Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jet engine LOUD fan in hot weather. Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I felt this summer my A/C was a lot louder than last year and I could feel a weird vibration in the wheel with it was going full speed to cool the car. So I took it in to the SC to have them look at it. They didn't feel the loudness was a problem but did find that my intake actuator for the HVAC was stuck which caused an undue strain on the HVAC system for pulling in air. They replaced that part once they got it in and now I feel the system is quieter and does not have the vibration anymore. It's not silent by an means but it's more in line with what I remember from last summer.

• Informative
Reactions: baw and brkaus
I turned overheat protection back on. The cabin cools down and the A/C stops sounding like a jumbo jet pretty quickly.

Venting the top also helps if you have the sunroof.

One more thing: Consider tinting your windows. The glass roof rejects heat very well and the side/rear glass isn't too bad, but the windshield is terrible. I got clear film (for heat rejection only) on the windshield last month and the difference is night and day... The cabin cools much faster, the fans run virtually silent and the temperature is maintained better as well.

Reactions: Duffer and MarkKW
normal for the AC...what your missing is not having ICE engine to cover the noise ;)

Funny but not actually true. My tesla with AC on when it's hot is 6 db louder than my lexus with it's AC on. You can barely hear the engine even with the AC off.

The Tesla's AC system is WAY larger than any ICE car because it also has to be able cool the battery quickly. That said, I've never heard the jet engine sound unless it was a hot day AND I'm supercharging.

Reactions: mal_tsla
I get the jet engine sound almost daily in Texas. It is just the AC working hard to drop the interior temp to 70 from the heat protection level of 104 F. I had the shop look at it last month just to make sure it was fine and they said it was fine nothing to worry about. It sounds like a hovercraft lifting off pretty crazy loud for the first minute or two. I find myself pre-cooling usually just to avoid the annoyance.

I just got my car 2 weeks ago and have been driving it in hot weather but today I had the jet engine sound PLUS the motor noises were loud enough to drown out the music and navigation voice even with the climate control off. It's about 10x louder than on this video.

The odd thing is, the noise would disappear as soon as I accelerated past about 15 mph and then return once I slowed down. The constant hum would stop if I shifted into park but returned if I went into drive. Is this really just the temperature control system for the battery?

• Informative
Reactions: JD01
I just got my car 2 weeks ago and have been driving it in hot weather but today I had the jet engine sound PLUS the motor noises were loud enough to drown out the music and navigation voice even with the climate control off. It's about 10x louder than on this video.

The odd thing is, the noise would disappear as soon as I accelerated past about 15 mph and then return once I slowed down. The constant hum would stop if I shifted into park but returned if I went into drive. Is this really just the temperature control system for the battery?
Good video... I've never heard Scarlett make that noise. I'll try to post a video of what the SUPER loud A/C sounds like for me the next time it happens, but it's more of a constant whirring hum that decreases as the fan slows down. Also, my speed has no effect on it.

When driving put the car in neutral (when is safe do it). is the hum noises goes away?. Are you listening to regular radio ? Specifically AM?

That sounds like your drive motor. Time to take to SC to check it out just to be safe.

There's another thread about that particular noise, which is created by the car's sound system. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the thread at the moment, but I recall it being discussed within the past six months. Try rebooting the center screen (press and hold both scroll wheels on the steering wheel).

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this today and it appears to help.

I still am a little perplexed though that this is considered normal. It’s not a normal sound and it’s very disturbing while driving. The car just feels bogged down. It’s not something I have to deal with often as we rarely get the crazy hot temps here.

The HVAC system is doing a lot of work to keep both the interior and the battery pack cool, which requires a lot of condenser fan, hence the noise. That said, the car shouldn't feel bogged down or have reduced performance in these conditions.

Thanks for all the comments. It makes sense that it would be a generated noise because why else would a "normal" noise be magnified so consistently. I ended up powering down the car when I got home and haven't had it happen again. I have a service appointment for some delivery issues so I'll show them the video and see if they have any thoughts.

I am having a similar problem. I think there may be louvres not opening on the bottom front grill area... I am having my ranger check it out.... it’s also been the hottest weather of year so haven’t wanted to freak out, but I noticed the right front grill louvres are not opening and I suspect the system is kicking into overdrive to compensate. The system blows cool air, but at much reduced flow... 37,000 mile S owner