Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Journalist runs out of power in a rented Tesla and writes a review.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People will find a negative way to spin anything. That's not the concern.

Taking care of the driver is the concern. Projected-in-the-instrument-cluster in old firmware did a far better job of that than Rated has.

I may be in the minority, but I disagree. Rated is my expected distance under "standard" conditions. If I'm in worse than standard conditions ... headwind, cold, rain, uphill ... then I won't reach the number. This is useful to know. It's a number based on a formula that doesn't change based on how I drive. My 30/15/5 mile energy graph provides my projection based on most recent energy usage. With the nav running I know how much rated I have and how far I have to go. If it's 200 miles to my destination and I have 240 miles rated range then I can afford to spend 12 miles of rated range for every 10 miles I drive. If the gap between rated range and actual distance closes at the right rate then I'm in good shape. Others may say this is too complicated for most people; I find it very informative. If the dash showed projected, I'd have absolutely no idea what's happening because the hill I've been climbing the last 10 miles has dropped my range to 50 miles projected when I've got flat land ahead which will allow me to easily drive 100.

Wrong. Your climate and roads may very. To get rated range reliably in my climate, elevation changes, and street conditions I'd probably have to sell my car since I would be a traffic hazard (going too slow, impeding traffic).

And, yes, I have tried. It usually involves going 5-20 below the speed limit.

Agree with you here, though not with the hyperbole. I can easily get rated range in the right conditions ... 65-70mph, slightly rolling terrain, 65F.

Don't know about in the United States (or Finland), but if I'm travelling long distance in Australia late at night (like this reporter was), your scenario doesn't work at all. There are very few petrol stations open after about 10pm outside of cities and very large rural towns. You have to be very careful about planning your trip in this scenario, so that you can make it to the next petrol station that is open. This makes the scenario pretty much the same, whether driving with an ICE or electric drivetrain. Actually, it's not the same because there are countless more places to "fill up" an electric car in comparison to the number of petrol stations (almost any electrical outlet would do) where he could have spent about 10-20 minutes charging to get those extra 3 miles of range that he needed.

This is also true in much of the South Island of New Zealand. Before my first visit, I was told that when my gas tank reached 1/2 empty and I saw a petrol station, I should fill up. I found that to be very sound advice especially while driving along the West Coast.

Note this from Wikipedia. The power to overcome drag is related by the cube of velocity.

The power required to overcome the aerodynamic drag is given by:

(Equation at: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time requires eight times the power.

That's correct, but when it comes to range it only goes as the square. That's because going faster not only burns more power, it gets you there faster. So cube on the top divided by linear on the bottom equals square law.

This is also true in much of the South Island of New Zealand. Before my first visit, I was told that when my gas tank reached 1/2 empty and I saw a petrol station, I should fill up. I found that to be very sound advice especially while driving along the West Coast.

Its even true (though to a lesser extent) in many places in the US. Consider the southwest: Once you venture outside the suburban outskirts of big cities like Los Angeles and Las Vegas, it's not too hard to find a stretch of desert interstate with 20 to 50 mile gaps between gas stations--and the gaps only grow bigger if you need a station that's open 24/7 or one near a smaller two-lane highway. Anyone who waits to fill up until the light turns on is going to be in for a rude surprise...

I can easily get rated range in the right conditions ... 65-70mph, slightly rolling terrain, 65F.
This doesn't apply to me or my car in my environment. Just because it's true for some environments for some people doesn't mean it applies to even most of the United States.

I can "easily" get negative consumption if I define "the right conditions" as downhill Mt. St. Helens.

Perhaps it was, I don't think his point was that hitting rated range was important. For me, I'd like a fixed point. A static indication of how far the car thinks it can go under controlled conditions, whether those are achievable by my actual vehicle at this time or not (though preferably so). In my mind, this is preferable to a calculation that changes based on recent behavior of the driver. The former is the electric equivalent of the gas gauge in an ICE, while the latter is equivalent to an ICE computer's Distance Until Empty calculation.

Ideally, I'd like both. We have that now, but I do think it would be nice if the 15/30mi average's expected range made the center dash (I leave the energy graph up there).

Perhaps it was, I don't think his point was that hitting rated range was important. For me, I'd like a fixed point.
I'd have been fine with a fixed rating that I have some control over -- maybe a setting slider between (Ideal+1Wh/mi) and 500 Wh/mi. Some Tesla-controlled number that varies between firmware is and overly optimistic for my driving conditions is the problem.

The other issue is that I've seen what Projected did in the old firmware. It was exactly what I want. And then they took it away with no explanation and no replacement.

This doesn't apply to me or my car in my environment. Just because it's true for some environments for some people doesn't mean it applies to even most of the United States.

I can "easily" get negative consumption if I define "the right conditions" as downhill Mt. St. Helens.

Are you suggesting that, in conditions that exist 4-6 months of the year in the US, that the majority of people won't get within 10% of rated range if they drive at 65mph or less?
I haven't reviewed the May-October numbers on the Wh/mi thread but I may need to do that.

That's correct, but when it comes to range it only goes as the square. That's because going faster not only burns more power, it gets you there faster. So cube on the top divided by linear on the bottom equals square law.

Of course! Thinking about this though, it seems like it would remain a cubed law WRT wind, as overcoming wind doesn't change distance traveled. Is that true?

it's not too hard to find a stretch of desert interstate with 20 to 50 mile gaps between gas stations--and the gaps only grow bigger if you need a station that's open 24/7 or one near a smaller two-lane highway...

Next-gas-167-miles-sign-US6_DSC6502.jpg

Ely, NV to Tonopah, NV
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ely...556ea4cc7eef96!2m2!1d-117.2305861!2d38.069211

Last edited:
I love this example!

Here's how I see that same sign: gas stations are commonly held to be so prevalent that the government PAYS to put up a sign warning you that if you don't fuel up now, you won't get another chance for 167 miles! Compare that with Superchargers, which are almost never LESS than 120 miles apart and are commonly 160-170 miles apart but have NO signs! Heck, growing up in Colorado, Maryland and Massachusetts I saw plenty of examples in these very different states of signs warning of no gas for as little as the next *20* miles!

I'm going to wholeheartedly agree with the folks who made the good point that there are plenty of times in gas-powered vehicles where planning for re-fueling is important. But it's still the uncommon case compared to the behavior of the driving public across North America. And as a result, state governments across the country, as well as the federal government, pay for signs like the one captured by @Ssssly.

Expanding EV sales out to the masses has many challenges, of which one will be dealing with a public accustomed to "drive until the warning light comes on".

Alan

P.S. It seems unlikely to me that the TMC forum audience actually has much need of these signs even for their gas-powered vehicles. It's a very detail-oriented, execution-capable audience and as such unrepresentative of the wider public.

If a naive motorist runs out of fuel at the midpoint between Ely and Tonopah, then a rescue truck (with fuel) is faced with a 167 mile trip (@20 mpg max) to rescue the poor sob. To keep the franchise for providing roadside service the operator must agree to take ALL calls regardless of profitability. The cost of placing and maintaining such nanny signage is cheap compared to the much greater costs and risks of having travelers stranded in the outback.

Ely is the most isolated continental US city. One highway to it is called 'the loneliest road'. But fair game for the Tesla MS since RV Parks are located where needed.
--

unfortunately, that area is not even EV-drivable territory.

Disagree. It's entirely doable with the RV parks in the area. I'd also imagine if you need to drive in this area, you most likely live nearby and have access to a base that could charge.

It would be a rather interesting photo of a MS in front of such a sign, but not enough for me to drive to Ely, NV.

Also note I did not take the photo, found it on the web.

There are many places where gas stations aren't abundant.
DSCN3154small.JPG

But more than that, other vehicles have exactly the same problem. Every time I fill my work truck (Ford F350) it shows me an estimated number of km remaining which is close to double what I'm actually going to get. Every single time. It knows my driving habits, it records my average fuel consumption, but it gets it wrong every time. If a journalist hopped in that truck, and tried to use the max range listed in the estimate they'd run in to exactly the same problem they did with the Tesla, but they'd never have written an article about it, they'd shrug their shoulders and continue. Only because they've heard of "range anxiety" and want to prove it's real, do they say anything.

This unfortunately will lead companies like Tesla to hide large amounts of range to satisfy these people, you'll have a 300kwh pack with a rated range of 200miles "just in case" (ok, that may be a bit exaggerated, but you get the idea) which will just make it that much harder to plan your actual usage.

Last edited: