Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the RAV4EV is based on a 2nd Gen (Model S-like) battery, powertrain and cooling system, which was designed with fast DC charge support at 90/120kW, where the Roadster isn't.

Remember the fiasco of 90 vs 120kW charging and how Tesla won't upgrade packs to support faster charging. Obviously they believe there are limits that aren't just down to cooling.

Does the Roadster use the AC compressor during charging like the Model S? When supercharging the Model S fans go full blast in hot weather.

I just have concerns that charging the battery at over 3x the original design rate may cause problems. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, though.

I think it's fair to say that most Roadster owners - at least those who participate here - are pretty technical and are well versed with the issues you describe. We are aware that the RAV4 uses an evolved version of the Tesla battery architecture.

The guys developing this took a long time to understand the issues on the RAV4 and have stated they regulate charge based on reported temperature. I have no doubt that 1) they understand and will do the same with the Roadster and 2) will test it thoroughly with the kindly donated Roadster in California before it goes on general release.

Others have shown in this thread and previously that the Roadster HVAC system has plenty of thermal overhead, but even if the full 50 kW from CHAdeMO cannot be acheived, just having access to a much bigger network of chargers than the ubiquitous 7 kW posts would be worth the upgrade by itself.

To be clear - I meant to have CCS and CHAdeMO. I would not want to go without CHAdeMO.

I think another reason for the development of JdeMO instead of CCS was the ready support that @TonyWilliams got from fellow #EV folks in testing and reverse engineering CHAdeMO over the past few years. The project started a while back and CCS deployment was pretty sparse in California at the time.

Secondly, the CCS standard is also different in its deployment between NA and EU, not sure about Asia or Oz...

It's fun to pontificate about all the wrong ways to do this, but something has to control the CHAdeMO charger. That is one of two ways:

1) a reprogrammed Tesla firmware
2) an auxiliary external firmware

Either way would work, but I'm guessing whatever method is used, it just HAS to have AT LEAST the basic battery data, including voltages and temperatures that the car already knows. It's a bit silly to think that the battery would be allowed to overheat, as several seem to suggest.

Somenody asked up thread if there were any issues with the RAV4. It seems that if this equipment is already deployed on that car, if it either didn't work, or didn't work well, or caused some equipment issues, there would be people complaining. With an admittedly short search, I couldn't find anything like that.

There is a thread on the RAV4 forum that is two years old with over 50,000 hits.
The JdeMO for RAV4 EV has an additional microcontroller type cpu that is talking to the CANbus on one side and the CHAdeMO charger on the other side. It is basically acting as the middleman to talk to the CHAdeMO charger based on what the car is saying about its status. There is no change to any Tesla or Toyota firmware in the car - it is completely bolt-on and can be completely removed with little or no evidence that it was ever there. Tony and crew went to great lengths to get exactly matching connectors from automotive suppliers. The Yazaki CHAdeMO inlets are particularly long lead time and relatively expensive, which is one reason that they required such large deposits before committing to the project.

Personally I would be more interested in a Chademo to J1772 20kW adapter. I'm sure that is possible, and would require no mods. Yes it woukd require a fairly powerful AC inverter, but it would allow fairly rapid charging at many more locations than are currently covered by high power L2 stations.

Personally I would be more interested in a Chademo to J1772 20kW adapter. I'm sure that is possible, and would require no mods. Yes it would require a fairly powerful AC inverter, but it would allow fairly rapid charging at many more locations than are currently covered by high power L2 stations.
That's something that has been discussed on every EV forum for many years. It's not going to happen IMO. Too different in design and purpose, not to mention hardware.

I have mailed Tony and did some quistions according the JdeMO kit for roadster
The control box shall be placed under the trunk and the Chademo inlet can be placed anny were you want to do it but he said that behind the licesce plate is the best ide for the moment