Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put a deposit on a Model S over a decade ago. I bought a Signature model (one of the first 1,000 MS made) and became an outspoken evangelist for the company. For the fist year, it was a whirlwind romance and I probably sold a dozen+ cars myself and Tesla treated me like a member of the family. A few years in, things started to get rocky as Tesla got more and more busy but I understood. 100,000 owners vying for its attention made for a different dynamic. But then the Model X and eventually the model 3 came into the picture and Tesla started to be more distant and more cold. At first it was just a lack of personal touch but over time, it became neglect.
Now, its an outright abusive relationship. Tesla literally doesn't pick up the phone (this is not a cute relationship analogy- they don't pick up the phone). They discontinued the "owner experience" group (they used to address owner issues) because... who cares? They cut out the loaner program. They lied constantly ("we're increasing the loaner program! We're building a new service facility just for Model 3! We're selling features we can't deliver!") . They started charging $200 "deductible" for issues that are covered by warranty (after 7 years of not doing so and never making it clear it was even a possibility). I wrote a plaintive email into the great void of "[email protected]" as a last hope that somehow Tesla cared enough to at least lie to me about all this. No response at all.
Tesla, which started out with customer service akin to Apple had slowly devolved into a company with customer service worse than Spectrum (or any other monopolistic company). I guess somewhere along the way they realized that treating customers well was not its best strategy to keep its stock price high. Any resources that had been put to serving customers was reallocated to sales. The lie they tell that they are "trying" is as insulting as a spouse telling you they're "trying" not to cheat. Trying is as simple as investing in customer service (or not divesting what was already in place).
If you've been a Tesla owner for more than 5 years, I can't imagine that you too haven't felt the same neglect and abuse.

I absolutely hate Tesla. I love the car but hate the company. And that is awful. Feels like saying I hate an ex-lover because I truly did love this company for years. I learned to love electric cars and I'm hopeful that some company that still prioritizes customers will make a great one. Otherwise, I may just be stuck with an ICE car because as much as I love electric, I refuse to be treated like crap. Tesla should be ashamed of itself for letting its customers down and for shaming its own product in the process.
That is too bad. Elon pays a lot of lip service to the original supporters, but now the company does not seem to be appreciating that their success is due to buyers like you. I bought a year ago, pre-raven, and also feel this in a much lesser way with the switch to PM front motors. If you look that is where many of the new features and benefits come from and it occurred literally right after I purchased. I am still A big fan of the cars and that requires some support of the company, which at heart is a brilliant organization with a great mission statement.

Good luck, lots of new EV's coming out and I think some competition will be good incentive for Tesla to look a little harder at losing return customers.

Really? Does BMW have a different level of service quality for the 3, vs 5, vs 7 series vehicles?

It's been several years but I distinctly remember my local Audi dealer telling me that there were no loaners when I brought in my A4 for service because they were reserved for A8 and A6 owners. The idea of differentiated service levels for higher-revenue customers is hardly unusual.

I’m sorry to hear of your issues, no excuse for that kind of service. My experience has been the exact opposite, purchased my first Model S in 2013 and my Model X in 2016, I have not had very many problems but when I do my Service Advisor gets it fixed. I mostly email him and he responds within a couple of hours, they have taken care of all my issues and I have never been lied to or put off.
My experience exactly. 3 Tesla’s, 12 ownership years.

• Love
Reactions: Futuresystem
Well, there you go. You haven't been charged for warranty fixes. I wasn't for years, and then I was. What is it, Russian Roulette? And saying the service was great other than not being able to speak to a human being is like saying the food was great other than the glass in the omelette.
RTFW. You should be happy they did not charge you a few times.

Well, here’s what’s happening. Faced by higher volumes and an aspiration for yet more, Tesla is implementing a new service model. Schedule and communicate via app. When you schedule an appointment, they start a text exchange to confirm what you want fixed. They have a centralized team that expedites they right parts to your service center or mobile engineer.

During service, they communicate via text.

this results in fewer staff at service center. Far fewer. Presumably lower parts inventories too.

baby boomers hate it. We are used to phone access, hand holding, and immediate gratification. The generations growing up with Apple, google, etc, however, are not astounded by this model.

while I don’t think Tesla has it fully ironed out, I appreciate where they are going and why.

personally, I’ve had no problems. Zero. Best service I’ve ever had from any brand. At first it was high touch. But new model good too now that I know how to use.

I'm in my 30s and believe it or not, not a commodity but rather a unique individual and yes I do love communicating by phone. Will wonders never cease. My time also has value and easily reaching someone by phone is faster and less stressful for me but Tesla only thinks about their time and money.

I'm completely flabbergasted that Tesla has trained customers to accept less for more and, one step further, use those customers to berate others who don't appreciate that or share a hive-minded approach.

It is probably the single greatest thing they've accomplished outside of the drivetrain and battery.

We love our Tesla cars but really, really dislike the company and the poor service. I believe it all boils down to not having an intermediary that profits from customer service. The missing intermediary is a dealer network. People love to hate dealers but they work for their customers and they try to make a profit. If they have poor customer service they loose customers and go out of business, it’s basic economics. Does poor service put a Tesla service center out of business? of course not. Who cares at Tesla or who would even listen? Tesla doesn’t even have a customer complaint department. There is not a series of checks and balances.

Last edited:
I have to agree with SigGuy. I had a Signature Model X. I was on the waiting list for almost 4 years and all during that time Tesla didn't communicate much (might be an understatement) but when I got the car I was thrilled with the service and attention I got. I was a wholehearted advocate of both the car and the company (some friends asked if I was on the payroll). I traded in my first X for a second one after 3 years. Not only did the quality of the car go down, but the service has steadily declined and is now much worse than any of our other cars (a Porsche, a Mini convertible, a Land Rover and a Chevy truck). I have become so frustrated by complete indifference shown by Tesla to its owners that I am ready to give up. I love electric vehicles and need an SUV so I have put a deposit on a Rivian. Already the communication has been 10 times better than Tesla and I hope they produce a decent vehicle with decent customer service.

Well, here’s what’s happening. Faced by higher volumes and an aspiration for yet more, Tesla is implementing a new service model. Schedule and communicate via app. When you schedule an appointment, they start a text exchange to confirm what you want fixed. They have a centralized team that expedites they right parts to your service center or mobile engineer.

During service, they communicate via text.

this results in fewer staff at service center. Far fewer. Presumably lower parts inventories too.

baby boomers hate it. We are used to phone access, hand holding, and immediate gratification. The generations growing up with Apple, google, etc, however, are not astounded by this model.

while I don’t think Tesla has it fully ironed out, I appreciate where they are going and why.

personally, I’ve had no problems. Zero. Best service I’ve ever had from any brand. At first it was high touch. But new model good too now that I know how to use.

I imagine most companies have this.

I could schedule appointments via dealer website for my Infiniti and the service advisor would text me updates.

It's really nothing special or unique.

The unique part is Tesla won't pick up the phone if you do call them. Not sure how that is a positive or groundbreaking.

There is a large difference between “not coddling” customers and some of the “abuse” leveled at Tesla: outright lies, deliberately stonewalling customers who have legitimate issues, post-purchase feature removal, etc.

Great products, but service can be a crapshoot these days, based on a number of factors. Some are lucky to be in a non-oversaturated location where service can go the extra mile, and others receive the bare minimum.

I still believe decent competition will force Tesla to address its shortcomings. That “e-Mustang” thing that Ford is building, though misnamed, might be a good start.

If GM were run by a competent CEO, they would already be selling a Voltsmobile J-47X or some such, rather than just having a Super Bowl teaser for its ridiculous eHummer.

GM was miles ahead of the pack with the EV1 decades ago and flushed it. When forced to reorganize back in 2009, they didn’t bother to invest in the future (turn a whole division into electric car R&D and production, hence my “Voltsmobile” example) but instead stayed in bed with Big Oil and kept cranking out ICE guzzlers.

I have to agree with SigGuy. I had a Signature Model X. I was on the waiting list for almost 4 years and all during that time Tesla didn't communicate much (might be an understatement) but when I got the car I was thrilled with the service and attention I got. I was a wholehearted advocate of both the car and the company (some friends asked if I was on the payroll). I traded in my first X for a second one after 3 years. Not only did the quality of the car go down, but the service has steadily declined and is now much worse than any of our other cars (a Porsche, a Mini convertible, a Land Rover and a Chevy truck). I have become so frustrated by complete indifference shown by Tesla to its owners that I am ready to give up. I love electric vehicles and need an SUV so I have put a deposit on a Rivian. Already the communication has been 10 times better than Tesla and I hope they produce a decent vehicle with decent customer service.

You joined this forum in 2014 and this is your first post? I would say your communication could use some improvement :D

• Disagree
Reactions: ReddykwRun
I'm completely flabbergasted that Tesla has trained customers to accept less for more and, one step further, use those customers to berate others who don't appreciate that or share a hive-minded approach.

It is probably the single greatest thing they've accomplished outside of the drivetrain and battery.
EXACTLY. Couldn’t agree more. It’s bizarre to me that people want to defend a company not providing basic customer service and launching personal attacks in some cases at the mere suggestion that anyone should be disappointed. I’m not a baby boomer, I am in California... who cares my demographic? I simply wanted a company to answer its phone, get me in for service in a reasonable time, provide a loaner after promising one, not charge me for warrantied repairs ($200 deductible), answer my emails... and for that, many (although not most) have suggested I’m unreasonable, need therapy, don’t understand business....
Bizarre. Why wouldn’t you, angry poster, expect the very basics as well? I guess cognitive dissonance doesn’t allow some owners to hear any negativity lest they feel bad about their purchase.

EXACTLY. Couldn’t agree more. It’s bizarre to me that people want to defend a company not providing basic customer service and launching personal attacks in some cases at the mere suggestion that anyone should be disappointed. I’m not a baby boomer, I am in California... who cares my demographic? I simply wanted a company to answer its phone, get me in for service in a reasonable time, provide a loaner after promising one, not charge me for warrantied repairs ($200 deductible), answer my emails... and for that, many (although not most) have suggested I’m unreasonable, need therapy, don’t understand business....
Bizarre. Why wouldn’t you, angry poster, expect the very basics as well? I guess cognitive dissonance doesn’t allow some owners to hear any negativity lest they feel bad about their purchase.

But you can't just say that because a company avoids the telephone, it has bad customer service. That is your definition of customer service, fine, but it is not mine.

The recent recall airbag replacement on my vehicle was exceptional customer service. Not one phone call was made in either direction.

I hate to say it but I believe it started with people becoming Musk’s fans, I was one of those, and then it became more or less a ‘cult’ where the leader can do no wrong. As a matter of fact, just like clockwork, they believed wholeheartedly every single word from Musk.

As far as I am concerned, no car is worth the frustration & the stress of having one.

That’s my $0.02.

The unique part is Tesla won't pick up the phone if you do call them. Not sure how that is a positive or groundbreaking.
The odd thing is that those of us on the Tesla Energy side still have this type of support. I called just yesterday with a problem. I got a knowledgeable customer support person who nicely listened to my issue, was empathetic and responded with a reasonable answer to my question. He was also very personable and really wanted me to be satisfied. Just like the old days with Tesla cars.

• Love
Reactions: ReddykwRun
I think it all depends on your service center and the relationship with the service advisor, a few years ago my 2013 Model S had a MCU failure the car was not drivable and the part was on backorder. They supplied me with a loaner and it was in the shop for 30 days, when I went to pick it up the service advisor had taken all the 21 inch rims which had curb rash and had them refurbished. He also had the car completely detailed, I was not expecting that but he apologized profusely for the delay and wanted to try to make up for that. I have always had a great relationship with him and it continues today.

SigGuy wants what he wants and thinks he is entitled to. No amount of arguing will be convincing to him and those who support his premise. C'est la vie. But for him to say 75% are in agreement with him, well that's just non-scientific.

In just two years of Model X ownership, I've for sure seen service changes. And I'm a boomer. And I don't claim things are perfect. Or luxurious. But my car has been seen without fuss. Sometimes in my garage. Sometimes in Tesla's. I love it when mobile service comes to me.

My Model X has not been as service free as my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. But all of its issues involved systems/parts/features that don't exist on the Wrangler. And the Wrangler has traveled fewer than 800 miles over the past two years. I only keep it because the door and top can come off.

Last Tesla service I had was two months ago after I'd waited some time for them to have the yellow screen border fix available. Appointment made over the phone app. Arrived and used a touchscreen to check in. Had a comfortable seat and a coffee. Five minutes later a service guy came out to talk to me. Got an immediate Uber voucher and was on my way within 15 minutes of arrival. Took my first ever Uber ride. Which turned out to be way more entertaining than driving a loaner home. It's a new world.

But you can't just say that because a company avoids the telephone, it has bad customer service. That is your definition of customer service, fine, but it is not mine.
I've offered half a dozen examples of bad service, not just avoiding telephones. And I would suggest that even if you're okay with no phones, doesn't that require texts or snaps or TicTocs.... SOME kind of communication when a drop down in the app doesn't cover it? And even communication doesn't address charging "deductibles" for warrantied work (after 7 years of not doing so), doing away with loaners (after years of offering them), insane wait times for an appointment, not delivering features they've charged for, doing away with "ownership experience" dept... I keep listing more and more issues beyond not answering phones. And I'm sorry, answering phones is mandatory. I'm not that old (51) and obviously I'm not tech-phobic, I bought an electric car years before most in this discussion (or in the world for that matter). And 25-year-olds don't often buy $100K plus cars. So I'm squarely in the Model S demo and yes, I like to be able to talk to a company via phone once in a while. And if Tesla disagrees with that, that's fine. But I, and many like me, will find companies that are willing to actually, y'know, speak with us.

I think it all depends on your service center and the relationship with the service advisor, a few years ago my 2013 Model S had a MCU failure the car was not drivable and the part was on backorder. They supplied me with a loaner and it was in the shop for 30 days, when I went to pick it up the service advisor had taken all the 21 inch rims which had curb rash and had them refurbished. He also had the car completely detailed, I was not expecting that but he apologized profusely for the delay and wanted to try to make up for that. I have always had a great relationship with him and it continues today.
This.

and it is why some of us who have had great service can’t understand the complaints, and those who have had problems cannot understand why we are satisfied.