Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this Tesla’s consumer service? (Trying) ti buy a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I have been following these forums acquiring very valuable information about the company and their cars before deciding to buy a Model S.

I went to one of Tesla’s showrooms in Spain to make a drive test and after some days I found an inventory Model S 75D that fitted my needs. It had a nice discount. It was car that was not used for test drives, just on the store to show to customers. I put down the 4000€ deposit on July 29th and started the process to have the car delivered.

I went on vacation and was told that the car will be ready after I had came back home. All was fine.

About one month later I was contacted by the manager of the store saying that the car that I had blocked had been used during that month (internal use he said), and that it had license plates and about 500 miles. That also made the lease plan that I had looked into unavailable for that car since only new cars qualify for that type of plan (that lease plan was also provided by Tesla through a third party). I was amazed that it took them one month to realize this.

I told them that I had made the deposit for a car with no miles (ie. new) and at the advertised price and that I would like a similar car with the same price I was offered. The answer was that they were sorry about the situation but that they could not provide me with a car with that price. My options were to keep that used car at the price I had seen and no lease plan on that one (no way), or look for any of the inventory cars they had and pay the price showed (about 7000€ more)

I was not happy at all with that but took a look anyway. Later I was told that they had some inventory cars on The Netherlands and that they could make a price adjustment to those. The prices showed was 80.000€ and with the price adjustment I could buy it for about 75.300€. As it was an standard range and the price was just about 2000€ more that the original for the 75D I decided to go with that.

I was told that I needed to place a deposit again... they could not move my original deposit to the new order... Fine, I put down another 4000€ (still waiting for the first deposit to be reimbursed...) and went with that option.

Some days later I received an email with my order agreement (which I had not signed or approved) and the price showed was the original 80.000€ without the promised adjustment. I thought it was a mistake so contacted the manager who said he would look into it. Some hours later he came back with “I am deeply sorry, it was my mistake, I thought that car could have that adjustment but it cannot since it had a previous adjustment”. So he said the price is 80.000€, can’t do anything about that, pay it or cancel the order.

I am really amazed with the way Tesla treats their customer‘s problems created by themselves. They change basic features of the car like being new or used or the price and think that being sorry is enough.

I don’t know if that is the way Tesla treats these kind of situations or if it is just some isolated case of bad luck on my side, but it’s the worst experience buying I car I have ever had.

Well, I’m really looking forward getting your point of view. Thanks for reading!

I don’t know if that is the way Tesla treats these kind of situations or if it is just some isolated case of bad luck on my side, but it’s the worst experience buying I car I have ever had.

I find this hard to believe if dealerships in Spain are anything like dealerships in the US, where you sit for hours and play games to try to not get ripped off by their tactics.

Ask for it to be elevated to the next level and see if they can help you. If they can't and you feel this is a bad experience indicative of Tesla service, then cancel it and vote with your wallet.

I find this hard to believe if dealerships in Spain are anything like dealerships in the US, where you sit for hours and play games to try to not get ripped off by their tactics.

Ask for it to be elevated to the next level and see if they can help you. If they can't and you feel this is a bad experience indicative of Tesla service, then cancel it and vote with your wallet.

I guess here you get different experiences depending on the dealership and/or the brand. I agree that some negotiation is needed to get a “good price”. What I can assure you is that, no dealership here changes the price of the car offered once you get their offer and “seal it” paying a deposit. Not even the lowest quality brand.

Another problem I have is that there is no way to escalate the problem and I also think that the manager I talk to has no power to make any changes. I also suspect that the are probably not very happy with having these issues passed up to their “executive” arm, since that could make them look responsible on those mistakes.

Going to law court is another option I am considering...

Welcome to Tesla "communications".
If you think this is bad, ... buy it and experience the service side.
If you think this is bad, ...
I guess here you get different experiences depending on the dealership and/or the brand. I agree that some negotiation is needed to get a “good price”. What I can assure you is that, no dealership here changes the price of the car offered once you get their offer and “seal it” paying a deposit. Not even the lowest quality brand.

Another problem I have is that there is no way to escalate the problem and I also think that the manager I talk to has no power to make any changes. I also suspect that the are probably not very happy with having these issues passed up to their “executive” arm, since that could make them look responsible on those mistakes.

Going to law court is another option I am considering...

Is it that bad??

Actively following the forum and I would say mixed experience but what you read tends to lean to the “bad” side...
There is still a long way to get It on track so be aware and don’t expect a smooth ride, that’s My personal opinion.
It’s seems to be hit and miss.

Reactions: Ifernbol
I think with Tesla, any time you try to “bargain hunt” you risk getting burned. So many of these types of stories are always around “discounted” cars. I’ve ordered 2 Tesla’s at the normal price and it went very smooth, timely and no defects. I think people spoil the whole process by bargain hunting.

Good luck hunting.

• Love
Reactions: Huskyf
I think with Tesla, any time you try to “bargain hunt” you risk getting burned. So many of these types of stories are always around “discounted” cars. I’ve ordered 2 Tesla’s at the normal price and it went very smooth, timely and no defects. I think people spoil the whole process by bargain hunting.

Good luck hunting.

Well, Yes and no....Tesla has procedures that are very strict and don’t allow wiggle room so if you walk outside the lines, you might get burned and outcome could always be different. That being Said, as I understood, they offered to and aggreed with the OP. So they basically f’ed up.... if this was all agreed upon on paper then.....

Well, Yes and no....Tesla has procedures that are very strict and don’t allow wiggle room so if you walk outside the lines, you might get burned and outcome could always be different. That being Said, as I understood, they offered to and aggreed with the OP. So they basically f’ed up.... if this was all agreed upon on paper then.....

Yes, the best part is that I have all documents that backs what I’m saying. Even the final price offered of the second car.

And, to be clear, I just wanted to buy a Model S offered by Tesla as a New inventory car at the price they were asking. No bargaining here.

Good luck hunting.

No hunting here. Just found on Tesla’s web a car that was new, I liked it and the price was fine. And just ordered that car. What happens after that is not something related to me, but just some miss management on Tesla’s side. They admitted that the car should have been put aside once I made the deposit and, instead, it was used internally...

It should be reasonable to think that Tesla also profit selling those inventory cars and that the same care should be used when selling those.

In case Tesla is not capable of selling inventory cars at the publicized terms, they should simply stop doing it.

Thats just my humble opinion

No hunting here. Just found on Tesla’s web a car that was new, I liked it and the price was fine. And just ordered that car. What happens after that is not something related to me, but just some miss management on Tesla’s side. They admitted that the car should have been put aside once I made the deposit and, instead, it was used internally...

It should be reasonable to think that Tesla also profit selling those inventory cars and that the same care should be used when selling those.

In case Tesla is not capable of selling inventory cars at the publicized terms, they should simply stop doing it.

Thats just my humble opinion

I would not touch an inventory car, period, even at normal price. They are likely returns, cancelations or rejects. Even if just a cancelation they have sat around, maybe test driven from possibly buyers.

The build date on the car I just got was 7 days old. The biggest issue with Tesla is handling the cars, not building them. Most are probably fine, but you increase risk by not custom ordering and picking it up exactly when they suggest. That’s just how it is.

I would not touch an inventory car, period, even at normal price. They are likely returns, cancelations or rejects. Even if just a cancelation they have sat around, maybe test driven from possibly buyers.

The build date on the car I just got was 7 days old. The biggest issue with Tesla is handling the cars, not building them. Most are probably fine, but you increase risk by not custom ordering and picking it up exactly when they suggest. That’s just how it is.

Thanks for your advice on inventory cars. I would not buy a test drive unit either. In this case the one I chose was not used for test drives (at least until the problem appeared).

But I think the main point of this post is not about buying or not buying an inventory car. It’s about the problems I encountered trying to buy a Model S and the customer service (or lack of it) that I got. And if that kind of customer service level that I got is the standard for Tesla.

Thanks again for your feedback

I don't think "customer service" is in Tesla's training program for employees, or in the company's mission statement.
They don't care because as soon as one customer is unhappy and walks away, another will step in and take his place. Why bother with customer service with there's a line of people waiting to buy? Most potential customers do NOT know about the negative aspects of buying, owning, and especially servicing a Tesla vehicle.

I don't think "customer service" is in Tesla's training program for employees, or in the company's mission statement.
They don't care because as soon as one customer is unhappy and walks away, another will step in and take his place. Why bother with customer service with there's a line of people waiting to buy? Most potential customers do NOT know about the negative aspects of buying, owning, and especially servicing a Tesla vehicle.

Then maybe I’m a lucky guy and all this situation is letting me avoid all those issues.

Now, seriously, if excellent customer service is not well stablished in the roots of any company selling any kind of product to the public, it will end closing store, no matter how good those products are. As I like the products and the mission, I hope that does not happen to Tesla.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Then maybe I’m a lucky guy and all this situation is letting me avoid all those issues.

Now, seriously, if excellent customer service is not well established in the roots of any company selling any kind of product to the public, it will end closing store, no matter how good those products are. As I like the products and the mission, I hope that does not happen to Tesla.

You may be a lucky guy, not having to go through the Tesla ownership experience.

Reactions: GreenT
Is it really that bad?? What has been your experience??

Non responsive customer service, left many emails and voicemails about nagging issues with OTA updates, shoddily assembled cars. None of the issues affect drivability, but they greatly downgrade the experience. Nobody returned texts or my phone calls. I don't have time, nor should I have to, chase them around. I'm the customer here. I've never been ignored to this extent with any other car manufacturers, which Tesla fanbois LOVE to make fun of. Sure they make archaic ICE vehicles, but their attention to customers is usually top notch or at least satisfactory.

• Helpful
Is it really that bad?? What has been your experience??
No it is not. I personally know 5 Tesla owners (the only Tesla owners I know) other than myself who have had zero issues with Tesla. I've used the Service Center a few times with no problems. Some people have a bad experience, others do not. There is certainly room for improvement especially with customer communications, but it is not has bad as it is being portrayed in this thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: dethman and GreenT
Walk away now... I bought an inventory model 3 and my ownership experience with service and customer service has been so bad I got a lemon lawyer. It's been 6 months LOL

Tesla is hyper-focused on sales right now and if they are still this bad at sales, imagine what service will be like in your country since service is an afterthought and a money-losing department to the company. Don't fall for the "it never needs service". Pushing to increase manufacturing leads to poor build, then service centers are busy with dealing with lots of poorly built cars and poor repair jobs. That leaves you with zero customer service, nothing fixed, and lots of stress/frustration.

You can actually speak with someone right now since you haven't given them your money yet. Once they got your money, you're on your own....

• Disagree
Reactions: Ifernbol and VT_EE