Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the best sounding Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are the "system" sounds handled when using the optical input? (Like Forward Collision Warning and Autopilot warning sounds?)

The Mosconi DSP has the ability to take a signal and override the existing signal. Example....if you are using the optic input, you could set the OEM system to NOT play any audio. (have it in standby or bluetooth mode without streaming music) and once the Mosconi senses a signal on that system, it will override the optic audio and then revert back to optic when it goes away.

I am a bit of an audiophile, but I can't imagine upgrading my Tesla Model S because there is too much background noise.

The wind, the rattles, etc.

If I did get a system it would largely be sound dampening, noise cancelation, etc. Where it mostly focused on reducing all that background noise so I could enjoy the music. Versus just trying to override all that noise with lots of decibels.

Killing a lot of the ambient noise will certainly help you concentrate more on the music, but it is not going to make it sound more clear or give the music more separation. I am not sure there is any OEM audio system that I have been impressed by. And if you are content with any OEM system (UHF, Burmester, B&O, Bose, ect) than that simply means you have not experienced anything that sounds better. You are probably comparing it to varies other OEM systems you have had. Going from the UHF system here to what you see here was like comparing regular DVD quality to 4k. You have to experience what audio can sound like in a car to understand the potential and justify the investment.

Reactions: Fresco
All of these OEM "hi-end" systems are made of paper and plastic........all of them. Some even go to the extent of using a yellow paper cone to give the look of a hi end material (cough cough BMW). Fact is the OEM does not care about audio and they never will, they will still sell plenty of system pushing a 30 speaker system to a consumer who equates good sound with the amount of speakers that is in the vehicle.

The plan is to blow the object out with sound and avoid the impact . ( sour grapes ! ) seriously nice upgrade , I have sound envy. Did it seriously cost you $35 k @Dickerns ?

The same reason some people will buy a Tesla over a Prius. Most of the money here is in the equipment. It is about the experience. And when you sit in your car and play your favorite music, you a transformed to a world where you are getting a one on one experience with that artist. The songs that you have heard thousands of time will reveal new sounds, breaths, instrumentation, movement and being able to tell the size of the room they are signing in. The best way to describe the feeling it gives you is an "out of body" experience. And that is absolutely priceless. It is not easy to replicate, but it does take the right equipment with the know how in tuning the system. Making it look good is just the cherry on top.

The same reason some people will buy a Tesla over a Prius. Most of the money here is in the equipment. It is about the experience. And when you sit in your car and play your favorite music, you a transformed to a world where you are getting a one on one experience with that artist. The songs that you have heard thousands of time will reveal new sounds, breaths, instrumentation, movement and being able to tell the size of the room they are signing in. The best way to describe the feeling it gives you is an "out of body" experience. And that is absolutely priceless. It is not easy to replicate, but it does take the right equipment with the know how in tuning the system. Making it look good is just the cherry on top.

Absolutely. You clearly love what you do. Would you be able to roughly share the break down of the cost of goods and labour? Clearly money can buy happiness :)

I am a bit of an audiophile, but I can't imagine upgrading my Tesla Model S because there is too much background noise.

The wind, the rattles, etc.

If I did get a system it would largely be sound dampening, noise cancelation, etc. Where it mostly focused on reducing all that background noise so I could enjoy the music. Versus just trying to override all that noise with lots of decibels.
What's the manufactured date of your Tesla?

What's the manufactured date of your Tesla?
June 2015, but I see no evidence that the new ones are really any better.

Same complaints from new owners. Partly related is I like music with high dynamic range so it's not really suited for a car environment anyways. Unless I'm listening to music while sitting in my garage. Which I do from time to time as an escape.

Amazing install -- such attention to detail.

Can the installer or owner provide feedback on the affect of the sound dampening material that was installed? I'm curious if it substantially made a difference, and if it added much weight to the car.

Amazing install -- such attention to detail.

Can the installer or owner provide feedback on the affect of the sound dampening material that was installed? I'm curious if it substantially made a difference, and if it added much weight to the car.

It does add quite a bit of weight to the car. But as you can see in the before and after pictures of the sound dampening that Tesla puts little to no deadening on the cars metal. It makes a substantial difference. Adding the tile into each door also adds quite a bit of rigidity to the door skin while also cancelling the mid range reflections in the door panel behind the speaker.

Anybody have any experience with a brand called The Bit OPUS#3. I'm thinking about getting a DAP for the Tesla and have read some great reviews on this DAP. This would be in lieu of the Astell & Kern Digital Audio Player

Here you go

Astell & Kern AK380

18319321_10154420706425868_1321806706694461386_o.jpg
18319279_10154420706430868_259371728640605832_o.jpg
18319199_10154420706660868_8863247836966040483_o.jpg
18278569_10154420706655868_7167767635310416411_o.jpg
18278818_10154420706620868_666634002720859470_o.jpg
18319408_10154420706420868_8831092159968032628_o.jpg

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Matt,
You do beautiful work. Thank you for sharing it.
Did this car have UHFS? If so, did you bypass both amps?
If a person were planning on upgraded aftermarket audio, would you recommend they get UHFS or standard audio in their car?

This car here I don't believe has UHFS. We only did a subwoofer upgrade at this time. However, with my experience in the past with the standard and UHFS, there is less signal distortion on the standard system. That would be the preferred for integration.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Can't judge w/o hearing, but looks great and I love Focal. At this level, though, how about custom enclosing the door speakers, like you did (wonderfully) with the sub? Those cavities definitely boom/muddy up the mid-base, on the stock stereo. How much does the matting really help?

After listening to the system for a few weeks now, I'm still trying to determine whether such a high investment was worth it. There is no question that the sound is way better than the stock UHFS system. However, when playing heavily compressed music, there is not a significant difference and in fact, the sound coming out of those very expensive speakers may cause your head to spin in agony. However, when playing CD quality or high resolution music, the difference is significant. To really feel the true power of this system, you need to invest in a quality DAP and a collection of hi-res music. Everyone who's listened to the sound has been in awe of it. They all say it feels like they're at a live concert and it really does!

Is this the limit for optimal sound in a car? As great as this system sounds, was I expecting a little bit more? Does the improvement in sound justify the high cost of the system?

I'm enjoying the system, but I still have those questions and hopefully, I'll be able to answer them in the next few weeks.

With respect to the sound dampening/deadening, I can't really say that the reduction of road noise has been significant. When the car is at rest, you're basically in a music studio. However, when it's moving, I still hear a lot of road noise. Perhaps, most of the noise is coming from the roof? I am not sure, but I still hear a lot of noise.