Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took the car (RWD) out for its first proper drive yesterday for a trip to Center Parcs.

Managed 204 wh/mi. This was driving normally, 2 adults + 2 kids and both boots full. Climate set to 20c. Outside temp 10c. No preconditioning.

This is my first EV but from my research this seems pretty impressive?

What is everyone else seeing?

IMG_2286.jpeg

Took the car (RWD) out for its first proper drive yesterday for a trip to Center Parcs.

Managed 204 wh/mi. This was driving normally, 2 adults + 2 kids and both boots full. Climate set to 20c. Outside temp 10c. No preconditioning.

View attachment 1014909
Brilliant. Was it uphill on the way back? 🤣🤣
Enjoy.

Reactions: Adopado

It’s very difficult to judge efficiency just on one trip. So many variables.

You don’t say your speed. That is a big one.

Colder than this, I’ve seen sub 200Wh/mile trips and >300Wh/mile trips for same regular 15 mile journey, albeit both ends of the spectrum.

So many variables.
That may be true. But the fact of the matter is diesel cars showed a bit of efficiency similar to this - remember the 2L diesel craze after BMW and VW showed some efficiency. But we did not discuss all these variables or even after considering these variables they were certified ‘efficient’. I would say the same for the Highland model compared to where tesla model 3 started. And i don’t think there is any two ways about that.

These look like good figures, but your average speed we around 30mph, so goes a good way to explaining it. I've kept a Do Not Reset trip meter running since I got my M3 in March '21 so I have a lifetime average (251 Wh/mi after 45k). I think you'll find a longer trip at 70mph will see figures closer to 230 in the RWD..

got my M3 in March '21 so I have a lifetime average (251 Wh/mi after 45k). I think you'll find a longer trip at 70mph will see figures closer to 230 in the RWD..
I got mine March 21 and did 21,000 miles with lifetime average of 239 wh/mi. Had done 2 Europe trips, 2 highland, one trip to the lakes and one to the peak district and 2 cornwall trips. The other use was for school drop off and pick up. OP would get much better lifetime average considering how it is doing at the moment.

Reactions: Burley

View attachment 1014909
This is good. 5 miles per kwh.......I can get as high as almost 6 miles if I hypermile during temparate weather (50-70 F)

RSymons has just done a test on his new LR Highland - very impressive. He was getting 212 wh/mile.
If you want a meaningful efficiency review look at the Tesla Bjorn ones, the RSymons one isn’t great and arguably misleading.

I’m not suggesting the efficiency isn’t good, but heat pump owners often get that sort of efficiency before Highland so yiu really need a scientific comparison to know if it’s significantly improved

Last edited:
RSymons has just done a test on his new LR Highland - very impressive. He was getting 212 wh/mile.
Looks very good to me for this time of the year and it's not really surprising that it should do better Unlike Hyundai that discontinued their most efficient model and still considered the efficiency king with nothing better or nearly as good to show for it!

Reactions: boombap
I'm regularly under 200wh/mile in London.
Last 5k miles in January are hoovering around 214wh/m with lots of stops and go traffic in London.
On longer trip London to Leeds in December 176wh/mile in 72 plate RWD model 3 with PS4 tyres at 40psi.
100% can bring it down to 160wh/m with more efficient tyres.

I'm regularly under 200wh/mile in London.
Last 5k miles in January are hoovering around 214wh/m with lots of stops and go traffic in London.
On longer trip London to Leeds in December 176wh/mile in 72 plate RWD model 3 with PS4 tyres at 40psi.
100% can bring it down to 160wh/m with more efficient tyres.
Blimey! I’m particularly impressed by London to Leeds @ 176Wh/mile … did you not go on the motorway?