Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because Mitsubishi...

Japanese are really getting left behind in EVs
Imagine if legacy ICE manufacturers put different shaped PULP petrol fillers on their cars..

Putting type2 and CHAdeMO on a new car is like saying ... you aint using a tesla SC any time soon... Or forcing Tesla to spend more putting type 2 plugs on their SC, like those combo ones..

It's fairly common on a handful of EVs, like the Leaf and Mitsubishi's cars - Type 2 for AC charging, CHAdeMO for DC charging.

Our LEAF has Type 1 and CHAdeMO 🤣. Nissan Leafs I think from 2019 onwards replaced the Type 1 port with Type 2, but CHAdeMO remained. I have a barrel Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor so that I can use Type 2 AC charging stations. But I very rarely need to.

Reactions: B3AU
Putting type2 and CHAdeMO on a new car is like saying ... you aint using a tesla SC any time soon... Or forcing Tesla to spend more putting type 2 plugs on their SC, like those combo ones..

Tesla won’t be doing that. If Tesla wants to provide Type 2 charging at a site, Tesla adds separate AC destination chargers. It has done that at a small number of supercharger sites.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
As will most imports from Japan (growing number).
And I think early BMW electrics (again not many) also had Type 1.

But with Type 2 to Type 1 adapters available, and now CCS2 to CHAdeMO adapters under test/ limited availability (albeit not cheap) CPOs have less need to look after these cars.

pretty sure ive seen SuperChargers with 2 cables though, one is CCS2 and one is type 2?
That's the V2s.. they have a modified Type2 plug (the CCS2 plug was added later when Model 3s launched) that was used for the S and Xs.. it pushes DC down the L1 and L2 pins.

Basically won't work for anything but those older Tesla's as no other car is designed to take DC current on those pins.

That's the V2s.. they have a modified Type2 plug (later the CCS2 plug was added) that was used for the S and Xs.. it pushes DC down the L1 and L2 pins.

Basically won't work for anything but those older Tesla's as no other car is designed to take DC current on those pins.
Ohh ok that makes sense. I think the Adelaide CBD charger has them and so does the Keith ones from memory.
When i first got my m3h im pretty sure i grabbed the wrong handle and thought... hmmm this doesnt look right..

Do some have some kind of magic thing which when unlocked via the app for a non-tesla snap on an adapter, or was i hallucinating?

Might have been in the US

Do some have some kind of magic thing which when unlocked via the app for a non-tesla snap on an adapter, or was i hallucinating? Might have been in the US

It’s in the US. Tesla calls it the”Magic Dock” at Superchargers which have been opened up for cars with CCS1 ports.

And despite the similarity in name, CCS1 and CCS2 are very different. Main difference being CCS1 is rubbish and CCS2 is not.

Weird, I found a 50kw jolt

IMG_9897.jpeg

Reactions: Hairyman