Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've Purchased 50+ Aftermarket Performance Products - Why MPP is Best

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great feedback everyone. I appreciate the education & history. Having worked for only one company since I graduated college 27 years ago, I can relate to building & keeping solid relationships and not wanting to start from scratch with another company, even when the grass does sometimes appear to be greener on the other side... :D

I used Ohlins DFV coilovers on a daily driver for 7 years, and KW V3 and 2 way competition race units on road/track cars for 10+ years.

The Ohlins were excellent on my road car (BMW E91), and being 1 way, simple to adjust. On a more track focused car like the Evo, I always found them to be too soft for track work, it felt like the high speed damping which made them feel comfortable on the road, also compromised them on the track.

Personally, I prefer KW 2 way dampers like the V3 and MPP, because it lets me dial in the compression and rebound damping independently to enable me to adjust them exactly how I want. I can make them extremely comfortable on the road, and then obtain great response and tighten down the rebound for the much higher forces produced on track.

Another big plus with the KW is the damper bodies are INOX stainless steel, which will not corrode. The Ohlins still worked fine, but after a couple of years, looked very corroded, and ride height adjustment was impossible due to the spring collars being seized.

I had no idea what Mittelstand meant, but it sounds pretty much like KW. The chicken farm story is amazing and I love hearing it. The INOX stainless steel was a big factor in our choice of KW, not to mention countless great experiences with their products in our time spinning wrenches and racing. For people like us who live in corrosive climate, it is a huge bonus.

Reactions: ra88it and KenC
One thing that really stands out for @MountainPass product is how well they are designed for its intended purpose and audience. Driving enthusiasts. A lot of product insights are infused into each of the product they produced so far. For example the different threads on each ends of the rear camber and toe arm that allows for finer adjustments vs. having the same thread on both sides. Even the pinch bolt vs. the typical lock nut on those arm have a purpose of isolating the locking motion from the motion of adjustment. And let’s not forget about the FUCA. The shim technique is something used in motorsports to produce fast and consistent adjustment. The replication of the OEM FUCA arc so MPP FUCA would provide the same amount or greater travel as stock suspension. Attention to details in their product is a result of experiences, iterative development process and rigorous product testing.

Keep up the good work.

Quick question for MPP - are you planning a V4 version to the KWs out now? On my M2 competition, I’ve been told they are superior to the KW clubsports for the track and in comfort to the V3.

Also when considering dual purpose use there is significant difference between KW to say something offered from Tractive like on Porsche 911. Will you consider including a premium suspension like Tractive to your portfolio in the future or is that prohibitive due to your relations with KW.

Quick question for MPP - are you planning a V4 version to the KWs out now? On my M2 competition, I’ve been told they are superior to the KW clubsports for the track and in comfort to the V3.

Also when considering dual purpose use there is significant difference between KW to say something offered from Tractive like on Porsche 911. Will you consider including a premium suspension like Tractive to your portfolio in the future or is that prohibitive due to your relations with KW.
I like that MPP is focused on dual purpose cars and not diluting the brand trying to do everything. 4 way suspension makes no sense unless you car weight and downforce is radically different from stock and you have to change springs for different tracks. Are you there? If not - forget it, high speed bump and rebound already dialed in correctly and you just going to end up either with completely default settings or unbearable settings. Do you have suspension load and travel sensors to dial it? Right...

And Tractive is vanity thing. Not performance or comfort improvement.

I like that MPP is focused on dual purpose cars and not diluting the brand trying to do everything. 4 way suspension makes no sense unless you car weight and downforce is radically different from stock and you have to change springs for different tracks. Are you there? If not - forget it, high speed bump and rebound already dialed in correctly and you just going to end up either with completely default settings or unbearable settings. Do you have suspension load and travel sensors to dial it? Right...

And Tractive is vanity thing. Not performance or comfort improvement.

We have to be super careful about what we share, so I can't exactly comment on those future suspension questions! We do plan on sticking with KW though as we have spent quite a bit of time building a strong relationship with them, and most importantly, earning their respect. They sponsored our Hybrid 350Z build with 4-Way Competition Dampers so I think they like us!

Mash is right, we have a vision of what the ideal Model 3 is, a quiet comfortable road car that can become a monster on the track. I don't think we will ever be making gutted out racecars with loud and harsh suspension. I think most car guys that have been doing it for a while have gone through the cycle of modifying a stock car until it is no longer enjoyable to drive. Our vision is much more like the GT2RS. We have been planning and growing our product line at the same pace the community has been building their cars and growing into the track scene. It is too early to invest big money in crazy racing suspension, it would be more for our ego to have it on our website despite not actually selling any of them.

I really appreciate the questions and input we get from everyone though and if we get lots of inquiries about racing suspension you can be sure we will consider it!

