Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda just released a new USB hub. Mounts Flush and hides flash drive

Buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 75 26.5%
  • Maybe at $50

Votes: 144 50.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me it would make sense to just have it accept a laptop sized SSD.
I guess a "travel" sized" SSD external drive works.
Seems like it doesn't do anything about aux (lighter socket) power, so it doesn't really replace that tangle of gadgets.

Might want to insure you check the power consumption specs on whatever SSD solution you're looking at- some can draw quite a bit more than the flash drive or SDcard options others are using, and thusfar none of the 3 storage choices appear to make any difference in actual performance (since the cameras are writing a ton slower than the slowest media can handle, and the data amounts are quite small compared to say 4k dashcams)

Personally I just put my "cameras" USB drive in one car USB port, and the other I hang a 4 port anker USB hub from that runs my music USB key and the two tesla phone charging cables.

The phones don't charge super fast, but I never need them to anyway-

I can already charge at home, and at work, and (even if it's slowly) in my car, and these days any friends place will have USB ports to charge from too...so I can't think of many places I'd be for so long my phone would ever actually be able to get so low I'd care about "fast" charging in the car....heck I hardly ever need to use the slow kind in the car! (and if I ever did- I keep a spare charge cable in the center console for guests that I could plug into a rear port for "full" charging speed I suppose)

Last edited:
Might want to insure you check the power consumption specs on whatever SSD solution you're looking at- some can draw quite a bit more than the flash drive or SDcard options others are using, and thusfar none of the 3 storage choices appear to make any difference in actual performance (since the cameras are writing a ton slower than the slowest media can handle, and the data amounts are quite small compared to say 4k dashcams)
Read the spec sheet and the user guide on the Samsung T5. It's not clear what the power consumption is, but in the Korean certification section, it looks like ".8A". Doesn't leave much room for anything else unless the hub is delivering more than 900mA which is what the Anker hub does.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Read the spec sheet and the user guide on the Samsung T5. It's not clear what the power consumption is, but in the Korean certification section, it looks like ".8A". Doesn't leave much room for anything else unless the hub is delivering more than 900mA which is what the Anker hub does.

Here's a measurement of power consumption on the T5-

Samsung Portable SSD T5 Review: 64-Layer V-NAND Debuts in Retail

The 500GB variant idles at arond 0.38W and has a peak power consumption of 3.43W

So at 5v that 3.43W requires 0.686 amps.

Personally instead I've got a 256GB Samsung Bar Plus USB key in the hub for music- which only consumes about 0.3 watts reading- less than that SSD does at idle, and thus eating a mere 0.06 amps, leaving plenty (.84 amps) to slow-charge a phone (or even 2 really slow)

The SSD would be fine plugged directly into the non-hub port of course

Last edited:
I ordered one, and am interested in an SSD. I have a 32 GB flash drive in there and it fills up too quickly w/sentry. What SSDs do people have success with?

you can't beat Samsung portable SSD T5 (see the product photo even has one). Heck, I run my entire Mac OS on it and you can get one, a 500 GB, for under $100. USB flash dives are fine, but they are quite limited in speed and not meant for high performance usage. Also, with flash drives, you'll run into a problem with EXTREME Heat.

you can't beat Samsung portable SSD T5 (see the product photo even has one). Heck, I run my entire Mac OS on it and you can get one, a 500 GB, for under $100. USB flash dives are fine, but they are quite limited in speed and not meant for high performance usage. Also, with flash drives, you'll run into a problem with EXTREME Heat.

So, the funny thing here is the heat specs on the T5 are terrible compared to good USB flash drives.

Samsung Portable SSD T5 | Samsung External Storage

https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...ble_SSD_T5_User_Manual_v0.0_Rev01_English.pdf

Samsung.com T5 manual said:
Use the product in appropriate environment: temperature between 5°C - 35°C

That's about 41-95 degrees Fahrenheit for the SSD.... it routinely gets over 100 (even with cabin overheat on) in the summer months inside a Tesla.

Now compared to

the Samsung BAR plus USB Flash drive

USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus 128GB Champagne Silver Memory & Storage - MUF-128BE3/AM | Samsung US

Samsung.com Operating Temp range said:
Operating Temperature 0~60℃

That's 32-140 degrees Fahrenheit for the USB key.

And same specs on the Samsung FIT Plus low-profile USB drive- also 32-140 F
USB 3.1 Flash Drive FIT Plus 256GB Memory & Storage - MUF-256AB/AM | Samsung US

T5 warranty is several years shorter too (3 yrs versus 5 on the keys)

I've been using this - https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-500GB-Portable-SDSSDE60-500G-G25/dp/B078SVRH4B - for maybe 6 months, and it works great. No problems with the heat here in the South. It's smaller and cheaper than that samsung mentioned earlier. And it'll fit in this new Jeda just fine.

FWIW specs on that drive also say

Operating temperature 32ºF to 95ºF (0ºC to 35ºC)

So slightly lower than the Samsung for cold temps, but same limit on the high end.

Obviously that spec doesn't mean it's gonna explode at 96 degrees, but I'd be less confident in that devices long term reliability sitting in a 100+ degree car routinely than a device whose operating temp range goes a lot higher (and specifically calls out in its features it's designed to handle high temp operation)

If you ever had the displeasure of dealing with Jeda’s other products, the high failure rate, poor customer service, etc. you’ll pass on this product.

Yeah- kinda wish the Poll had an option for "Maybe for $50 and made by someone else"

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod