Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is your US made SR+ LFP charging to 253 or 262?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery on the 18th of September, and I have my window sticker, and it says 262. I wish I did screenshot the website; when I purchased it in early September from the inventory (when they threw a mass amount on there), it read 253. I remember it because I thought it was weird as custom-made SR+ was showing 263, but this inventory showed 253. I still punched for it as I was waiting on my Model Y (keeps getting pushed from oct-dec and needed a car), and everyone told me that it meant it would be an LFP pack, and I was okay with that. I fully charge to 253 (sometimes 254-255) but still running older software. Either way, I enjoy the car; whenever that update happens, I will be excited to see what it reads and want Disney+.

I fully charge to 253 (sometimes 254-255)
That is interesting. Do you have a screen capture of 255 (not the extrapolation from the app)? I’m surprised, given the energy screen and SMT data posted earlier, that that would be possible in this case. It just seemed that range display was capped at 253.

In any case, as you can tell from above, your car has 262 miles range and is just waiting for a software update to display it (but it is just bookkeeping and does not impact your range).

That is interesting. Do you have a screen capture of 255 (not the extrapolation from the app)? I’m surprised, given the energy screen and SMT data posted earlier, that that would be possible in this case. It just seemed that range display was capped at 253.

In any case, as you can tell from above, your car has 262 miles range and is just waiting for a software update to display it (but it is just bookkeeping and does not impact your range).
No because I didn’t think anything of it when I saw it. I just figured I got a little extra juice in it. Next time I fully charge again I’ll pay attention and capture it. I remember for sure it was in the app though because I was messing with the slider and when I went to 100% it was giving me that extra range and when it completed it also said it on the app that it stopped at the higher miles. I’ll check the car next time for confirmation.

Also, good to know it has the extra range. Heck I was happy with 253 but if it has more, I’m not complaining lol.

it. Next time I fully charge again I’ll pay attention and capture it. I remember for sure it was in the app though because I was messing with the slider and when I went to 100% it was giving me that extra range and when it completed it also said it on the app that it stopped at the higher miles.
Yeah, wouldn’t be surprised if the app showed higher since it just does extrapolation when using the slider…though if the app actually showed that range at the top it would be interesting. Car confirmation would be the gold standard in any case.

It is of course possible to get the battery charged just a little higher - but Tesla has a display cap on each vehicle. And it looked like from the earlier data in this thread that that was 253 miles (SMT showed much more energy than the energy screen, yet the mileage was still at 253, specifically).

Reactions: Samier_RN
Yeah, wouldn’t be surprised if the app showed higher since it just does extrapolation when using the slider…though if the app actually showed that range at the top it would be interesting. Car confirmation would be the gold standard in any case.

It is of course possible to get the battery charged just a little higher - but Tesla has a display cap on each vehicle. And it looked like from the earlier data in this thread that that was 253 miles (SMT showed much more energy than the energy screen, yet the mileage was still at 253, specifically).
This morning my app showed 254 miles at 100%. But the car itself showed 253.

Attachments

• D67311DD-33EF-4121-B652-13CE07B3DE7A.jpeg
    D67311DD-33EF-4121-B652-13CE07B3DE7A.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Same here. 254 but forgot to take a pic.
Thanks for all the feedback from multiple people!

Ok. I guess in the end this doesn't matter. It just means that the sample above showing 253 at 100% with a capacity exceeding the degradation threshold, simply wasn't quite at 100% (or 101%) for THAT vehicle. Because as discussed the energy content of each rated mile is increased in proportion to NFP exceeding the degradation threshold.

Going 1 mile over the stated limit is not too unusual. There are many screen captures from SMT showing 101% (I think usually when Nominal Full exceeds NFP). It's possible in those cases you see 254 rated miles. I'd be a little surprised by 255 rated miles on the screen in the car.

Anyway, it doesn't really change anything. Perhaps the constant is slightly lower than stated above, but even that is not clear if 254 miles represents a vehicle at "over 100%" capacity (obviously this is not possible but I mean from a bookkeeping perspective).

254 both app and car. Sorry took so long. Last photo is 4 days of not using the car and was fully charged to 253. Just wanted to show how much was lost during that time and I keep this car outside in the sun daily. I was driving when I remembered to take the photo. It was the same miles when I left the house to when the photo was taken.
58755E6C-203E-4CF1-90CE-1B5832006EDD.jpeg
412E74D4-033A-49F8-85AE-95C42AEA181E.jpeg
FA414019-0D26-4DB3-9C2A-AECF6D003CA1.jpeg

When I plugged in a little while ago, my app showed 263 miles as the range at 100%. This is a first, as it has to date shown 254 or 253. I did NOT have a software update. I’ll post again when it is done (probably tomorrow as it will not be done for nearly 7 hours), and include the charge screen as well.

Attachments

• 57C16653-F3C1-44BE-85CD-CCBF1C9F0EE2.jpeg
    57C16653-F3C1-44BE-85CD-CCBF1C9F0EE2.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 119
When I plugged in a little while ago, my app showed 263 miles as the range at 100%. This is a first, as it has to date shown 254 or 253. I did NOT have a software update. I’ll post again when it is done (probably tomorrow as it will not be done for nearly 7 hours), and include the charge screen as well.
We'll see if that ends up being extrapolation error (I guess I think more likely - at 16% SoC the projection could have a variability of something like 16 miles I think (depends on the actual internal precision available to the API for the app)) or somehow Tesla has a way of toggling the display without a software update (certainly possible, but I would guess less likely just because we haven't seen that before - but things can change).

In any case we'll know soon enough. Definitely 263 miles is the about the maximum I'd expect to see due to extrapolation error from that 16% level. (For example, 40.5 (41) rated miles with 16% (15.5%) SoC extrapolates to 264.5 rated miles.)

Last edited:
We'll see if that ends up being extrapolation error (I guess I think more likely - at 16% SoC the projection could have a variability of something like 16 miles I think (depends on the actual internal precision available to the API for the app)) or somehow Tesla has a way of toggling the display without a software update (certainly possible, but I would guess less likely just because we haven't seen that before - but things can change).

In any case we'll know soon enough. Definitely 263 miles is the about the maximum I'd expect to see due to extrapolation error from that 16% level. (For example, 40.5 (41) rated miles with 16% (15.5%) SoC extrapolates to 264.5 rated miles.)
Looks like a false alarm.

Attachments

• D9A2B7A0-CF0C-483C-A8CA-0356964FAFB0.jpeg
    D9A2B7A0-CF0C-483C-A8CA-0356964FAFB0.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 119
Mine charged to 253 miles. Finally have Disney+ and new games plus other improvements such as scheduling charge time and rate from mobile app.
Since multiple people are reporting the same capped limit (except perhaps the unfortunate 250-mile person depending on how much of an extrapolation that is), you guys are all good.

253 is probably the same as 262. Of course by the time the actual range rescaling update comes along, you might not see 262, but you’ll know that before you do the update, by seeing whether you see 253 (no extrapolation) before the update.

Since multiple people are reporting the same capped limit (except perhaps the unfortunate 250-mile person depending on how much of an extrapolation that is), you guys are all good.

253 is probably the same as 262. Of course by the time the actual range rescaling update comes along, you might not see 262, but you’ll know that before you do the update, by seeing whether you see 253 (no extrapolation) before the update.
It might be all good but legally, can Tesla sell a car that claims 262 on the sticker but clearly it shows 253? I am wondering because there was a huge topic about this a month ago in another forum.

Ps update as well and still shows 253 but happy I got the other features.

It might be all good but legally, can Tesla sell a car that claims 262 on the sticker but clearly it shows 253? I am wondering because there was a huge topic about this a month ago in another forum.
Yes, it is just a number. As long as the vehicle performs according to the EPA test result and gets about 262 miles on the exactly EPA test cycle when new, it’s allowed.

The range in the car could say 100 miles and could still easily make 262 miles (they would just have to increase the energy content of each mile by 2.5-2.6x or so).

So it’s just a number that represents how much energy you have but you have to know the units (Wh/rmi) to know what energy you have.

In the EPA test, they measure exactly how much energy is used. That is what has to match, approximately.