You guys are all too kind. Thank you so much @MasterC17 for the review, and for providing data that we didn't even know was something to be measured! Now we will focus on answering your specific emails way faster ;)

@Mash , we never want to be a big company that compromises the quality of customer service or our products for money. We love what we are doing and feel it would be less enjoyable if we had to manage a huge team and deal with the problems that come with growing big. We love tuning in all regards and there is still a lot of ways we can improve internally without having to grow and lose the personal touch.

One benefit of growth is improving our shipping prices with quantity. It is a challenge to run a company in Canada that mainly caters to Americans because you guys have been blessed with free and fast shipping for even the most mundane purchases!

KW is finishing the biggest renovation in their history, so hopefully, we can actually make a stocking order rather than have to take orders and then make our customers wait. I hate doing it, but it is the only way we can get kits made right now. The current wait time for a stocking order is 1.5 years. I guess when you provide suspension for Porsche and Ford OEM programs, MPP is just a little fish in comparison!

Here is their blog post showing off the new factory At the finish line: KW automotive will soon complete the most significant construction projects in its history

We appreciate all of the support we have received over the past 2 years and we will prove you right as we move into the future.

<3 MPP Team

Actually your customer service answering my emails helped me decide quickly that for suspension I'd go with MPP. I hate it when you have a legitimate question about the product and the seller either thinks its not worth his/her time or doesn't know. Your customer service got back with me next business day (my email was after hours so i don't expect and immediate response) and gave me honest opinions (not just what is the most expensive).....I ask a lot of questions and they always answered me.

Also, answering questions on this forum makes a difference. People can see that you guys actually care about the cars, customers and product you are selling. Videos on YT make a big difference too.

No I’m not there as far as need for the V4 on the track. To be honest I don’t plan to track the Model 3.

The only reason I asked about the V4 is because apparently it’s a lot better than V3 on the street and if MPP dials it in and provides the “default” settings then it’s something to consider.

Again I state this only because the general consensus is the Ohlins/Redwood is superior to the V3 on the road as far as comfort is concerned but I am certain the V3 is the better choice on the track.

Also Tractive is not vanity. It’s the best for both worlds and combined with DSCsport, the suspension soaks up rough patches while providing grip is unbelievable. Plus the suspension quality is again a step above.

We buy these cars for the technology and a lot of us hope to have access to the best tech out there regardless of price.

No I’m not there as far as need for the V4 on the track. To be honest I don’t plan to track the Model 3.

The only reason I asked about the V4 is because apparently it’s a lot better than V3 on the street and if MPP dials it in and provides the “default” settings then it’s something to consider.

Again I state this only because the general consensus is the Ohlins/Redwood is superior to the V3 on the road as far as comfort is concerned but I am certain the V3 is the better choice on the track.

Also Tractive is not vanity. It’s the best for both worlds and combined with DSCsport, the suspension soaks up rough patches while providing grip is unbelievable. Plus the suspension quality is again a step above.

We buy these cars for the technology and a lot of us hope to have access to the best tech out there regardless of price.
I have to agree to disagree here, we have yet to see a proper blind test between the two kits. I have offered to send @buddhra a Comfort Adjustable kit since he wants to compare them back-to-back, still waiting to hear from him! I am quite confident that our kit will outperform it and have less NVH, considering this is the main complaint I have seen about that kit.

Reactions: dfwatt and bcpm3p
Actually your customer service answering my emails helped me decide quickly that for suspension I'd go with MPP. I hate it when you have a legitimate question about the product and the seller either thinks its not worth his/her time or doesn't know. Your customer service got back with me next business day (my email was after hours so i don't expect and immediate response) and gave me honest opinions (not just what is the most expensive).....I ask a lot of questions and they always answered me.

Also, answering questions on this forum makes a difference. People can see that you guys actually care about the cars, customers and product you are selling. Videos on YT make a big difference too.
Yeah getting real answers from a credible source is invaluable. I'm going with MPP for whatever I can.

Reactions: JKB8

That is absolutely nonsense. Just because you can adjust some of existing valves yourself - it's not making it any better. In fact, to make some valves externally adjustable it often comes with a sacrifice of internal volume, reliability, range of valve operation and certainly cost.

Amortization is a simple concept - build a curve of force vs speed. On the street/track you need reliability, adjustability that you can handle and absence of some additional noise. You don't need high speed valve adjustment or external reservoir. And there is no magic in any of those coilovers. They are simple.

I think most car guys that have been doing it for a while have gone through the cycle of modifying a stock car until it is no longer enjoyable to drive.

This is so, so true. Modifying a car so that it handles great on track and is also nice to drive on the road without loads of extra NVH, noisy dampers and a harsh ride etc is not easy, and takes quality parts and proper development to achieve.

Reactions: mcbarnet007

@beastmode13 did a back to back comparison with Ohlins/Redwood and MPP Sports and he say the road comfort is equal and the only difference he could tell is when you hit consecutive big bumps quickly such as those white big lane divider semi-spheres. I think the reputation that Ohlins R&T damper is superior than KW V3 maybe a little exaggerated.