Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Software Update theory has been discussed, search this thread for "software update".
Yeah, I am pretty sure a software update could fix the 40-50 mph vibration, since putting my car in track mode with rear bias will eliminate it. So, there is at least one software solution that will eliminate it, although it is kind of a hack. It might also reduce efficiency, since the rear motors are less efficient than the front motor.

Reactions: jebinc
I had initial vibration at 75+ on my plaid w/ 19s. Took it in for service few days after pickup. Regional service tech came out to assess the situation with a test drive. They found 2 out of balance tires up front. Also got the car back and found that they changed up the tire pressure to compensate. Fronts were 38 and backs were 40. Came back buttery smooth.

I had initial vibration at 75+ on my plaid w/ 19s. Took it in for service few days after pickup. Regional service tech came out to assess the situation with a test drive. They found 2 out of balance tires up front. Also got the car back and found that they changed up the tire pressure to compensate. Fronts were 38 and backs were 40. Came back buttery smooth.
Your vibration is not the vibration this tread is about. There are plenty of "tires not balanced" threads (smile)....

I'm pretty convinced the root cause of the 40-50 mph vibration under light acceleration is the half shafts, since replacing them temporarily eliminates the vibration and lowering the car reduces the vibration.
It may be the cause of the vibration but i do not the root cause. Something upstream causing the shafts to warp. Would explain why they don’t vibrate when new then develops shortly thereafter

I'm pretty convinced the root cause of the 40-50 mph vibration under light acceleration is the half shafts, since replacing them temporarily eliminates the vibration and lowering the car reduces the vibration.
Lowering the car may not have anything to do with it other than the angle of vibration from the motor itself changes. Mine is lowered and still has the vibration. Also, it’s possible there’s specific tolerances between the shafts and the motor that when replaced are met temporarily - or not, as some people have worse vibration after. We just don’t know.