Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Time to Build Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard through the Tesla grapevine that they are batching the contacts right now and the batch sizes will start ramping up quite a bit. I believe Tesla started with 40 or 50 reservation holders to get their processes down. I think they have moved that up to 100 and then once they are comfortable with the process the contact batches will probably increase to the 500 reservation holder size. So the floodgates may open here in the next month or two (Hopefully!).

Based on my Sig #267, (Not a Roadster owner or friends and family) I'm expecting to get my car in mid August (but this is still total speculation on my part, based on informal conversations I've had with Tesla). I'm keeping my fingers crossed it is sooner!

Last edited:
Awesome, Dave! What's your final config then?! Make sure you use this chance to ask T all sorts of questions regarding delivery timeline, etc.
Yeah, pretty exciting. If I hadn't had the Roadster for the last year or so, I'd really be flipping out but am still excited.

I'm getting the Signature Red Performance with black interior and CF trim. Likely the pano roof. Can't decide on the wheels (21" performance vs. 19" aero wheels). Also need to decide on deleting the rear spoiler or keeping it. I believe it's 3 months from locking in the order. They're sending the paperwork to me. Once I send it back, things will be more finalized and I'll probably get an estimated delivery date.

Very nice! I'm flipping out for sure and I've only clocked 2 years and a bit on the wait.

Please do give us a virtual look at the paperwork (with stuff redacted as appropriate, of course) if you get a chance.
2 years is almost exactly how long I held out before getting the Roadster so that about fits=) Every few months I would tell my self to stop thinking about the Model S and the Roadster but that didn't work obviously.

Will do. I'm sure it's ok but I'll ask Tesla first if I can post it but I don't see a problem with it.

I'm getting the Signature Red Performance with black interior and CF trim. Likely the pano roof. Can't decide on the wheels (21" performance vs. 19" aero wheels). Also need to decide on deleting the rear spoiler or keeping it. I believe it's 3 months from locking in the order. They're sending the paperwork to me. Once I send it back, things will be more finalized and I'll probably get an estimated delivery date.

We may end up with the same car. I'm getting:
- Performance
- Sig red
- Black interior w red trim
- Pano roof
- Carbon fiber interior
- Spoiler

I was given a general statement that the early orders (which we are still in) are expected to be delivered in late July or August. They sent a "quote" that shows the above config plus the delivery ($990) and prep ($180). I've confirmed it and so am now waiting for the purchase agreement, which is supposed to show an actual ETA date for my car.

BTW, the person I talked to was adamant that the delivery date is not tied to when I lock in the order. He said I have 30 days to lock it in without losing my position in line. Dave, did the person you spoke to say differently? I'm still going to go ahead because I've made my decisions and I'd like to know the actual ETA.

Only other info I learned was:
- Confirmed there will be a Roadster HPC > Model S adapter. But the price, design and ETA have not been locked down. I decided to go ahead and get a new Model S HPC because it looks prettier and I want to make sure it's easy to work with. (I'm worried the adapter will be clunky.) Also, the adapter will cost some unknown amount of $ anyway. I'm guessing it will be at least $600 which means I'm halfway to a new HPC anyway. By getting a new one I can always put the old HPC somewhere for Roadsters or get a new cable to it can be a J1772. I may donate it to a charity willing to host it at their site.
- He listed the locations of exterior carbon fiber:
* Optional Spoiler
* Rear diffuser (under back bumper)
* Chin strap on bumper in front
* Tesla T on mouth of hood

We may end up with the same car. I'm getting:
- Performance
- Sig red
- Black interior w red trim
- Pano roof
- Carbon fiber interior
- Spoiler

I was given a general statement that the early orders (which we are still in) are expected to be delivered in late July or August. They sent a "quote" that shows the above config plus the delivery ($990) and prep ($180). I've confirmed it and so am now waiting for the purchase agreement, which is supposed to show an actual ETA date for my car.

BTW, the person I talked to was adamant that the delivery date is not tied to when I lock in the order. He said I have 30 days to lock it in without losing my position in line. Dave, did the person you spoke to say differently? I'm still going to go ahead because I've made my decisions and I'd like to know the actual ETA.
Nice choice. It was a pretty brief phone conversion so I didn't ask about delivery date. Figured I'd ask about that after they e-mailed the paperwork. That's good to know that I have a little time to think about it and won't lose my place in line. I'll double check when I call back though. Good to know about the adapter too since I may get a HPC 2 (there's a local rebate where I can get $600 off the charger).

I was hearing there is a $1950 destination charge. So is the delivery charge another charge? Or was there no destination charge?

I was hearing there is a $1950 destination charge. So is the delivery charge another charge? Or was there no destination charge?

Here's what they gave me. Note the asterisk at the bottom. So nothing about a destination charge in addition to the delivery, at least not yet. We'll see if it appears on the purchase agreement (MVPA).

Screen Shot 2012-04-17 at 6.26.21 PM.png

Here's what they gave me. Note the asterisk at the bottom. So nothing about a destination charge in addition to the delivery, at least not yet. We'll see if it appears on the purchase agreement (MVPA).

View attachment 5553

Thanks for posting that. With taxes this is going to turn out to be about a 115k car. Even after deposit that's 75k -- that's a car or two in itself! :eek: