Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a record?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the truth may be closer to this.
LR RWD is not what people want. People who are prepared to pay $60K for a mid size sedan will want the options. So D, gotta have. It's likely much easier to sell in the USA/CA 100,000 LR D than 100,000 non-D. Within a few months we'll know, I suppose. But they may just discontinue non-D LR after a while. People had their chance with the Premium interior version. One week deliveries, no reservation. No need to make that for USA/CA anymore. Europe? Only if people spec it.

Almost all their recent vins have been AWD/Dual motor. They have tons of people waiting for it in the US, so for now they’ll spend all their time on that for several months.

I’m guessing he means $36k will never be sold.
I can see them kicking that can down the road some, get people to pull the trigger on D ($4K extra profit) and premium interior ($2-3K?) first.
With years going by since announcement, the $36K price point will be harder to achieve at projected margins due to relentless inflation. And, at least current versions take more manual labor than anticipated, adding to production cost.

I can see them kicking that can down the road some, get people to pull the trigger on D ($4K extra profit) and premium interior ($2-3K?) first.
With years going by since announcement, the $36K price point will be harder to achieve at projected margins due to relentless inflation. And, at least current versions take more manual labor than anticipated, adding to production cost.

I don’t see them reducing the PUP package to $2-3k. I wonder if the reduction in battery production cost can offset inflation. But yea SR with PUP will probably be the first option though I could see them making the AWD first to keep purchase prices up. The “$35,000” version might be available at the end of the year next year but I’m guessing they will want to keep PUP required for as long as possible as they will start shipping cars overseas somewhat soon and adding a non premium version adds quite a bit of variety in production.

No reservation. I submitted an order on 08/10/18. Got a voicemail yesterday on 08/13/18 to schedule delivery. Called today on 08/14/18 and scheduled delivery for this Saturday on 08/18/18.

Wow... Very fast.. I order 7/1.. VIN number assigned 8/2.. Delievery scheduled for 8/12... Delivery canceled the day before and still no rescheduled delivery date.. My delivery was scheduled for MDR... Hope it works for you..

I also expect that long-range RWD is going to disappear pretty quickly. I'm not even 100% sure short-range RWD will end up happening, if Tesla cuts enough cost out of the battery pack design...

I am coming from a pick up truck to my Model 3, its been a long time since I have owned a car, but, the Long Range RWD is exactly what I wanted. I would probably not purchase a short range and I certainly would not pay for AWD. Living in Phoenix, I didn't even look at the price of the AWD.

Just saying there are people out there they may still want the RWD. It might be something that is less common (like trying to find an 8' bed pick up truck on a dealers lot, rare, but you can certainly order one). But then again, Tesla is changing the way we buy cars, so maybe they won't keep the bottom 5% of sellers and focus on the rest.

Interesting that they don't make a Performance RWD.

I am partial towards AWD nowadays, since I live in an area full of hills and drive in wet conditions 9 months out of the year. But, to be honest, with proper tires, it isn't necessary for most people.