Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I had the acoustic blanket\ bracket work done I need to lower the temperature by 3-4 degrees to achieve the same comfort, my wife & I both agree its not blowing as cold as before, I used to leave it on 68 & now I have to lower it down to low resulting in more energy usage & increase in cabin noise, anyone else experience this? Temperatures have been the same since the work was performed & leaving in the morning having parked in the garage I now have to lower to 65...kind of regretting it so far.

Firmware 5.12 might be to blame, its still causing all kinds of problems for me.

I haven't noticed this issue and have had the work done and have 5.12 installed. I tend to keep the temp at 73 and only lower it when I am sitting in the car and the angle of the sun is beating down directly on me... Even then I only have ever gone down to 68. But some people like it colder than others... Needless to say I haven't changed my habits.

I had a feeling something was wrong with my car, today I had to drop it all the way down to LO for over 20 minutes before we finally cooled off with outside temp of 93, normally I just leave it set at 68 & only after long periods of sitting under the sun do I occasionally lower it to 65 for a few minutes.

Just not as cold or blowing as strong, they changed the cabin air filter at the same time, maybe thats the cause.

One step forward & two step backwards I guess.

Crystalline tint on all windows including windshield.

Can you clarify? What is this?

Newer cars have an aspirator (a little fan) to draw cabin air in over the internal temperature sensor. It looks like a quarter-sized arrangement of small holes on the forward face of the center armrest above the USB ports. Earlier cars have an internal sensor without the aspirator and it is subject to influence by heat or cold soaked materials around it. For likely this reason, my car's ability to measure its internal temperature is not so good, and I find I have to keep the temperature setting at around 66 or 67 to maintain an "actual" cabin temperature of around 72 to 74 F.

Newer cars have an aspirator (a little fan) to draw cabin air in over the internal temperature sensor. It looks like a quarter-sized arrangement of small holes on the forward face of the center armrest above the USB ports. Earlier cars have an internal sensor without the aspirator and it is subject to influence by heat or cold soaked materials around it. For likely this reason, my car's ability to measure its internal temperature is not so good, and I find I have to keep the temperature setting at around 66 or 67 to maintain an "actual" cabin temperature of around 72 to 74 F.

Oh, and here I thought that was some kind of speaker or some such. Learned something new :)

SC ran a number of test trying to figure why I now have to run my AC on LO after having the blanket installed, they found nothing wrong, but when they delivered the car we ran mine with the blanket (on the right) next to the loaner without the blanket both on LO after 5 minutes & the exterior noise was about the same, the loaner did have the higher pitch but to the ear they sounded equally as loud...my car was returned to the SC :cursing:

I took a quick video with my iPhone so the quality isn't great AC noise blanket comparison - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have to say I'm a bit perplexed. I was contacted practically the day after I posted here about my car having the same noise. SC called and said they saw I had posted and asked if I wanted to have the insulation blanket installed. I was very impressed at the proactive nature of Tesla and their service centers.

Well, I booked an appointment a month in advance. They picked my car up today and dropped off a loaner. Since they had my car I asked for a couple of other things to be done. A tire rotation and the drivers seat mod. I will say that I never had a problem with the comfort of my seat, but after everyone on here rave about the improved comfort I requests that it be done. Come to find out my car already had it done, but when they put my seat back in they didn't righted something all the way and my seat is obviously loose. Not to mention that they didn't even install the a/c insulation because they said its on back order! Why would they take my car in if they didn't have the part, and why wouldn't they have the part when the appointment was set up a month ago? Ugh. Back to the service center it goes for the seat to be tightened and eventually for the a/c whenever they get the part in. Bummer.

Well I have to say I'm a bit perplexed. I was contacted practically the day after I posted here about my car having the same noise. SC called and said they saw I had posted and asked if I wanted to have the insulation blanket installed. I was very impressed at the proactive nature of Tesla and their service centers.

Well, I booked an appointment a month in advance. They picked my car up today and dropped off a loaner. Since they had my car I asked for a couple of other things to be done. A tire rotation and the drivers seat mod. I will say that I never had a problem with the comfort of my seat, but after everyone on here rave about the improved comfort I requests that it be done. Come to find out my car already had it done, but when they put my seat back in they didn't righted something all the way and my seat is obviously loose. Not to mention that they didn't even install the a/c insulation because they said its on back order! Why would they take my car in if they didn't have the part, and why wouldn't they have the part when the appointment was set up a month ago? Ugh. Back to the service center it goes for the seat to be tightened and eventually for the a/c whenever they get the part in. Bummer.

I am not surprised, I can't tell you how frustrated I am.

Last edited:
^ sounds a bit like my experience in this context a few weeks ago:

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor - Page 16

Thanks for the warning about the seat mod; I'll not try to "get it fixed when it's not broken".

Your car is old enough that unless you had it done, you probably don't have it. I would say somewhere around 30k VINs and beyond, maybe a bit earlier than that because it came out early in the year (2014).

- - - Updated - - -

I will also say about the seat mod, what threw me, new cars now ~36k VINs actually have a newer better seat in them, and the comfort difference between a seat that has been "fixed" and the new seat is pretty noticeable. I only knew about that because of a recent service visit for myself, having gone straight from my car to a loaner not expecting anything at all, sat down and instantly was like "oh wow, that's comfy" and immediately called them to have them upgrade my seat...

Turns out I already had the seat mod and there was nothing more they could do at the time.

But the newer cars... it isn't just the drivers seat, it is all of them, including the back, because I had my daily commuters in my carpool comment on it in the loaner car I had as well.

Since having my a/c mod done, I'm now more inclined to not bother with the Eco mode, which I used to use primarily to keep the noise down. What I've noticed is that the two front active louvers are almost always open whenever the a/c is on, even if it's not running flat out. In Eco mode, I never saw those louvers opened.

I had the acoustic blanket & vibration bracket removed, in my situation the noise reduction was hardly noticeable compared to the loaner that didn't have the work done & for reasons unexplained I wasn't going to drive around with the AC set on LO when I was perfectly happy prior to the blanket leaving it set to 68-69, while the blanket was on they ran extensive tests & everything was working properly & even offered to replace the compressor even though they didn't think it would help, I declined the replacement because I didn't want thousands of dollars of shareholder money wiasted on a low confidence fix when they didn't see a problem with the unit.

I have driven the car for a brief period & so far back to 68-69.

Everyone here has been very pleased with the blanket so I even talked to the head technician at the SC & he recomended having it installed & said no negative side affects & it was thouroughly tested in Arizona so I thought fantastic, here is another example of my car getting better...well in this case it didn't.