Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the new charging rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 100D seems to be charging much more slowly. Arrived, after 150km drive with supercharger set as navigation destination, with about 30% charge. Charge rate briefly riser to 110kW but then dropped quickly to <90, then at about 50%, <60kW

so I don’t know if the battery is cold, or software is different or what. Last summer I regularly got 140+ kW.

I’m going to hope it is just winter (about 6 Celsius)
Sounds like Tesla capped the charge rate of your battery! If you set SC as nav destination battery should be sufficiently warm to get full charging speed after a 150km drive.

I don't know what observations led people to say the banks are switched in multiples of 36 kW. I saw this recently when my car was at a charge state that would have allowed charging at 100+ kW and it started at 36 kW. After a few minutes it rose to 48 kW. Then after a few more minutes it rose to 84 kW. Some time later it rose to over 100 kW before eventually tapering down. Clearly these are multiples of 12 kW and not 36 kW.

Superchargers are made up of 12 individual charge units that each can deliver 12 kW. Three are always grouped together to keep the load on the there phase power source even.
Superchargers do switch in 36 kW increments. But other factors play into it as well. Often paired stalls are power limited. The car's cooling system can take up some of the power. Tot site power is often limited to limit demand charges.

This.

The Roseville, CA station at Galleria Mall does this. The A/B cabinets were actually four stalls apart because they configured it:

1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B

Instead of:

1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B 4A 4B

You really have to double-check the stall labels. I wish they would place the labels on top and on both sides instead of down low.

There is one in Rocky Mount, NC where the numbers and letters seem to be pretty much random.

Superchargers are made up of 12 individual charge units that each can deliver 12 kW. Three are always grouped together to keep the load on the there phase power source even.
Superchargers do switch in 36 kW increments. But other factors play into it as well. Often paired stalls are power limited. The car's cooling system can take up some of the power. Tot site power is often limited to limit demand charges.

I know that is the party line that people will post here. I have observed otherwise as I stated in the post you quoted. Those numbers were all multiples of 12 kW, exact multiples of 12 kW. That's enough evidence for me to believe the switching is done in 12 kW increments. Talking about cooling system power or total site limitations don't explain the numbers.

lots of good info here, but folks without a classic 85 battery may be fully unaware of the chargegate issues.. the guy that sold you the car was probably aware. 30-50kw charging at any SOC is the 'new normal' for these cars... also, these older cars do not prewarm the battery when going to a supercharger

I don't know what observations led people to say the banks are switched in multiples of 36 kW. I saw this recently when my car was at a charge state that would have allowed charging at 100+ kW and it started at 36 kW. After a few minutes it rose to 48 kW. Then after a few more minutes it rose to 84 kW. Some time later it rose to over 100 kW before eventually tapering down. Clearly these are multiples of 12 kW and not 36 kW.
See here: #1

Are you on a full supercharger (that says 120kw max when you click it on the map) or one of those smaller superchargers they've been installing in shopping centers? I think they're about half the power. Combine that with being cold and/or having charge rate capped. I've found being cold soaked (it was cold over night) makes a bigger difference than the actual ambient temperature during the day (I've had reduced regen at 65F after a chilly night).

• Helpful
Reactions: Kenz and Jverhelst
Apparently it's not just the "classics" that are having this issue based on the 3 examples below. I've rarely used a SC since our MS was delivered in November of 2017 and haven't used one in months. I have no idea when my charging rate dropped. We have just over 33,000 miles in case that matters.

#1 Thanksgiving returning home from Milpitas I stopped at an urban charger near Livermore using the SC as my destination on NoA and arrived with around 30%. I confirmed that I wouldn't be "paired" and began charging. Charge rate started at 42kw and the display showed 1 hour 15 minutes (to 80%). The charge rate remained at 42kw until the SoC hit 60% and the rate began tapering.

#2 Another return trip from Milpitas stopped at Tesla in Livermore to charge at an actual SC thinking that the previous low charge rate was due to the urban SC. Again I used the SC as my destination in NoA and arrived with approximately 30% SoC. The charge rate started at 68kw (not paired) and dropped to the 30's when paired with a P3. My charge rate remained in the 30's even after he left.

#3 Yuba City SC 10 stalls and I'm the only car. Arrived from Folsom with 20% using the SC as my destination. The charge rate started and remained at 68kw until I left at 50% SoC. I've used this SC before and at 20% SoC my charge rate previously was in the mid to upper 90's.

I guess I will begin taking pictures like the OP did whenever I use a SC from now on.

Do AP 1.0 / MCU 1 cars preheat the battery enroute to superchargers?

The release notes say so. I have tried and it doesn't seem to work. I watched the battery heater on the CAN bus. It didn't start on my way to the supercharger when the battery was cold. Once I plugged in, then it turned on the battery heater. Kind of too late :)

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85 and Kenz
For the math-wizards out there: what would be the new sweet spot in terms of driving speed in comparison to SuC charging "speed"? Tesla-Björn did calculate 200km/h for the Model3... For us it seems like the old days, the slower driver will cross the finish line faster...

... sorry, I need to be a bit more precise here: I am referring to the #chargegate affected S85/S70 classics (which is the whole fleet of them), and their by-software-reduced chargerate (example, see below):

SoC kW
10 81
15 80
20 83
25 79
30 75
35 70
40 65
45 61
50 54
55 46
60 42