Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official!!! Tesla is about innovation, NOT luxury! :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is about Autopilot... hopefully it will be more about luxury with the refresh.

As far as innovation, the Model S lacks basic safety features like rear cross-traffic detection. As far as luxury, it's pretty loud inside for a luxury car. I'd say it's more of a "premium" car.

Look at it this way - if the Model S had an ICE engine, it would be not impressive at all.

When i look at any of the 3 of the 4 rings audi represents i don't see luxury in any of them. BMW are just ugly AF inside and out, i see one and I'm like ewwww. audi tries to be fancy but just makes the interior look like a damn airplane with all the buttons and knobs it has, then Mercedes well if you didn't know what the logo means the bottom 2 points on it are pointing to the tow points and if those don't help the top one points up saying maybe he'll help because you're screwed.

I've never considered my tesla a luxury car, I don't GAF about luxury or the environment. I bought my car because i like going fast, my old car i modded the crap out of and it had 460hp at the wheel, my P85D makes that thing feel like a geo metro.

I personally feel the level of "luxury" on a Model S is "enough" as far I'm concerned. I attach more importance to the EV aspects of the car compared to the "traditional" definition of luxury - elaborate dash, leather etc. That's just me.

Lucid Postpones Production, But Pokes Fun At Tesla About Luxury

Totally agree. The standard definition of luxury ignores understatement and technology. Tesla interiors are very understated, which suits my taste.

I have to say that the “post luxury” phrase in that post must have been created by a deconstructionist academic. It’s total BS.

I came from a flagship luxury car and don’t miss a lot of the “luxury amenities”, such as massaging seats, micro fridge, 4-zone climate control, soft close doors, etc. There are different definitions of luxury and it’s not as if the Model S is uncomfortable. The S is not the quietest car and it’s not the smoothest riding, but the Raven models ride 85-90% as well as a Lexus or MB.

Performance and ability for the car to come to you, some would say, is also a luxury. Tesla has redefined what luxury can mean. I think Tesla does a great job of balancing style, performance, and “luxury” at each price point, and does it so well that I wouldn’t consider any other traditional luxury car in each comparable price segment. The only truly “luxury” item I miss is a quality reference surround sound system. The Tesla UHFS is nothing special.

I personally feel the level of "luxury" on a Model S is "enough" as far I'm concerned. I attach more importance to the EV aspects of the car compared to the "traditional" definition of luxury - elaborate dash, leather etc. That's just me.

To me luxury is more about comfort and aesthetics than ostentation. The steering wheel should feel good to hold, I dont care if it looks expensive or not (though it should not look or feel badly made). Seats should be comfy, I dont need them to be made of rare materials hand-sown by little old ladies surrounded by white cats. :)

When I go out to eat, I'm focused on the food, not the tablecloth and chairs.

Tesla is about Autopilot... hopefully it will be more about luxury with the refresh.

As far as innovation, the Model S lacks basic safety features like rear cross-traffic detection. As far as luxury, it's pretty loud inside for a luxury car. I'd say it's more of a "premium" car.

Look at it this way - if the Model S had an ICE engine, it would be not impressive at all.

If it had an ICE engine then it would be considerably less expensive, have less storage, and be a different argument altogether. The Model S (or any Tesla model) still serves as the benchmark in EV design that everyone else is trying to catch up to (and possibly surpass). Who has actually brought out a truly compelling competitor to the Tesla lineup, and that outsells Tesla? Still hasn’t happened yet. I am all for competition and competitors are still experimenting with the right mix of range, performance, “luxury”, and PRICE. Lucid can deliver a more luxurious Model S but it’s far pricier.

Totally agree. The standard definition of luxury ignores understatement and technology. Tesla interiors are very understated, which suits my taste.

I have to say that the “post luxury” phrase in that post must have been created by a deconstructionist academic. It’s total BS.

I think post-luxury means "ugly exterior styling" ... I just cannot fathom how the Lucid people think that car looks good.

Lucid Postpones Production, But Pokes Fun At Tesla About Luxury

I think the reason for the claim is so that when the Model S scores a lower cod number, Lucid can still claim this marketing strategy they are using below, if they argue Tesla is not “luxury”

It achieves this with Lucid's advanced electric vehicle technology, a fastidious focus on whole vehicle efficiency, race-proven battery pack, and the world’s most aerodynamic luxury car with a 0.21 coefficient of drag.

Lucid seems quite proud of this: They state it more than once on their website:

Like a jet, Lucid Air slips effortlessly through space with a fluid form uninterrupted by any detail that isn’t strictly necessary. Its tapered shape — developed by close collaboration of design and aerodynamics teams — makes it the world’s most aero-efficient luxury car with a verified 0.21 coefficient of drag.

Last edited:
When i look at any of the 3 of the 4 rings audi represents i don't see luxury in any of them. BMW are just ugly AF inside and out, i see one and I'm like ewwww. audi tries to be fancy but just makes the interior look like a damn airplane with all the buttons and knobs it has, then Mercedes well if you didn't know what the logo means the bottom 2 points on it are pointing to the tow points and if those don't help the top one points up saying maybe he'll help because you're screwed.

I've never considered my tesla a luxury car, I don't GAF about luxury or the environment. I bought my car because i like going fast, my old car i modded the crap out of and it had 460hp at the wheel, my P85D makes that thing feel like a geo metro.
Out of all the things the model s has going for it, reliability ain’t one of them.

I’ll take innovation over luxury any day! If I want luxury I can buy a used Mercedes S class any day for so cheap as they loose value and keep it as my side car but I care less. I rather have the technology!

Agreed, but Tesla needs to at least try and keep up with “day to day” innovations. Shunning advancements because you did not come up with them is odd for a tech based company. We may have have the best drivetrain, but still no surround view camera, no Car-play equivalent, no-cross traffic alerts, no FSD, average headlights, no HUD. I always wonder how many design hours went into boom box and fart app??:p

Agreed, but Tesla needs to at least try and keep up with “day to day” innovations. Shunning advancements because you did not come up with them is odd for a tech based company. We may have have the best drivetrain, but still no surround view camera, no Car-play equivalent, no-cross traffic alerts, no FSD, average headlights, no HUD. I always wonder how many design hours went into boom box and fart app??:p
Too many hours into fart and games. I own Teslas and Porsches. (2017 & 2021 P-cars) I love both cars for different reasons. Tesla needs to focus on interior appointments especially when they're commanding 139K+ for a plaid Model S. Porsche interiors are PHENOMENAL.