Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 holster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you happen to have a J1772 EVSE that you want to use with a Tesla, and if you or somebody you know has a 3D printer, you may be interested in this holster adapter I've designed:

J1772 to Tesla holster adapter by rodsmith

It enables the J1772 holster to hold a Tesla charge plug (or, more likely, Tesla's J1772 adapter) in place. Thus, you can attach a Tesla J1772 adapter to the J1772 plug, attach my adapter to the J1772 holster, and use the J1772 holster with my adapter to hold the charge plug with Tesla's adapter in place.

I designed this because I bought a Clipper Creek HCS-40 EVSE for use with a Chevy Volt that I leased in 2016. I'm now replacing the Volt with a Tesla Model 3, and rather than replace the Clipper Creek EVSE with a Tesla Wall Connector, I want to continue using the Clipper Creek EVSE. The Clipper Creek EVSE comes with a holster that provides a good deal of coverage to protect the J1772 plug from the elements, and since mine is mounted outside, I wanted to continue using that holster, which doesn't work well with the Tesla adapter connected. Hence, this adapter. I figured that some other people might find it useful.

I can't promise it will work with all J1772 holsters, but I suspect it will work with most of them, with the caveat that you may need to print one of three minor variants. (The Thingiverse page describes the details.)

Can I buy one of these from you? I just bought a Clipper Creek HCS-60 to charge our new Model 3 + LEAF.

I'm sending you a PM. Note also that there's an "order this printed" link on the Thingiverse page. I've never used any of those services, so I can't make a specific recommendation of which to use.

How do you keep the plug and adapter together every time you unplug from the Model 3?

Do you mean the EVSE's J1772 plug and Tesla's adapter? For me, I use a tiny padlock that I bought at a local hardware store. (You can see it in one of the photos.) That keeps the two pieces together, but when I depress the button, it's still enough to interrupt the charging session. Thus, for unplugging the car, it works much like a Tesla EVSE -- I push the button, wait a second or two until I hear the car release the plug, I pull it out, and then I release the button. I can't guarantee that this will work on all EVSEs, though. (Clipper Creek seems to have changed their J1772 connector once or twice, judging by photos and videos I've seen.) Alternatively, you could do what I do at public charging stations: Push the button, wait until the car releases the plug, pull the adapter out from the car with the other hand, and then release the button. (Well, at public stations I disconnect the J1772 plug and Tesla adapter at the last point.)

I've been looking for something like this too. how's it working out? willing to make more to sell?
I'm going from Chevy Bolt to Model Y and intend to keep my juicebox charger.
I've been using mine for about 2.5 years. In that time, the original broke once, so I had to replace it. In another thread, somebody posted that the adapter didn't fit correctly in a ChargePoint Home, IIRC, but I don't know the exact nature of the problem, and that person went on to another solution (I think they replaced the J1772 holster with a Tesla-specific holster).