Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this gen 1 or gen 2 seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is pretty subjective. I recently had an issue on a road trip with my 75xxx VIN Model S, and was given a loaner with the Gen 2 seats to complete a leg. Basically, I got out of my car with Gen 1 seats after a four hour leg, got into the loaner and drove 7 hours with Gen 2 seats, then back into my car with the Gen 1 seats.

The Gen 2 seats have more side bolster for sure, but I find the Gen 1 seats more comfortable for highway driving. YMMV

Of course. Everything is subjective. My non-scientific impression from the forum chatter in 2014/2015 is that most people preferred the Gen 2. But there were definitely some dissenters.

When I took my car in for service, Tesla loaned me a 2017 P100D. The seats were so amazingly comfortable that I ordered a new Model S which I picked up yesterday. These seats are not comfortable (at least for my body) and I really want to find a way to purchase the super comfy seats with larger bolsters. (the next gen seats?). Please can anyone offer suggestions on where to find as Tesla no longer makes them? If I find them, will they even fit?

Interesting. A 2017 might've had the "next gen" seats vs the current "premium seats" if it was built prior to August 17 I believe. They're similar in design/look except that the premium seat has an adjustable headrest and is only available in cloth or fake leather (next gen came with cloth or nappa leather). Still, this is the first time I've heard of someone preferring the next gens over the premium seats-- from what I gather the "premium" seats feel a bit softer/cushier.

I had a 2013 P85 with the classic seats. I always felt like I’d slide around when taking a corner and so did my passengers.

We just took delivery of a 12/14 build P85D and it had the next gen seats and there’s no way I’d ever go back. When taking a corner I stay planted in the seat as do the people sitting in the back seats. (My back seats have the extra bolstering as well...if i remember correctly many people complained about the extra rear bolstering not because of comfort but because the seats don’t lay entirely flat when folded)

After a Vegas road trip 350+ miles each way I can report that the gen 1.5 seats were largely okay. No issues with the side or back but my butt with relatively low natural cushioning def got sore an hour in and had to shift a bit every now and then. A seat cushion would prob fix a lot of that but would take away from OEM look.

A seat cushion would prob fix a lot of that but would take away from OEM look.

9862115815868p

This $40 backjoy thing works well. Just toss it on your seat for long trips.

Reactions: drummerboy7816
The appearance of the seats. Gen 2 seats have much more side bolstering on the seat cushions and the back rest.

Watch Tesla Model S Seats Evolve Over Time

I should also clarify ... there are three versions of the seats. There's the classic like what you're buying, "next generation" with deep bolsters, and the current seats. At some point during the switch from classic to next generation, cars were getting next gen front seats and classic rear seats.
The video speaks of four versions rather than 3. One thing the video does not say is that the Next generation seats, the ones with the heavy bolstering supposedly made by Recaro, were optional and available at extra cost at the same time as what the video calls Gen 2 seats. I know that because when i ordered my car in July 2015 I had the choice of ordering the NextGen seats and chose not to.

I find my car's seats to be quite uncomfortable and use an after-market seat cushion (August 2015 build.) But curiously, before I ordered my car, I once rented a Model S from Hertz to try it out. I drove the car for several hours in one day, which should have been a good test for the seats. They did not bother me, so far as I could recall later. The car was a 2012 P85, so it had the earliest generation seats, with the alcantara side panels and red accents. Otherwise, they would have been the same, or almost the same, as what I got on my car. So maybe the production change in late 2014 mentioned in the video linked above actually made a substantial difference in the seat comfort? In any case, I have always wondered why the seats in the 2012 car seemed more comfortable....