Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jon McNeill to depart Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope Elon isn't serious about filling this role himself... That's simply not possible with his current time demands and the lack of a consumer advocate here is going to be less than desirable... While I didn't always agree with @JonMc, he was a very valuable asset to Tesla and I'm disappointed to see him go.

Seriously Elon, if you plan on filling this role yourself, Tesla loses because of it. Please, PLEASE, replace @JonMc with someone else and not you, we've already suffered enough...

Jeff

EDIT: So perhaps I'm overreacting a bit... No need to run from my pervious comments though...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bonnie
I only know of Jon McNeill from his posts on this site.

Exactly how many enthusiast sites do you visit on the web where a company official that high up the food chain is even a member, much less replies to customers? Amazing to say the least. He was always polite, articulate, and had the patience of a saint. I wish him all the best at Lyft.

From my quick research: Be aware at some point Lyft will most likely be a direct competitor to Tesla when it comes to AV technology and ridesharing, at least from a safety perspective. That is most likely why Lyft wanted him. The company he came from was Censio which is now known as: Facts About Distracted Driving | TrueMotion

Jon McNeill and I might have a common interest. It appears we both see distracted driving as the greatest threat to automotive safety today. We are both cyclists and have seen how things have changed for the worse.

Good people are hard to find. Great people come along once in a blue moon. Never meeting Jon, he sounds like much more than a exceptional man. Someone that treated his job as a passion. One that genuinely cares about not just a customer, but his fellow man.

Maybe a lesson for me today. Strive for that passion a little more.

Good luck on the replacement Tesla. Big shoes are hard to fill. As I have said to many a customer service rep. You are the backbone to the company you work for. Lose a couple backbones and you become spineless, and just like the competitor you say you are better than.

Best wishes to Jon and his future endeavours.

I am reminded after thinking about Elon's comment during the conference call about not replacing Jon, that early on his secretary/assistant left and Elon used that time to figure out what she did everyday as part of her duties. Maybe he feels for a short time (I hope) having Jon's departments report to him will give him better insight into what to look for and how to improve things. We can hope. Really don't see the customers' main contact person being up in the air for long. At least hope not.

I have been very impressed with Jon and am sorry to see him leave Tesla. He has all the skills of a top-notch CEO and the Lyft COO position probably is a step in that direction. I wish him all the best.

Well at least he got that "golden handcuff" faux bonus to not leave back in september.
$700,000 that late in the year was such a tell that he wanted gone. Not sure the optics are any better now, but everyone has their limits.

Well at least he got that "golden handcuff" faux bonus to not leave back in september.
$700,000 that late in the year was such a tell that he wanted gone. Not sure the optics are any better now, but everyone has their limits.

Was $700k his total annual salary? It must be at least 4x that amount...or else he couldn't even afford the Roadster 2.0.

I don't doubt Elon's capability to handle Jon's workload, but between being CEO of 3 companies + this additional responsibility, I wonder how it'll be. Anyway, it always seems to work out in the end, and wishing the best to Jon .. I think you did a fantastic job at Tesla.

Question is, will Elon personally answer questions and concerns on this forum like you used to?

I don't doubt Elon's capability to handle Jon's workload, but between being CEO of 3 companies + this additional responsibility, I wonder how it'll be. Anyway, it always seems to work out in the end, and wishing the best to Jon .. I think you did a fantastic job at Tesla.

Question is, will Elon personally answer questions and concerns on this forum like you used to?
I'd guess that Jon's direct reports will now be reporting to Elon - and perhaps one of them will show up here. Be nice!

That's just a stupid comment.

If I was an employee and kept seeing key people leaving and the company continuing to fail on promises I would be scared. They are burning through money like crazy and the production rates of the M3 are still way behind. They are losing large amounts of money and I don't think it's going to improve anytime soon. It's not so stupid of a comment if you worked there and are planning for a successful future.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
There isn't a single time that he didn't respond when he became aware of a customer needing attention.
I personally know two people who contacted him about an issue, he initially responded asking for more information and then never talked to them again. Both never had their issues amiably resolved.

He seemed to talk a lot but nothing really seems to have changed. The body shop parts situation is still a disaster. He promised to open up service for third parties and owners, and that has only gotten worse as Tesla has pulled Toolbox access even for MA folks now.