Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Model S Weekend at Tesla Santana Row 3/17 & 18 and new Model S Design Studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know, to which extend the VINs 43&44 where built on the production line in an automated fashion?

At the TM forums, someone suggested, that these cars where just some hand built betas.

I think it would be very interesting to know, how far we are away from mass production and which parts of the manufacturing line where used to build these cars.

Does anybody know, to which extend the VINs 43&44 where built on the production line in an automated fashion?

At the TM forums, someone suggested, that these cars where just some hand built betas.

I think it would be very interesting to know, how far we are away from mass production and which parts of the manufacturing line where used to build these cars.

It's possible they were hand built, but I'm the video that Russ engle posted, GeorgeB said he got an email that they had rolled off the line about 7pm on Friday night.

He could have meant it figuratively of course, so take it for what it's worth.

It's possible they were hand built, but I'm the video that Russ engle posted, GeorgeB said he got an email that they had rolled off the line about 7pm on Friday night.

He could have meant it figuratively of course, so take it for what it's worth.

More reps confirmed yesterday; these cars - the Red, the White - were definitely made on the production line and painted by the robots in the paint shop there - but, as GeorgeB alluded to, something was done with them as recently as Thursday, March 15th.

They must have been 'handfinished' in some form to prep them for the event as several more betas have apparently been produced on the prod line recently - we saw a Tesla employee drive up VIN 59 in Silver (with some unfinished stuff such as chrome trim on the exterior - I didn't get to see the interior) and park it briefly across from the garage near the 4 betas on display! Wish I got some pics but, the number 59 was on a sticker on the driver's side rear window; a rep near the White beta confirmed that it was indeed one of the many betas produced recently and being used heavily for engineering and reliability testing.

we saw a Tesla employee drive up VIN 59 in Silver (with some unfinished stuff such as chrome trim on the exterior - I didn't get to see the interior) and park it briefly across from the garage near the 4 betas on display! Wish I got some pics but, the number 59 was on a sticker on the driver's side rear window; a rep near the White beta confirmed that it was indeed one of the many betas produced recently and being used heavily for engineering and reliability testing.
Unless they're skipping numbers or some of the high 40s or low 50s were QC catastrophes, that's 15 more cars of experience on the production line. Excellent news.

Unless they're skipping numbers or some of the high 40s or low 50s were QC catastrophes, that's 15 more cars of experience on the production line. Excellent news.

Must of gone non-sequential - I can't see them cranking out 15 fully-built (drivable anyway) units from Thursday ( per George B, when 43 and 44 rolled off) to Saturday. They could have just held 43 and 44 back b/c they knew the final purpose (display at SR). Which means 43 and 44 were built after the extra 15 cars of experience, for whatever that's worth. I have no idea what that means one way or the other, just thinking aloud and typing apparently :)

Must of gone non-sequential - I can't see them cranking out 15 fully-built (drivable anyway) units from Thursday ( per George B, when 43 and 44 rolled off) to Saturday. They could have just held 43 and 44 back b/c they knew the final purpose (display at SR). Which means 43 and 44 were built after the extra 15 cars of experience, for whatever that's worth. I have no idea what that means one way or the other, just thinking aloud and typing apparently :)

No, Dave, I think the theory is that they did produce 43 and 44 sometime ago but, they went through some final work (by hand) on Thursday to prep them for the event.

Got back from Santana Row today and boy, have I forgotten how much more gorgeous the Model S is in person since I last saw it six months ago at the Factory Tour. Of course, back then we didn't really get to stop and look at them; we were too busy being flung around the test track for 60 seconds and then kicked out of the car.

I didn't realize that the door handles don't just extend out from the car, but they actually pop the door out automatically when you slide your hand in -- you don't even pull anything (well, until after the door has popped open). Very, VERY cool, IMO.

Also, I thought the 19-inch wheels were MUCH nicer in person and on the car than on the Design Studio. I still want the 21s, though. And for no reason other than vanity. Heck, the 21-inch tires will cost way more than the 19s to replace.

LOVE the touchscreen, and I also thought the driver's seat was extremely comfortable. Like, noticeably awesome, IMO.

Finally, to chime in on the discussion from earlier in the thread about headroom: yeah, there's not a lot back there. Certainly less than other sedans. I'm 5'9" and I had BARELY any clearance to the headliner. Still, I won't be back there much. :) For 6-foot passengers, though, it could be an issue.

Oh, and one more thing: in person, I was astounded at just how much SPACE this car has. Again, pics don't do it justice. The rear trunk area -- even with the seats up -- is cavernous, and that's not even including the extra trench that's big enough to hold a couple grocery bags. I'm pretty sure there's more cargo space back there than in my Infiniti G35 coupe and my wife's Mini COMBINED. Also, the frunk is big too -- the rear section of it seems to extend all the way to the passenger compartment.

Love love love this car. If only I could come up with enough money to buy it...

Yes me too. I'm not getting my hopes up though. The football has been pulled away too many times.

I agree. Which is why I didn't start a new thread 'OMG site is down!!!!!' Maybe it's just something minor but timing is right. Let's hope they're launching the design studio with the totally redone center console of course:smile:.

I agree. Which is why I didn't start a new thread 'OMG site is down!!!!!' Maybe it's just something minor but timing is right. Let's hope they're launching the design studio with the totally redone center console of course:smile:.

This almost feels like when apple.com goes down, people refresh wildly and the blogs go wild... On a much smaller scale of course :)