Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this consumption normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find if I preheat the car for 5-10 minutes it maintains the temperature pretty well for short drives. Still need to turn on the cool air to defrost the windows (or roll them down slightly and briefly to vent the warm condensation). Doing this I got 126 Wh/km on a 10km trip when it was -10C.

I’ve also started using the auto temp feature set to 19-20. Way more comfortable as the fan speed adjusts automatically (and AC vs heat), and way better on range if I keep the climate on the whole time. Short trip at 0C was about 180-200 Wh/km.

Should also not that this is an SR+, with extremely limited regen, but the new one pedal driving definitely helps. And always preheat at home while plugged in.

I find if I preheat the car for 5-10 minutes it maintains the temperature pretty well for short drives. Still need to turn on the cool air to defrost the windows (or roll them down slightly and briefly to vent the warm condensation). Doing this I got 126 Wh/km on a 10km trip when it was -10C.

I’ve also started using the auto temp feature set to 19-20. Way more comfortable as the fan speed adjusts automatically (and AC vs heat), and way better on range if I keep the climate on the whole time. Short trip at 0C was about 180-200 Wh/km.

Should also not that this is an SR+, with extremely limited regen, but the new one pedal driving definitely helps. And always preheat at home while plugged in.
Did u turn the heat ON when u got 126wh km?

Anyone with a SR+ getting dots on the right side of the energy bar? This car, which I got in September acts totally differently than my LR. It got when a snowflake on the battery when it was cold. Not -3. When it did, driving for 20 minutes the dots and snowflake went away.
The Sr+ has had regen dots since I got it. Even in 25c and 60% soc. Wondering if anyone got the dots on the right too that won’t go away.

Anyone with a SR+ getting dots on the right side of the energy bar? This car, which I got in September acts totally differently than my LR. It got when a snowflake on the battery when it was cold. Not -3. When it did, driving for 20 minutes the dots and snowflake went away.
The Sr+ has had regen dots since I got it. Even in 25c and 60% soc. Wondering if anyone got the dots on the right too that won’t go away.

I have LR AWD and got those dots this morning.

Edit: drove 25km to work and still had dots on both sides and snowflake. Parked outside overnight and it was -11C this morning. Charged at work and parked at 0C covered parking so nothing on my way back.

Edit 2: with the dots on both sides this morning I was at 47% charge.

Last edited:
On the topic of Regen dots they have adjusted things a bit. I get Regen dots at 80-90% at temperatures where I didn't last year.

So software updates might be part of it.

On the other hand Sr+ has smaller battery. So max regen and max power output would be expected to be proportionally more limited when that happens.

I saw dots on right for the first time yesterday. They went away in the morning. I think it was -9 outside and battery was aroynd 25pcnt. Snowflake came on and off

Do u park indoors or outdoors?

outdoors. I just wondered if it was normal for the Sr+. It seems far more susceptible to temperature than the LR. Not saying the LR was perfect but it didn’t have regen dots at 15c. When it did have them they went away after driving or charging for a bit. The dots on the right side never came on unless it was really cold and certainly didn’t stay there after an hour of driving.

Lastly my efficiency on the LR was about 30-35% in these temps. The SR+ is approaching 50%

So, this is my first Winter in Model 3. It was -4 outside yesterday and was taking kids to swimming (so about 4kms drive) and noticed very high battery consumption. Is this normal? (see images).
I do my best to explain why. As you may know, M3 has one heater/cooler system to heat/cool the battery and cabin altogether. MX ans MS have two separate systems. So, when you start driving your car after a long cold night, the very first 10-20 km of your driving or let say until all right dots became sold line, the battery consumption is so high. No matter you turn on the heater or not. Because the heater starts heating up the battery to bring it up to normal function temperature. This is beyond our control. More you drive or time goes by, more dots become solid line, warmer the battery becomes and as a result, the average battery consumption starts falling lower and lower. Some people suggested pre-heat the car, which is not relevant here. The battery heater needs energy careless of what the source is. If car plugged in while pre-heating, obviously the battery regains most if not all its energy lost at the same time.

Example: In a 40 km trip, your first 10 to 20 km of driving may consume an equivalent of 50-60 km, and your last 10-20 km may consume 30-40 km. The longer you drive, much better your consumption average gets. I hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
outdoors. I just wondered if it was normal for the Sr+. It seems far more susceptible to temperature than the LR. Not saying the LR was perfect but it didn’t have regen dots at 15c. When it did have them they went away after driving or charging for a bit. The dots on the right side never came on unless it was really cold and certainly didn’t stay there after an hour of driving.

Lastly my efficiency on the LR was about 30-35% in these temps. The SR+ is approaching 50%

Don't have data from an SR+ but seems logical. Top Regen is a little over 70kw. For a LR the max supercharging rate is 150kw (more with v3) but still not going to do 70kw at 90% possibly why we see some more Regen dots at 90% with recent software updates or maybe you can do 70kw briefly in the case of Regen. But for Sr+ max supercharging rate is 100kw (it's supposed to go up to 170kw but that hasn't happened yet and even if it does LR is 250kw on v3). All that to say 70kw Regen is a higher fraction of the max charging rate on the Sr+ than on the lr. And reductions in charging rate due to temperature and soc are going to affect Regen sooner on an SR+. I don't have the numbers on power output but obviously peak output of an SR+ will be lower than on an LR so you'd expect to see dots sooner on the other end too.

Efficiency especially in winter may be related to a seemingly weird inverse relationship between efficiency and winter efficiency.

You can see the same thing in model 3 winter efficiency vs model x winter efficiency. Since the x is so inefficient comparitively the heat is a smaller fraction of total power output and so model x in winter is maybe only 20% worse than summer even at highway speeds. Basically heat is a fixed 3kw or 6kw if super cold and the more efficient the car the bigger efficiency hit it's going to be percentage wise. You don't really save any energy on heating in a smaller lighter car...

Last edited:
I do my best to explain why. As you may know, M3 has one heater/cooler system to heat/cool the battery and cabin altogether. MX ans MS have two separate systems. So, when you start driving your car after a long cold night, the very first 10-20 km of your driving or let say until all right dots became sold line, the battery consumption is so high. No matter you turn on the heater or not. Because the heater starts heating up the battery to bring it up to normal function temperature. This is beyond our control. More you drive or time goes by, more dots become solid line, warmer the battery becomes and as a result, the average battery consumption starts falling lower and lower. Some people suggested pre-heat the car, which is not relevant here. The battery heater needs energy careless of what the source is. If car plugged in while pre-heating, obviously the battery regains most or all its energy losing at the same time.

Example: In a 40 km trip, your first 10 to 20 km of driving may consume an equivalent of 50-60 km, and your last 10-20 km may consume 30-40 km. The longer you drive, much better your consumption average gets. I hope this helps.

From can bus data over obd2 I can tell that battery on LR is only heated while driving when cell temperature is below -7C. If plugged in to AC charger this bumps up to 10C. I think much higher when supercharging but haven't measured it.

Edit: also the heater is not used to heat the battery (on model 3). Current is run through the motors and this warms the stators. The draw is similar to the draw of the cabin heater but runs in parallel.

I do my best to explain why. As you may know, M3 has one heater/cooler system to heat/cool the battery and cabin altogether. MX ans MS have two separate systems. So, when you start driving your car after a long cold night, the very first 10-20 km of your driving or let say until all right dots became sold line, the battery consumption is so high. No matter you turn on the heater or not. Because the heater starts heating up the battery to bring it up to normal function temperature. This is beyond our control. More you drive or time goes by, more dots become solid line, warmer the battery becomes and as a result, the average battery consumption starts falling lower and lower. Some people suggested pre-heat the car, which is not relevant here. The battery heater needs energy careless of what the source is. If car plugged in while pre-heating, obviously the battery regains most if not all its energy lost at the same time.

Does the LR AWD have 1 system or 2?

Had snowflake but no right side dots today. LR AWD at 71% parked outside overnight (just below freezing). Snowflake disappeared just as I got to work 25km away at 61% battery SOC and battery cells at about 6.5C (made one stop on my way to work, and didn't check battery temperature before leaving).

I think you'd need a lot of data points but it would be interesting to see a graphical representation of snowflake vs battery temperature vs SOC. (same thing with propulsion dots).