Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this consumption normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this is my first Winter in Model 3. It was -4 outside yesterday and was taking kids to swimming (so about 4kms drive) and noticed very high battery consumption. Is this normal? (see images).

Attachments

• 20191111_185652.jpg
    20191111_185652.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20191111_190337.jpg
    20191111_190337.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 79
Assuming you weren't flooring it 4km's yes this is normal as the heater in your car can eat up to 3-4kW of power. The motors will also run inefficiency draining up to 7kW of extra power to heat up your batteries. So all this extra power being used is amplified when driving short trips.

Your consumption while not moving is technically infinity. So yes for short slow trips this is normal.

Edit: You're spending a lot of energy heating the cabin, and not a lot of km to divide by gives a big consumption number, the further you drive the more it spreads out the initial heating.

And in snow you get less traction which also reduces efficiency. In my four winters of experience in a Tesla the worst case scenario is snow/freezing rain where traction is bad and you are sliding around, traffic is very heavy so that you are moving less than 40km/h and you need to keep front and rear defrosters going at 100% all the time so that your windows don't freeze over.

Reactions: bijan
I get about 10% less than those numbers. Heat at 23c and very little aggressive driving. 100kms today took 55% of the battery charge. The first 50kms were right after a 20-90% charge and I had regen dots the entire time. Even into the 70%s

So, this is my first Winter in Model 3. It was -4 outside yesterday and was taking kids to swimming (so about 4kms drive) and noticed very high battery consumption. Is this normal? (see images).

After our snowstorm just an FYI if you weren’t aware but in your 2’nd picture the front window defroster symbol is blue. That’s cold air. Tap it again to turn the symbol red for warm air.

If you really want to lower your consumption and extend range.

With only the driver (you) in the car. Go 15.5 or even LO without recirc and a blanket/throw on your legs. Seat warmer to 1 or 2 and you're all set. Depending on the battery temperatures, you should get near 150Wh/km.

That set up might not go so well with the significant other or rear passengers for a road trip unless everyone agrees to blanket up :).

• Funny
Reactions: HAHAyes
If you really want to lower your consumption and extend range.

With only the driver (you) in the car. Go 15.5 or even LO without recirc and a blanket/throw on your legs. Seat warmer to 1 or 2 and you're all set. Depending on the battery temperatures, you should get near 150Wh/km.

That set up might not go so well with the significant other or rear passengers for a road trip unless everyone agrees to blanket up :).
Cool thanks will try it out when alone