I looked around the forum and didn't find anyone else who had undertaken this teardown, so I decided to give it a go. I'm curious about the header visible here, what the failure mode is, and the general design and operation of the device. A fellow Roadster owner (I'm unsure if they want to be identified publicly ATM..) shipped me their dead UMC controller, found the box on the porch this morning and immediately set to work... Given other Tesla Roadster stuff I've taken apart and analyzed I suspect the header is a Pickit ISP, but wont know for sure until later... Without further ado, the photos. The case is glued shut, without any screws. The internals are potted in a vulcanizing foam rubber that I've seen in other automotive applications. The short version is that its a royal PITA to take apart. The foam is chemically resistant to everything I have on hand (various alcohols, MEK, acetone, paint thinner, etc) and anything stronger typically damages the boards. If folks have suggestions, I'm certainly interested. My early guess is that the failure mode in this unit may be the result of poor manufacturing process. Specifically an interaction between the foaming rubber and the components or the solder and flux used in assembly resulting in corrosion, and eventual failure. Of course, this is only an early guess. As this is the only device I've looked at I won't speculate if I think this is the cause of the failure in other units. Normally I'd do extremely high quality imaging the boards with my scanner, but given the potting this may not be possible... If folks have specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. 1310 EST: I'm about 2 hours in and I've stopped my disassembly for the moment has my hands are tried -- you have to slowly and carefully cut away the foamed rubber. I'll resume sometime later on and continue to add photos to the link above.