Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's going to take the village to save our future;

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reducing energy waste is the most environmentally sound approach, so that heat pump looks like a good buy. I'd be wary about solar shingles; some of the pros here on TMC have said they're not a great option (particularly if something goes wrong).

So I took the plunge and signed a contract for a 5 well ground source loop and the 3 ton and 2 ton heat zone pumps to work with it. The incentives amount to about 50% of what it will cost, which is pretty nice and we are estimating $1800/yr savings plus $300/yr in RECs. I'm struggling a bit with an option to do water heating with it as well. Adding a second water tank is necessary but takes up space, and benefit only accrues when the house is calling for heat or cooling; the water cannot apparently be warmed independently of that. Any insights you may have here would be much appreciated.

So I took the plunge and signed a contract for a 5 well ground source loop and the 3 ton and 2 ton heat zone pumps to work with it. The incentives amount to about 50% of what it will cost, which is pretty nice and we are estimating $1800/yr savings plus $300/yr in RECs. I'm struggling a bit with an option to do water heating with it as well. Adding a second water tank is necessary but takes up space, and benefit only accrues when the house is calling for heat or cooling; the water cannot apparently be warmed independently of that. Any insights you may have here would be much appreciated.
Excellent! My Waterfurnace closed loop well system is now about 14 years old. I think it's a fantastic unit, even with the early technology of 14 years ago. My preference in any heating system is 'forced air', to keep things moving, rather than radiant systems. I leave the fan on low 24/7 to keep the air fresh and maintain temperature uniformity throughout the house. No doubt this costs some electricity, but I do it anyway.

If you have several floors in the house (I have three, with the furnace at the bottom), make sure you have enough CFM ability in the blower to push the heavy cold air to the top floor. That has been my only nit to pick - the upstairs gets hot in the summer because I just can't push enough air up there.

I have the hot water pre-heat on my system, but with only the single electric water tank. Not enough space for the better configuration of a pre-heat tank, however, even a small one would probably provide more benefit than what I see. My understanding is that the water only gets whatever heat might be left over from the refrigeration cycle - my system at least.

If I was building it from scratch, I'd probably go with a small pre-heat tank if I had space. Otherwise... well... I'm not sure how much benefit you really get. If the plumbing isn't overly costly and the unit supports it anyway, I'd put it in.

I'd also consider a Heat Recovery Ventilator if I was able to fit it in. However, if you're retrofitting this might not be as practical.

FWIW, my average daily power consumption over a typical year is about 50 kWh per day. Seems like a lot, but the only natural gas used is for the stove and BBQ. Family of 5, 3300 sq. ft. of house in a climate that's cold in the winter and hot in the summer. And believe me, plenty of hot water goes down the drain... :rolleyes:

Finally... some progress...

IMG_0754.jpg

After a bit of procrastination on the part of the home owner... got the posts ready; I hate ground mounts. This is an incredibly sturdy kit by Schletter... but it's designed to be pile driven... lacking a pile driver the residential kit directs you do bore holes 7' deep by 24" wide. Maneuvering a 400lb galvanized steel post in 100F weather is not fun.

This will be a 14kW array... with any luck the pour will go well tomorrow and I can get some panels racked...

correction... this is a 15.6kW array...

Last edited:
IMG_0755.jpg

Almost got panels racked... the home owner I was assisting had to take his wife to get a tattoo... so we cut out around noon... eh; we've already lost ~5MWh in production... whats another ~500kWh...

Starting to see the problem with helping people install solar....

While helping people can be challenging I continue to believe it is the right thing to do. So I am so glad to hear you are lending a hand.

Personally I am about to add another 5 panels to cover most of the usage of the wife's Volt.

Yeah... but there's a difference between helping and being a chump; I don't mind helping but if the person asking for help leaves halfway through the day... I gots to get paid.

The last project went MUCH more smoothly so I guess I really just need to find a way not to let the bad apples spoil the bushel...

German wholesale prices continue to plummet due to wind/solar.

Why do Germany’s Electricity Prices Keep Falling?

Chancellor Angela Merkel cemented Germany’s shift toward an economy powered by renewable energy in 2010 with her “Energiewende” plan. One result has been a seemingly unstoppable decline in wholesale electricity prices, which tumbled to a 12-year low on Monday.

-1x-1.png

-1x-1.png

The Solar Singularity is Nigh!!

The 15kW system finally went on-line yesterday... ~3 months late... today will be its first full day of production; Expecting ~90kWh... homeowners gonna txt me a photo of the production screen when he gets home from work.

Combined output from the systems I've helped install now stands at ~180MWh.

Clouds got in the way of production... and the photo I got isn't worth posting... 1st day produced ~78kWh. Still... thanks to it's Western orientation the array was still producing ~8kW at 7pm. Less energy overall but far more self-consumption; West is the new South :cool:

Last edited:
India projects to have anywhere from 25-100GW installed by 2022....depending on who you ask.

Solar Forecast For India Raised Again – Can Reach 75 GW By 2022

I have to think India is the perfect place for solar to take off if they do it right. Put something solid in place to generate demand like Germany did and they'll get to 100GW before you know it. Some industrious folks in India.

The Solar Singularity is Nigh!!

The 15kW system finally went on-line yesterday... ~3 months late... today will be its first full day of production; Expecting ~90kWh... homeowners gonna txt me a photo of the production screen when he gets home from work.

Combined output from the systems I've helped install now stands at ~180MWh.

Congrats on the system and the cumulative output!

The wholesale price, yes. But that's because it's being heavily subsided, and that is added right on top of the consumer price. And that development looks a little less rosy:

Grafik_Entwicklung-der-Strompreise-pro-Kilowattstunde-f%C3%BCr-Privathaushalte.jpg

(Caption reads: "Development of electricity prices for private households.")

strompreis.png

("Rise of Electricity price in Ct/Kwh")

Renewables might be cheaper as installed capacity than some fossils, but they're not cheaper per kwh generated than all of the existing plants yet.

Renewables might be cheaper as installed capacity than some fossils, but they're not cheaper per kwh generated than all of the existing plants yet.
Rooftop solar installs in Germany are <$2/W and grid juice is and has always been wildly expensive. Half these legacy plants are running at a loss not true cost, that's why they're trying to divest from production.

Yes, there are some added pennies per kwh on the residential side, but that's more of a subsidy to industry and employment than an added cost. It's a net positive to the average German. Manufacturers are exempt from any renewables cost and getting cheap juice to keep Germans employed by not moving operations to some Eastern European coal country.

But those subsidies you mention show up in the wholesale price. By making production cheaper than it actually is, a too high demand makes the prices plummet. It's not by virtue of renewables making cheaper electricity than other sources... yet. But it's getting rather close. Fraunhofer did a study in 2013 showing that PV is about even to hard coal and only slightly more expensive than brown coal. They didn't include nuclear, presumeably because Germany comitted to exiting the nuclear field.

https://www.ise.fraunhofer.de/en/publications/veroeffentlichungen-pdf-dateien-en/studien-und-konzeptpapiere/study-levelized-cost-of-electricity-renewable-energies.pdf

There's a lot to be said about who should or shouldn't be exempt from paying higher rates for electricity, but that's maybe not for this thread.

There's a lot to be said about who should or shouldn't be exempt from paying higher rates for electricity, but that's maybe not for this thread.
This makes me ponder a more general pricing issue, that seems to rear its head in many threads in the Energy, Environment and Policy section. That is, the notion that future energy costs must somehow be the same or cheaper than they are today. If changes to our energy infrastructure were simply caused by the evolution of technology, sure, market prices would be the driving force in determining what does or does not make sense to build.

However...

We don't really have that luxury, because there are other - much bigger - factors in play. Specifically, the costs of climate change AND even the 'trivial matter' of continuing life on this planet. The Reality-reality that will ultimately trump Economic-reality whether we like it or not.

The changes need to be made whether they're more expensive (in the dollar sense) or not. Because the alternative is completely unaffordable (not in the dollar sense!).

If a hurricane is threatening to make landfall tonight, it wouldn't make sense to walk away from the lumber store because the plywood is deemed 'too pricey'. If you want to save your windows and your house, you'll pay the price. Not doing so would be entirely foolish! Similarly, assuming we can somehow save ourselves without incurring any additional cost is completely insane...