Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a S70D Unicorn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S70 built 11/2015 and I know it has a true 70KWH battery. Helping a buddy find a good used Model S and I came across a 70D for sale that was built in March 2016 just before the new body style and 75D cars were announced. I think I recall reading that the battery was ready before the new body style so a few lucky buyers of the old nosed S70 and S70D ended up with 75Kwh batteries. This article kinda’ confirms this but it’s a May article speaking specifically to the new nosed S70 and S70D’s. Can anyone confirm if the March 70D is really a unicorn with a 75 in it and can these be confirmed somehow when inspecting the vehicle?
Tesla Model S 70 Is Really a Model S 75 You Can Upgrade After Purchase

The term "unicorn" is used far too freely on this website so... Sure. Why not. Your car is a unicorn.

OMG, I can't agree enough!

I'd like to keep a list of the REAL unicorns. AFAIK, there are:

1. 2014 P85 and P85+ with AP1 (i.e. "The 300")
2. ??

The definition of a "Unicorn" is a car that was not orderable and Tesla only made a small number as a transition between two option/feature sets. For instance, a lot of people call the P85D with the Performance Plus suspension a unicorn. It is not. Tesla made thousands of these vehicles for 5 months. It wasn't a transition model, or error, or a few odd one-offs. Also, P85Ds with Ludicrous are not unicorns, as the L option was available to all original owners for a fee. Now if you find a P85DL+, it's a rare car because not many exist, but it's still not a unicorn. Rarity does not mean unicorn status.

2. ??

The definition of a "Unicorn" is a car that was not orderable and Tesla only made a small number as a transition between two option/feature sets. For instance, a lot of people call the P85D with the Performance Plus suspension a unicorn. It is not. Tesla made thousands of these vehicles for 5 months. It wasn't a transition model, or error, or a few odd one-offs. Also, P85Ds with Ludicrous are not unicorns, as the L option was available to all original owners for a fee. Now if you find a P85DL+, it's a rare car because not many exist, but it's still not a unicorn. Rarity does not mean unicorn status.

Damn I thought my P85DL+ with Arachnids and 4G LTE was a unicorn. Now my life isn't "rainbows & unicorns" anymore. :(

I think a true Tesla unicorn is a Model S that hasn't had a door handle replaced. :D

I have both a S40 and S70D. Woooah, double unicorn rainbow?!?!?

fbf1c4d062f801c0_Picture_12.xlarge.jpg

2. ??

I'm thinking of an (the?) S85D with green exterior paint. To my knowledge, only one of these exists, originally belonged (maybe still does) to someone who used to be active here on TMC. It was made possible by timing and some sort of intervention during ordering or production. The owner didn't post any exterior shots of his car because he didn't want to get anyone in trouble, but someone finally got a picture of it at a Supercharger and posted it on TMC. To me that's a unicorn.

Bruce.