Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jump-Starting 12V Battery Charger PSA

This following might have been mentioned in this this thread. The battery can fail in multiple ways shorted cell, bad cell, case cracked etc. Leaving the jumpstarter connected for 10 minutes might work but it might also discharge it to the point where you are stranded. Not knowing what the problem is, I would disconnect the negative battery cable and attach the jumpstarter. After the contactors close and the DC-to-DC converter is enabled, the car does not require a 12V source. Remove the jumpstarter after the car is awake/operational. Turn on sentry mode so the car does not go back to sleep until you get home/replace the battery. I responded to another thread in this forum a while back with the suggestion to remove the negative cable and it worked for the owner. If anyone sees a flaw using this procedure or something that might cause further damage please respond.

A23 battery in pocket, jumpstarter and 10MM wrench in frunk. Note: most jumpstarters require a minimum voltage they use to detect reverse polarity; therefore, you need to know how to manually enable the voltage output on the unit you own/purchase.

A23 battery in pocket, jumpstarter and 10MM wrench in frunk is exactly what I plan to do after reading through this thread, thanks all for the input. I haven't had any issues with my battery, but would like to be prepared if this does happen.

Reactions: android04
This is just a public service announcement regarding what to use to jump start the Model 3 12V battery if it dies. Most of you know if the 12V battery dies, all windows and frunk and trunk closes and you cannot get into the car with your phone or key card, nor be able to access the car with your Tesla app. Most of you also know how to open the frunk using the tow hole cables and hooking up a 12V battery to them.

This happened to me recently, and while I was able to open the frunk using the method above (using a trickle charger), I did not want to jump start the battery due to reports of potentially damaging any car that you use to jump start it (or damage to the Tesla), or physically taking out the battery and replacing it due to the complexity of taking off the rear passenger seat to uncouple the 12V from the main battery. I also wasn't sure which portable or wheeled jump charger to use, for the same potential damage reasons.

So I called Tesla Roadside and a tow truck came out. The tow driver used a TopVision jump charger on the 12V, and the car instantly charged up, doors opened, and systems came back on.

Here is the model he used. Note that I have no proprietary interest in any of the products or companies, I just wanted to share:

One question: I would love to store the above jump charger in the frunk for any potential recurrence of the above situation, but the irony is that one needs a 12V charger (it used to be 9V, but no more) to open the frunk first. Any ideas on a work-around to make this idea work?

-Slipstream
The link you shared for the model of TopVision Jump charger isn’t working for me. Can you share the full name or new link.
TIA.

The link you shared for the model of TopVision Jump charger isn’t working for me. Can you share the full name or new link.
TIA.
Here you go:
ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFCS0JOWEhBUkgwVzgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5OTQzMjMySEhJVDgyNTNLWjdFJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNTE4MjQyRVc4SThSODJZRUtJJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC