Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacking solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do not need them! I used hockey pucks, and they worked just fine.

The holes are there to hold the frame straight for the robots, not actually for jacking up the car. But someone decided to create a selling opportunity by telling you you needed special pads. Just jack the car near the holes, and you will be fine.

You do not need them! I used hockey pucks, and they worked just fine.

The holes are there to hold the frame straight for the robots, not actually for jacking up the car. But someone decided to create a selling opportunity by telling you you needed special pads. Just jack the car near the holes, and you will be fine.

+1 ! the stock pads on my lift work just fine..

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I'd like to take it to Discount Tire for rotations & snow tires. Should I just bring them 4 hockey pucks? I stopped by to ask about it. I told them that I thought it needed special jacking adapters to prevent damaging the battery. He asked if I brought them with me. I said no and decided to have them rotated at Tesla. Sounds like I was overthinking it.

If you're using a service jack with a flat rubber contact pad (like this), you don't actually need anything else to lift the car. The jack point surfaces on the frame rail extend down below the battery and trim (and the rest of the frame rail), so you can safely lift the car without a separate jack pad.

That said,
my service jack has some metal edges/teeth around the perimeter that I worried could extend up above the rubber pad when it's compressed and possibly contact the frame rail, so to ensure there's no metal-on-metal contact that might mar the paint, I just cut a short piece of a 2x4 lumber to sandwich in between the jack and the frame rail. (Plus, if you ever plan to use a scissor jack for a roadside emergency, you'll need something to go in between the lift point and the jack, and this could do that job. So I also plan to carry this 2x4 piece around in my trunk in case I ever need to use a scissor jack for a flat tire or whatever.)

Lastly, to go one step further and make a simple 2x4 piece just as good as one of those pricier custom jack pads with the magnets that hold them in place...

Just go to Home Depot and buy this 1-inch diameter rubber stopper. (The image on the product page is not accurate... the 1-inch stopper is shorter and wider in real life. See the photos below. You can find it in the hardware section.) Then cut it in a half, and then screw the fatter half to your 2x4 with the fatter end (which is 1" in diameter) sticking up. I did this and the stopper fits in the hole in the frame and holds the 2x4 in place. Less than $2 total in materials. Saves you $23-$33 dollars per pad. You're welcome. :cool:

upload_2018-9-7_22-33-33.png

upload_2018-9-7_22-34-6.png

upload_2018-9-7_22-34-49.png

Last edited:
D4CA6066-2F0B-45BB-9573-749AADA4FD1D.jpeg
Hockey pucks should work just fine. I decided to just get the reverse logic adaptors. Very nicely built!! Orangeish rubber ring holds it up and in place....and the black rubber pad adds protection