Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 19" All Weather Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted this in a smaller sub-forum but not getting any traction, so I'll post here.

I have been looking around for a set of All Weather tires for my Model Y AWD on 19". I started looking around the usual Canadian tire sites (Kaltire, Costco, Canadian Tire) but none of them seem to have All Weather tires that fit the Model Y AWD 19" specs.

255-45-R19-104-ZR(Y) and XL

I see that black circles has Michelin CrossClimate 2 in specs, but on a V speed rating instead of ZR(Y).
Michelin.png

Curious if any of you guys have All Weather tires on your Model Y and where did you get them? Also, is the ZR(Y) (300km/h) speed rating a must have compared to V (240km/h)?

Posted this in a smaller sub-forum but not getting any traction, so I'll post here.

I have been looking around for a set of All Weather tires for my Model Y AWD on 19". I started looking around the usual Canadian tire sites (Kaltire, Costco, Canadian Tire) but none of them seem to have All Weather tires that fit the Model Y AWD 19" specs.

255-45-R19-104-ZR(Y) and XL

I see that black circles has Michelin CrossClimate 2 in specs, but on a V speed rating instead of ZR(Y).
Michelin.png

Curious if any of you guys have All Weather tires on your Model Y and where did you get them? Also, is the ZR(Y) (300km/h) speed rating a must have compared to V (240km/h)?
The speed rating of the OE 19" Continental Procontact RX all-season tires is Y (186 MPH/300 KPH). The top speed of the Long Range Model Y is limited to 135 MPH/217 KPH. A tire with an H (131 MPH/210 KPH) speed rating is not adequate for the Long Range Model Y. A tire with a V (149 MPH/240 KPH) speed rating is adequate for use with the Long Range Model Y.

Reasons to go with a W (168 MPH/270 KPH) or Y (186 MPH/300 KPH) speed rating include being required for the Performance Model Y (Top Speed 155 MPH). Also, the W or Y tire will usually have a stiffer sidewall for improved handling at higher speeds.

Winter tires rarely have a speed rating higher than H (131 MPH/210KPH).

The speed rating of the OE 19" Continental Procontact RX all-season tires is Y (186 MPH/300 KPH). The top speed of the Long Range Model Y is limited to 135 MPH/217 KPH. A tire with an H (131 MPH/210 KPH) speed rating is not adequate for the Long Range Model Y. A tire with a V (149 MPH/240 KPH) speed rating is adequate for use with the Long Range Model Y.

Reasons to go with a W (168 MPH/270 KPH) or Y (186 MPH/300 KPH) speed rating include being required for the Performance Model Y (Top Speed 155 MPH). Also, the W or Y tire will usually have a stiffer sidewall for improved handling at higher speeds.

Winter tires rarely have a speed rating higher than H (131 MPH/210KPH).
I guess I cant go dashing through the snow... at 217kph...

Tha_Ape: Of COURSE you can...through the guard rail, down the slope, dashing all the way!!!!!

There are several threads ongoing about A/S tires for the MY. I'm too lazy to search for you.

CrossClimate2: Probably a great tire snow, because it's LOUD JUST LOOKING AT IT standing still!!!! I tried, 2500miles on a 2019 Avalon Hybrid, also 500 miles on my 2021 MYLR. Swapped them for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. MUCH quieter than OEM ContiProContacts, MUCH quieter than CC2s. Decreased efficiency (first 30k miles, lifetime was 286Kw/mi, now around 300Kw/mi.)

Find the threads discussing Vredestein vs. Michelin.

Tha_Ape: Of COURSE you can...through the guard rail, down the slope, dashing all the way!!!!!

There are several threads ongoing about A/S tires for the MY. I'm too lazy to search for you.

CrossClimate2: Probably a great tire snow, because it's LOUD JUST LOOKING AT IT standing still!!!! I tried, 2500miles on a 2019 Avalon Hybrid, also 500 miles on my 2021 MYLR. Swapped them for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. MUCH quieter than OEM ContiProContacts, MUCH quieter than CC2s. Decreased efficiency (first 30k miles, lifetime was 286Kw/mi, now around 300Kw/mi.)

Find the threads discussing Vredestein vs. Michelin.
Michelin CC2 are overrated in my opinion. The lack the traction in higher speeds. Look at the ratings B for traction. Please do more research before putting these aggressive look tires on your Tesla. My Prius & Camry have these tires on them less that 2 years and the ride is smooth, but dry payment, you will have traction issues at 30 mph off ramp traction. Just be aware

Search for General Altimax RT43 here. I and few others posted about them here. I did a tested some low speed swervy driving on six inches of snow in a dead end road last winter and could not break traction. Quiet and comfortable highway driving. Average efficiency close to stock.

