Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Time to Build Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, for P reservations atleast, it appears that we may have to front another $5,000 when asked to configure and order the Model S and, if you were to backout after that, you'd stand to lose all $10,000.
Hmm, I read it to imply that we could be asked to put down an unspecified "Additional Fee". If one cancels after putting down this Additional Fee, then you get back "all reservation fees paid less a $10,000 cancellation charge". That language suggests that the Additional Fee will be no less than $5,000 and quite possibly more. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that we need to top up the reservation fee to 40% or 50% of the estimated purchase price (which would be in line with the Signature deposits).

Hmm, I read it to imply that we could be asked to put down an unspecified "Additional Fee". If one cancels after putting down this Additional Fee, then you get back "all reservation fees paid less a $10,000 cancellation charge". That language suggests that the Additional Fee will be no less than $5,000 and quite possibly more. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that we need to top up the reservation fee to 40% or 50% of the estimated purchase price (which would be in line with the Signature deposits).

Yup, it could very well be that - bring to the table an extra $35K before we build it for you within the next 3 months! I'm not sure that'll happen though as an extra $35K without financing involved is a stretch for a lot of General Production Model S buyers (including myself), I'd think.

The fact is, up until this unique case with Tesla, there'd be no reason anyone would travel and vacation in CA for the sake of picking up a car.

Actually, that's not true. in 2004, before the tax law, a number of people purchased their Prius from Diane Whitmire in CA, vacationed there, and drove back--at least one person drove back to Texas that I know about, and several from other states. One reason was the fair price, another was actual inventory, and third was to get some of the California options that weren't offered in other regions.

Actually, that's not true. in 2004, before the tax law, a number of people purchased their Prius from Diane Whitmire in CA, vacationed there, and drove back--at least one person drove back to Texas that I know about, and several from other states. One reason was the fair price, another was actual inventory, and third was to get some of the California options that weren't offered in other regions.

interesting stuff. so those people had to pay CA tax and were willing to take the hit for owning a Prius. In this case you don't have to come to CA as the only option to get a Model S.

Here's an idea for people wanting to take a CA vacation, pickup their Model S, and take a tour of the factory. Find a hotel in Reno, NV and schedule a date to have the Model S delivered to a hotel in Reno. Fly to Reno or Sacramento and stay at that Reno hotel for the day you take delivery of the Model S. Make the 4 hour drive from Reno to Fremont and get a tour of the factory. And continue to drive and stay in CA for a few more days :)

P.S. Since that Reno to Fremont drive is 236 miles, I guess you'd probably want the 300 mile model :) or make sure to find a charging station mid-distance.

Last edited:
In 2004 that law hadn't been passed yet. If you were from out of state you didn't have to pay CA tax.

So we have that damn Prius to blame for this law now! :p That actually may not be too far from the truth. In the case of a car in high-demand like the Prius was, those cars that were sold to out-of-state buyers would have been sold to in-state buyers soon enough anyways (given the demand). So the law ensures all purchasers of cars in CA are paying sales tax, regardless of where it will be registered. The law hurts the state in the case of low-demand cars since the sales to out-of-staters would be in addition to any in-state sales and would bring in some additional state revenue when these out of staters visit CA.

Last edited:
There's really nothing to "break in" with an EV. You can drive it off the factory lot and floor it as much as you want and drive as fast as you want.

Well, if you have a performance version you probably want to scrub in the tires and brake pads before you go completely berserk... that's maybe a few laps of the circuit, or 10 miles on the freeway.

Well, if you have a performance version you probably want to scrub in the tires and brake pads before you go completely berserk... that's maybe a few laps of the circuit, or 10 miles on the freeway.

And it's probably a good idea not to brake or accelerate too hard for the first 300 miles. You don't want the tires spinning on the wheels while the lubricant is still wet.

And it's probably a good idea not to brake or accelerate too hard for the first 300 miles. You don't want the tires spinning on the wheels while the lubricant is still wet.
Where have you heard this? I race motorcycles (well, I used to, now I just do track days and instruct) and I would routinely have new tires mounted hours (and zero miles) before I used them in a race. Never had a problem w/ a tire "spinning".

I do agree w/ bedding in the brakes.