Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @DITB, yes CHAdeMO adapter comes with every Model S in Japan. I asked for a spare, but they said it's out of stock. Here we have about 3000 CHAdeMO stations that covers most highways and Nissan / Mitsubishi dealers so it is a must to travel in Japan. Especially our outlets are limited to 3kW so CHAdeMO is necessary.

Hi, @DITB, yes CHAdeMO adapter comes with every Model S in Japan. I asked for a spare, but they said it's out of stock. Here we have about 3000 CHAdeMO stations that covers most highways and Nissan / Mitsubishi dealers so it is a must to travel in Japan. Especially our outlets are limited to 3kW so CHAdeMO is necessary.

No matter how many ChaDeMo in Hong Kong, I am going to get one of these.

The advantage with ChaDeMo is that parking lot owners can install it so that most EVs can use it, not just Tesla cars. How fast charge do you get on a good day, with ChaDeMo?

CHAdeMO is up to 500V 125A so when the battery is empty it gives 40kW to 45kW, which equates to 200km/h to 225km/h. After battery voltage rises above 400V, it gives 50kW or 250km/h. Haven't tried yet, but it will recharge Model S from empty to full in 1.5 to 2 hours.

This is perfectly fine! I wouldn't normally arrive empty at a shopping mall, and expect to depart full. Today, I used a 13A charger, effectively giving me 10A, 2kW which was about 9 km/h charging. After around 2 hours, I got just over 4 kWh charged, but I started with 310 km ideal range anyway. Had it been ChaDeMo, and I was empty, it would have been enough time to fully charge.

Despite reported problems with ChaDeMo chargers - how is it working for you, in Japan?

The price in the USA has just been dropped to 450 USD, except it still says "Coming soon" - as it has been for what, a year now?

If you can buy this adapter in Japan, I wonder if one could take it to HK and use it on a HK Model S (It would be very cool to have the first adapter, although there aren't many ChaDeMos here)

Despite reported problems with ChaDeMo chargers - how is it working for you, in Japan?

The price in the USA has just been dropped to 450 USD, except it still says "Coming soon" - as it has been for what, a year now?

If you can buy this adapter in Japan, I wonder if one could take it to HK and use it on a HK Model S (It would be very cool to have the first adapter, although there aren't many ChaDeMos here)
Other than the smoke issue with one Nissan charger on a highway rest area, all CHAdeMOs work fine.
BTW I heard there were three Leafs waiting to charge at one of the highway rest area charger today. Lack of EV experience caused this ridiculous "one charger at one location" setup.

Re adapters for purchase, Tesla hasn't said they are available yet. I've got J1772 adapter though (yet no UMC).

Tesla new car registrations was 4 in August and 38 in September.
http://www.jaia-jp.org/wp-content/uploads/201409NewCarNews.pdf

Wow, that's great. I bicycle and walk through central Osaka every day but haven't seen a single model s since the release (but i did saw a beautify roadster though). I hope they will start to show up soon.
How about in Tokyo, do you see other model s on the streets? Maybe we could start a "Tesla sightings in Japan"-thread?

@susteki: Currently, since there's no service plan, we take it granted that the ranger service is free :) We ask most of the work done at home or work, but since the SC is 2h from Tokyo, it's waste of time for the engineers.

@techmaven: It seems JAIA pulled Tesla numbers and put them into "Others" category. Google cache still has the old one.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...gs_l=hp....0.0.1.3310...........0.5DvIspZMzt0

It's not deducted - it says "this month=September" was 38, "total YTD" was 41, thus 3 cars sold/registered before the announcement.
As far as I know October seems to be close to zero. Everyone is waiting.

@hiroshiy. i do agree with your points but, the fact that "TESLA Japan" has not provided a roadmap / timeline should not be put as a burden on the customers. In this day and age turn-by-turn Navigation is available in all cars, we are not asking for new items, just for items that are already available. Firmware version 6.0 has been released and nothing from Japan on when it will be distributed here in Japan. I've yet to receive a day forecasted date for delivery. Here is the email for Head of Japan [email protected] i'm sure he will provide you with some information as you are a Signature customer.

@hiroshiy. i do agree with your points but, the fact that "TESLA Japan" has not provided a roadmap / timeline should not be put as a burden on the customers. In this day and age turn-by-turn Navigation is available in all cars, we are not asking for new items, just for items that are already available. Firmware version 6.0 has been released and nothing from Japan on when it will be distributed here in Japan. I've yet to receive a day forecasted date for delivery. Here is the email for Head of Japan [email protected] i'm sure he will provide you with some information as you are a Signature customer.
I agree. I feel something is wrong at Tesla Japan. No navigation, no service plans, no disclosure of CHAdeMO incompatible sites (they're available in the center console only, no way to check it at my desk)... Maybe I should write to him.

Hi susteki and all,

That was a long wait to get a post up! ;-) No new news yet. My car was finished on Saturday, the first of November, and my dashboard went back to the production queue message. I will update when I hear more.

@JayInJapan, indeed, i had the same issues prior. You'll see a couple of double post from me in this thread. Lol
Excited for you, means mine is that much closer to production also.:biggrin: