Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda just released a new USB hub. Mounts Flush and hides flash drive

Buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 75 26.5%
  • Maybe at $50

Votes: 144 50.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who have gotten their hub, does jeda let you know when it has shipped, or do they provide any sort of tracking information?
I got a shipping notification from the shipper but not from jeda.

Samsung T5 SSD failed today, same notification. Music drive also failed. I think my hub is defective. I'm going to have to see about returning it. Bummer because I love the concept but it's way too unreliable. I guess I'll keep the HD although I feel like I should just go back to my thumb drive I never had an issue with until I got this hub.

Maybe someone else will develop one that works correctly.

I've read about "tons" of users having problems with flash drives, and maybe one or two having problems with SD cards, but haven't heard of any, and certainly not tons, of people having any kind of problems with ssd drives. Citations? I could have easily missed them - these kinds of things get repetitive after a while.

Sure- right below your question :)

I got a shipping notification from the shipper but not from jeda.

Samsung T5 SSD failed today, same notification.

Seriously though, there's dozens of threads going back months on folks getting corrupted video, 0 byte files, a specific repeater camera not recording (though not always the SAME one), and more recently the "too slow" message on every kind of USB recording media out there. Including SSDs.

Here's just a couple I found with 30 seconds of searching, tons more if you care to look

Sentry said car alarm went off, but video was corrupted and no signs of damage?

all of the videos from that time event (plus a few more earlier than evening) are corrupted (all 595 bytes). All my other videos, including ones later that day are fine. I'm using a 500 GB Samsung T5 SSD

A different guy in very next post said:
When I looked at the videos, they were all small files and corrupted. I just thought that I had something wrong with my SSD I had plugged in

Corrupt/Glitchy Dashcam video?

Yet another SSD user said:
However, the left repeater (which is most useful in this incident) is very glitchy. Almost looks like a codec problem? Smearing, repeating objects? (I'm on HW3, so haven't gotten the latest firmware, the video is using the HEVC (H.265) codec)

I'm recording to an SSD drive.

Anyone else notice this?

Dashcam Not recording Properly

And yet another... said:
I cannot get it to record a usable file. Before everyone explains about corrupt USB drives and fixes. I have used multiple USB drives, (even a SSD) formatted to FAT32 and have the TeslaCam folder created. I always get a red dot and never have seen a X on my cam button. The drive looks likes it is recording properly. I always hold the cam button down until it grays out so I can properly remove the drives.

Last edited:
Sure- right below your question :)

Seriously though, there's dozens of threads going back months on folks getting corrupted video, 0 byte files, a specific repeater camera not recording (though not always the SAME one), and more recently the "too slow" message on every kind of USB recording media out there. Including SSDs.

Here's just a couple I found with 30 seconds of searching, tons more if you care to look

Sentry said car alarm went off, but video was corrupted and no signs of damage?

Corrupt/Glitchy Dashcam video?

Dashcam Not recording Properly
The difference being that this is happening to me one or more times a day after installing the hub, with 0 issues before installing the hub. Months ago I had the video corruption, but that seems to have been solved several updates ago.

I'm going to partition the T5 (which I no longer need if I get rid of the hub, as I may as well just use a SATA SSD I have laying around...) So I can have music and teslacam on it, then go back to using my battery bank to get faster charging, (USB in to charge the power bank, and USB outs to the phone charging ports). Then plug the T5 directly into the second USB port.

Never had any issues with this setup as far as strange errors, it charges the phones faster, but it's messy.

Last edited:
Yeah- it's almost like all the direct-connect video/cam problems are software errors or something :)
well if the hub does not work, but everything works fine without it, then what the hell good is it? ill do more testing without the hub this week, as well as testing the ssd cable they provide. but since its having trouble with both the thumb drive and the ssd I doubt its the cable

This answer isn't scientific. How do you know it's not the hub?

It might be. But then I pointed out lots of other folks with no hub who also have had all the same issues with SSDs that everyone without SSDs have been going through as the software evolves (short clips, corrupt clips, 0 byte repeater clips, etc).

The too slow error is likely also a software issue- given we've seen numerous folks with the same model storage device both have it and not have it from person to person with same HW... and even folks on the same car who reported things like they had it, reformatted with no HW change, and it went away (long term for some, short term for others)....and of course the tons of folks who didn't change HW at all and never had any issues recording at all, but now get he message since the .24 or .28 update.

Clearly Tesla made a software change- and people whose storage was plenty fast enough to work perfectly for months are now sometimes, in some cases, getting the "too slow" message despite the obvious fact their storage isn't too slow since it works fine other than the message.

That's a software problem, not a HW problem.

Likely with whatever crap "speed checking" code they added.

It might be. But then I pointed out lots of other folks with no hub who also have had all the same issues with SSDs that everyone without SSDs have been going through as the software evolves (short clips, corrupt clips, 0 byte repeater clips, etc).