Anyone noticed that the Michelin CC2 SUV only has a speed rating H (210kph). That's pretty low compared to other tyres. I never drive that fast, but from what I've found on the internet the max speed is not the only thing that is important. Like also described in this topic, the sidewalls are different on tyres with higher speedindex. What do you fancy? Can these tyres be used on a Tesla MY long range as a all season tyre safely (without hassle of insurance or anything)?

Anyone noticed that the Michelin CC2 SUV only has a speed rating H (210kph). That's pretty low compared to other tyres. I never drive that fast, but from what I've found on the internet the max speed is not the only thing that is important. Like also described in this topic, the sidewalls are different on tyres with higher speedindex. What do you fancy? Can these tyres be used on a Tesla MY long range as a all season tyre safely (without hassle of insurance or anything)?
The closest model Michelin tire sold in the US, the CC2 size 255/45-19, has a V speed rating. What about the Vredestein Quatrac Pro (255/45-19); it has a Y rating?

Has anyone looked into Toyo Celsius tires for A/W that also have winter weather rating and also reported to be better than CC2s? I saw them mentioned in the thread below (admittedly for an MX) and was thinking of trying to find them when it's time to get a new set.

I have 23,000 miles on Bridgestone Turanza Quiet tracks. These tires are quiet and the efficiency is comparable to continentals that came with the car. I have a 3/2021 build seven seater MYLR. I switched the half worn continentals at 17,000 miles due to excess road noise and reduced traction on snow covered surfaces.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I have posted on other similar threads, so my apologies for redundancy. Have a few thousand miles on Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s. So far, slightly better efficiency and similar to OEM in terms of sound and comfort. Possibly marginally better in the latter two categories as well. So far no snow here in NE, but am hopeful they will help with some of the rear sliding found in the Conti’s.

I have posted on other similar threads, so my apologies for redundancy. Have a few thousand miles on Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s. So far, slightly better efficiency and similar to OEM in terms of sound and comfort. Possibly marginally better in the latter two categories as well. So far no snow here in NE, but am hopeful they will help with some of the rear sliding found in the Conti’s.
Sorry, I'm going to be "that guy" and gently challenge this assertion. How are you tracking efficiency? How are you certain that the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's have better efficiency than the OEM LRR ContiContactPro? It really defies the laws of physics, since the Vredestein has better traction (resistance) in every area compared to the Conti.

If what you're saying is true, Vredestein is losing out by NOT advertising that their tire beats the LRR Conti in efficiency. This would be a HUGE marketing advantage for them.

Sorry, I'm going to be "that guy" and gently challenge this assertion. How are you tracking efficiency? How are you certain that the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's have better efficiency than the OEM LRR ContiContactPro? It really defies the laws of physics, since the Vredestein has better traction (resistance) in every area compared to the Conti.

If what you're saying is true, Vredestein is losing out by NOT advertising that their tire beats the LRR Conti in efficiency. This would be a HUGE marketing advantage for them.
No need to be sorry. With about 3000 miles using Vredestein tires I have an average efficiency of 258. My driving has been similar and though I have not had the range of environmental factors the Conti’s contended with, this is still less than my 267 lifetime. On the flip side, the Vredestein‘s are not as broken in and “hopefully” have better winter traction. There are several independent variables here, I agree. And no, I cannot account for each one independently. So my initial assessment is mostly anecdotal, with some data to support it. The validity is low to non-existent. Take it for what it is. By the way, I also cannot support my sound and ride quality assessment either. Just a hunch.

Reactions: WyoDude and Jeff N
No need to be sorry. With about 3000 miles using Vredestein tires I have an average efficiency of 258. My driving has been similar and though I have not had the range of environmental factors the Conti’s contended with, this is still less than my 267 lifetime. On the flip side, the Vredestein‘s are not as broken in and “hopefully” have better winter traction. There are several independent variables here, I agree. And no, I cannot account for each one independently. So my initial assessment is mostly anecdotal, with some data to support it. The validity is low to non-existent. Take it for what it is. By the way, I also cannot support my sound and ride quality assessment either. Just a hunch.
Excellent description.
Your efficiency will decrease with colder temps/HVAC heater use.
I'm on the flip side of that. My Conti lifetime (30k miles, 1/2021-7/2022) was 289Wh/mi, my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, after about 4 k miles, is HIGH, 315Wh/mi. It is improving with cooler TX temps (low to no HVAC) and I expect will continue to improve, through the mild DFW winter temps.

I have 23,000 miles on Bridgestone Turanza Quiet tracks. These tires are quiet and the efficiency is comparable to continentals that came with the car. I have a 3/2021 build seven seater MYLR. I switched the half worn continentals at 17,000 miles due to excess road noise and reduced traction on snow covered surfaces.
thank you. very helpful to have many miles of experience behind your feedback.