Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this tire fit correct, does anyone have pictures of their Michelin cross climate 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
255/45/R19
1. Is this normal/installed correctly?
2. Will this be a problem (e.g. mud/snow)?
3. Should I get a different size?
Purchased the new CC2s for my 22 model Y, but the wheel lip sticks out. Other pictures in TMC or elsewhere seem to show the same thing.
CC2.jpg

Reactions: sewing1
IMG_8756.jpg

1. Cant confirm installation - but how does it sound while driving? Do you hear in a strange noises?
2. Have not tested in mud, but generally wet performance is amazing.
3. I have the same tire config, you should be OK.

This biggest thing with these tires is that you might have less efficiency, especially when they are new. But thicker side walls, make the ride quality soft/smooth.

View attachment 883100

1. Cant confirm installation - but how does it sound while driving? Do you hear in a strange noises?
2. Have not tested in mud, but generally wet performance is amazing.
3. I have the same tire config, you should be OK.

This biggest thing with these tires is that you might have less efficiency, especially when they are new. But thicker side walls, make the ride quality soft/smooth.
Thank you. I will be testing it in the snow either this weekend or next week.

My 20" ers did the same thing and they now look normal. it takes some time for the bead to set into the rim. Are they a different size than factory? That might make a difference also. My Inductions came with 255/40/20 and now have 255/45/20 do to what Michelin makes had to change tire pressures too 42psi for the Goodyear's and now 37psi do to size change.

My 255/45 X 19 (OEM size) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s are similar to the OP's, and they haven't budged a millimeter in 6k miles. I wish I had gone a size larger...50 aspect ratio...

I just don't understand the engineering/design behind this. The OEM ContiProContact didn't look like this.

Attachments

• MichelinPilotSport.jpg
    MichelinPilotSport.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 191
Still scratching my head why Tesla uses a 9.5" wide wheel on a 245/55 19 tire. This size tire will fit from a 7.5 to 9.5" wheels, being at the end of the chart they do stick out way too much IMHO. Here is the same size tire mounted on aftermarket 19 x8.5" wide wheels which is in middle of the allowable mounting width. Looks normal now and no real issue of curb rash any more. Sorry about the dirt, it's winter you know.
IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg

Reactions: alexcue
Sooo...for the visual esthetic, and to protect from curb rash with the 19" OEM Gemini/Apollo wheel, I need to go to a 275mm tire, which would decrease efficiency/range even greater than the 10% range loss with the non LRR 255 mm Michelin PilotSportA/S I've installed.

Gee...thanks, Elon. :(

Sooo...for the visual esthetic, and to protect from curb rash with the 19" OEM Gemini/Apollo wheel, I need to go to a 275mm tire, which would decrease efficiency/range even greater than the 10% range loss with the non LRR 255 mm Michelin PilotSportA/S I've installed.

Gee...thanks, Elon. :(
I don't think its visual that's just bonus. Instead stretching means a smaller tire which is lighter improving efficiency, sidewall is under pressure static which means max turn in response. The downsides no curb protection, less comfort, on the other hand the way they did it means the wheel openings can fit massive sizes overall. Last I read one dude is running 295 square! Thus yea there are compromises but the ceiling is pretty high so it still offers lots of options post stock.

Definitely waiting to see your snow performance.
Well, that took some time. Performance was definitely better in the snow and ice. Only once was there even the smallest slip when turning; however it was -1°F outside and it was pretty icy. The AWD + these tires performed much better than the pro-contact continentals all seasons which felt more like hockey pucks when turning at slow speeds and I didn't feel any spinning when starting from a dead stop. Changing lanes in the snow covered highway felt safe. I feel more confident taking this into the mountain snow, and that's what I was looking for in these new tires.

Well, that took some time. Performance was definitely better in the snow and ice. Only once was there even the smallest slip when turning; however it was -1°F outside and it was pretty icy. The AWD + these tires performed much better than the pro-co ntact continentals all seasons which felt more like hockey pucks when turning at slow speeds and I didn't feel any spinning when starting from a dead stop. Changing lanes in the snow covered highway felt safe. I feel more confident taking this into the mountain snow, and that's what I was looking for in these new tires.
A couple of days ago I was debating on whether or not to take the MY with the continentals on a 200 mile trip in white out conditions. What I ended up doing was putting a set of Hankook 4s2 (kind of Crossclimate 2 knock off) tires on our 2019 Rav4h for the trip. And yes - the conditions turned out to be a bear of a trip - 30 below zero, super icy and near zero visibility. The Hankooks did a superior job and I felt very confident. I'm not sure if the car took much of a hit on fuel economy - but for safety sake I didn't care. So for the few times we get very poor conditions, I'll leave the Tesla in the driveway.