The too slow error is likely also a software issue- given we've seen numerous folks with the same model storage device both have it and not have it from person to person with same HW... and even folks on the same car who reported things like they had it, reformatted with no HW change, and it went away (long term for some, short term for others)....and of course the tons of folks who didn't change HW at all and never had any issues recording at all, but now get he message since the .24 or .28 update.

Clearly Tesla made a software change- and people whose storage was plenty fast enough to work perfectly for months are now sometimes, in some cases, getting the "too slow" message despite the obvious fact their storage isn't too slow since it works fine other than the message.

That's a software problem, not a HW problem.

Likely with whatever crap "speed checking" code they added.
The Samsung 500GB T5 SSD is working fine since removing the hub so far.

o_O
Has anybody taken low power mode into account on this Slow Drive thing?

Also, on the line of Jeda: I ordered on the 16th of August and last week their support crew said it would be shipping some time the week of the 16th of September, so shipping as late as the 20th. This does not please me, as that is five weeks when they originally stated two.

Jeda has not responded to my support request emails, 3 days without the hub plugged in and 3 days of zero issues. I plugged the hub back in tonight, but instead of using their USB cable for the drive, I am using the cable that came with the drive (not it does not fit with the cover). I also left the second drive unplugged. I will test for 3 days or until I have another issue.

Jeda has not responded to my support request emails, 3 days without the hub plugged in and 3 days of zero issues. I plugged the hub back in tonight, but instead of using their USB cable for the drive, I am using the cable that came with the drive (not it does not fit with the cover). I also left the second drive unplugged. I will test for 3 days or until I have another issue.

Did you have other things plugged into the hub when the error occurred?

There doesn't appear to be official specs on the Tesla USB ports. Specs only require 500mA when data is involved. Some people have found anecdotal evidence of 1A, 1.3A, or 2.0A. Depending on how the hub is splitting the ports, the internal port may be sharing power with an external port or may not be. Available power also depends on how the hub negotiates with the Tesla port and what the port can provide.

If any of several factors is causing the drive to have less power available than it really wants, it may go into low power mode, at which point the speed drops tremendously. As an example here, forcing a USB SSD into low power mode dropped its read and write speed both to around 1.2Mb/s, which is nowhere near good.

Did you have other things plugged into the hub when the error occurred?

There doesn't appear to be official specs on the Tesla USB ports. Specs only require 500mA when data is involved. Some people have found anecdotal evidence of 1A, 1.3A, or 2.0A. Depending on how the hub is splitting the ports, the internal port may be sharing power with an external port or may not be. Available power also depends on how the hub negotiates with the Tesla port and what the port can provide.

If any of several factors is causing the drive to have less power available than it really wants, it may go into low power mode, at which point the speed drops tremendously. As an example here, forcing a USB SSD into low power mode dropped its read and write speed both to around 1.2Mb/s, which is nowhere near good.
The low thumbdrive speed only happened once when I was using the 64 gig Samsung USB3 drive. Instead tends to stop detecting the drives completely until you sleep or reboot the car, or unplug the hub and plug it back in again. I was running the T5 and a thumb drive off it. Should have had enough power If I can charge my phone and run the T5 without issues. Anyways, baby steps, testing the hub with only the T5 now, and using the thicker cable that came with the drive I have been testing for the last 3 days.

For those who've received this (which includes me), any quality issues? The hidden USB socket is very loose in mine. I contacted Jeda earlier this week, but haven't heard a peep yet. I was hoping to find out whether it was an issue with all of the units, or just mine (and, thusly, whether to return it, or wait until another production run).

I like the cleaner look to minimize the snarl of cables and hiding the Sentry drive.

FYI, Jeda identified an issue with the USB ports and has halted production to fix their units. ETA on shipments in late September now, but I am glad they are being transparent about the delay (unlike getting the car itself, but that's a different forum LOL).

I like the cleaner look to minimize the snarl of cables and hiding the Sentry drive.

FYI, Jeda identified an issue with the USB ports and has halted production to fix their units. ETA on shipments in late September now, but I am glad they are being transparent about the delay (unlike getting the car itself, but that's a different forum LOL).

What’s the issue with the ports? Do you have a link or email from them? I was under the understanding it was only certain units and if your dashcam worked the ports were fine. If not they’d fix/replace your unit. Do you have additional or different info?

Ski

@Skione65 According to the email I received, the dashcam symbol was not appearing for some users. They reworked all the USB hubs they had already packed to ship.

Here's the updated numbers from the email I received.

Shipping Information

All orders will be shipped, completed and delivered within the month of September.

U.S : 1-2 day shipping time
North/South America: 5-7 day shipping time
Europe: 5-10 day shipping time
Oceania: 5-7 day shipping time

Please note that order numbers are randomized and not in sequential order. Shipments will go out on a daily basis.

• #56530 - 60758 - Shipping by 9/16
  • #60761 - 65976 - Shipping by 9/23
  • #65982 - 71867 - Shipping by 9/30