Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I setup a Jolt account and will do some charging around Adelaide when its cheaper (Peak at home is 3pm to 1am and 48c/kwh) than home or if i am going past one and need a faster top up. Its taken a few days trying to catch up charging to 100% at home after a long trip as the off peak window is only 5 hours.

Id rather give my money to Jolt or RAA/CHargefox than directly to our power providers (yes, i know it goes there anyway)..

Unfortunately there are none in my Council area due to my council being very short sighted about allowing EV Charging, but there are heaps in other councils on my way to and from work.

Reactions: Jules22
Jolt

Tips:
1)If you are after the free 7kWh, stop the charger on the phone app when it gets to 6.93kWh, otherwise you run the risk of going over 7kWh. At 7.01kWh you get charged 50c. yes I know 50C who cares but see 2).

2) the minimum 50c charge after the free 7kWh includes electricity at 49c/kWh. this means that 50C should give 1.02kW. So if you miss stopping at 6.93kWh, the next stop is 7.95kWh because 50c actually gives you 7+1.02kwh = 8.02kWh depending on the Jolt spot price.

3) So, There is a delay of about 0.07kWh when you stop the charging via the phone app. I have not tried stopping via the car. So stop the charging 0.07kWh prior to the target.

4) consider the $10/month plan. This includes 10kWh per day. 5 days a week at 48 weeks per year = 240 days = 2400kWh pa. This is equivalent to 5c/kWh. Even if you go 4 days a week its 6.25c/kWh

5) Against that there may/will be a bit of waiting......

Last edited:
Jolt

Tips:
1)If you are after the free 7kWh, stop the charger on the phone app when it gets to 6.93kWh, otherwise you run the change of going over 7kWh. At 7.01kWh you get charged 50c. yes I know 50C who cares but see 2)

2) the minimum 50c charge after the free 7kWh includes electricity at 49c/kWh. this means that 50C should give 1.02kW. So if you miss stopping at 6.93kWh, the next stop is 7.95kWh because 50c actually gives you 7+1.02kwh = 8.02kWh depending on the Jolt spot price. Stop the charger 0.07kWh prior to the target.

3) consider the $10/month plan. This includes 10kWh per day. 5 days a week at 48 weeks per year = 240 days = 2400kWh pa. This is equivalent to 5c/kWh. Even if you go 4 days a week its 6.25c/kWh

4) Against that there may/will be a bit of waiting......
Thanks for the tips!

I haven't initiated a charge yet, but notice in the app it has a "free energy" slider. Do you use this to determine the energy delivered to work towards the limits you mention above? Does it behave ok so you can stop in time. Im not too fussed but am interested in how you go about it :)

Our Jolt units are 25kw which is faster than home charging but hardly fast charging, it will be interesting to learn how they behave at various SOC.

Once i work out the timings for delivering 7/10kwh and what my daily use is (ive only just returned to work after a long leave and interstate trip) i could easily incorporate this into my morning commute by leaving home slightly earlier etc.

it has a "free energy" slide
You have to manually stop all charging sessions. There is no slider. - the "slider" you see is just the amount of delivered kWh. Note pressing the stop button on the Jolt enclosure will possibly put it into fault mode and result in Jolt having to restart the unit (ask me how I know)

Sometimes it nerfs to half

i could easily incorporate this into my morning commute by leaving home slightly earlier etc.
Other people may have the same ideas. At least some Jolts will indicate "time remaining" on the app for the person currently charging

Reactions: dronus
Is that time to 100% or time to their free 7kW, after which they may not move.

On the $10 plan, I more see it as 3kWh free, given you could otherwise get the first 7kWh free anyway, making it a not so good plan, unless you are committed to using it very regularly.

Would only be worth it if you could build up credit imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
You have to manually stop all charging sessions. There is no slider. - the "slider" you see is just the amount of delivered kWh. Note pressing the stop button on the Jolt enclosure will possibly put it into fault mode and result in Jolt having to restart the unit (ask me how I know)

Sometimes it nerfs to half

Other people may have the same ideas. At least some Jolts will indicate "time remaining" on the app for the person currently charging
Yeah cool, if the slider indicates delivered kwh i can just hit stop charging on my screen.

The JOLTs on my way to work seem to be occupied often when i drive past on the way home, but as i start work pretty early in the morning they are usually vacant, plus they are on the left side of the road on my way into work, so easier to get in and out of.
I wouldnt depend on them, more of a free top up to save topping up at home. If i really needed to top up fast id visit one of the EVIE or RAA fast chargers.

Reactions: Quickst
l, but all that seems a little over the top…
It's strange though - I've seen people lining up for free shopping centre chargers. Total dwell time can be in the hours. Some "mitigate" that by getting someone to pick them up in another EV or ICE while it's charging....it's called free time

A lot of things people do don't have a value that can be calculated comparing against their hourly wage.

For me it's not the 50c, but rather it's for a bit of entertainment value and a game if you like - how close 1 can get to 7.00kWh.
Whatever floats the boat. I don't use it much though- only if it's suitable to the schedule and travel plans. Mostly I charge twice a day - at work and at home

It's strange though - I've seen people lining up for free shopping centre chargers. Total dwell time can be in the hours. Some "mitigate" that by getting someone to pick them up in another EV or ICE while it's charging....it's called free time

A lot of things people do don't have a value that can be calculated comparing against their hourly wage.

For me it's not the 50c, but rather it's for a bit of entertainment value and a game if you like - how close 1 can get to 7.00kWh.
Whatever floats the boat. I don't use it much though- only if it's suitable to the schedule and travel plans. Mostly I charge twice a day - at work and at home
Being new to the EV game one thing i find amusing is people lining up and blocking the road to get in to a service station which is 10-20c cheaper than the next one. They must be lining up for 30 mins at least.

Then they talk about EV charging conjestion once or twice a year over public holidays..

My hourly wage doesnt apply when im driving my Tesla as im not at work and am not getting paid :)

Being new to the EV game one thing i find amusing is people lining up and blocking the road to get in to a service station which is 10-20c cheaper than the next one. They must be lining up for 30 mins at least.

Then they talk about EV charging conjestion once or twice a year over public holidays..

My hourly wage doesnt apply when im driving my Tesla as im not at work and am not getting paid :)
Try a Costco. The line ups there are horrendous. I've never understood it.