Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacking X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, a 3000 lbs should do it. Now the work is to find a decent one. On amazon it's crazy, lots of reviews on the cheap Chinese ones say they could kill you, and they are still top sellers! Even though Im not going under the car, it'd be scary to have it fall down like that.

Upvote 0
Yes, a 3000 lbs should do it. Now the work is to find a decent one. On amazon it's crazy, lots of reviews on the cheap Chinese ones say they could kill you, and they are still top sellers! Even though Im not going under the car, it'd be scary to have it fall down like that.
Always use a jack stand or something solid before working under a car or pulling a tire in your garage, Jacks that come with cars are only for emergency situations.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
Upvote 0
you can get a jack from Costco or Harbor Freight. both have legit options and good/decent pricing. a lower profile jack helps (pending your wheel setup) and if you need jack stands, i strongly recommend jack (http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/). they have the proper plates that work for the X too.

while you are at, get a good torque wrench to ensure lugs are torqued properly.

Upvote 0

if you aren't using the jack all the time those cheap jacks are fine. all jacks can fail, and you shoiuld always use jackstand. same thing with lifts, they all have mechanical safety interlocks in case hydraulics fail. i woulodn't worry about it.

Upvote 0
the x is nearly 6k lbs. you might be able to jack up a corner, but are probably close to the limit. make sure you have a jackstand handy as well that can support the weight
When jacking under Jack points your lifting almost half the car. On Model 3 for example both wheels will typically be in the air when you jack up a “corner”. All cars do that but Tesla body is reall stiff. Even if both tires are not in the air you are lifting way more than a “corner”.

That Jack is only 1500lbs. No way. Surprised it’s rated that low for even a small sedan. Sounds like a real POS Jack.

Oh and where are you going to put the Jack stand?

Upvote 0
When jacking under Jack points your lifting almost half the car. On Model 3 for example both wheels will typically be in the air when you jack up a “corner”. All cars do that but Tesla body is reall stiff. Even if both tires are not in the air you are lifting way more than a “corner”.

That Jack is only 1500lbs. No way. Surprised it’s rated that low for even a small sedan. Sounds like a real POS Jack.

Oh and where are you going to put the Jack stand?
1500# is plenty for most vehicles. i use a cheap 1500# jack for my porsche. plenty to lift the corners. you'll only be lifting one corner of the x. it's not a 3.

Upvote 0
1500# is plenty for most vehicles. i use a cheap 1500# jack for my porsche. plenty to lift the corners. you'll only be lifting one corner of the x. it's not a 3.
Just because 2 wheels are not in the air like on a 3 doesn’t mean the same thing isn’t happening on just about any unibody vehicle. When you jack the front corner, watch how much the rear corner goes up with it and the whole front goes up. You are lifting way more than a “corner”.

think of a board on ground. If you lift one “corner” do the other 3 corners stay on the ground. Or do you think the board (vehicle) is bending?

when you lift one corner your lifting the other two adjacent corners as well. The suspension takes up some of it. But it’s giving the impression that it’s taking all the weight, when it’s actually only supporting a fraction of the weight. Most of the weight it on the jack and the opposite corner.

My guess is, on a 5000lb vehicle the jack might see 2000lbs. Depends on how high you jack it up.

Again this is why I jack under the suspension. Only have to raise it an inch and adjacent corners maintain their normal load. Don’t even have to turn in jack mode because the car thinks it’s level (or on a little bump).

Upvote 0
Just because 2 wheels are not in the air like on a 3 doesn’t mean the same thing isn’t happening on just about any unibody vehicle. When you jack the front corner, watch how much the rear corner goes up with it and the whole front goes up. You are lifting way more than a “corner”.

think of a board on ground. If you lift one “corner” do the other 3 corners stay on the ground. Or do you think the board (vehicle) is bending?

when you lift one corner your lifting the other two adjacent corners as well. The suspension takes up some of it. But it’s giving the impression that it’s taking all the weight, when it’s actually only supporting a fraction of the weight. Most of the weight it on the jack and the opposite corner.

My guess is, on a 5000lb vehicle the jack might see 2000lbs. Depends on how high you jack it up.

Again this is why I jack under the suspension. Only have to raise it an inch and adjacent corners maintain their normal load. Don’t even have to turn in jack mode because the car thinks it’s level (or on a little bump).

i'm not saying the same thing doesn't happen. i was replying to your statement about 1500 lb jacks being "a pos"

Upvote 0