Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a little bummed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new MX 100D is vin xxx91399, manufacturing start date 2/27/2018. Looks like I may be one of the last X's to get OLD MCU... Anyone around this build date with older VIN get the new MCU? I know WIngit from ATL ordered day after I did, his car went into production on 3/1 and received the new MCU. I went to the website as directed in the MS forum to determine MCU and it says clearly old model...

Wonder what the reduced value is for missing the upgrade by a day or two??? More importantly, what the long-term affect may be on future software upgrades.

Also, It's been two weeks since delivery and NO title or registration docs. Anyone else experiencing this issue??? Cannot register my car and get tags...yet. Car was delivered to my home via Tesla and I paid cash. Have called delivery folks with no luck.

Overall, not very impressed by their operation. Very mickey mouse at this point. However, on the good news side, I reserved my Model 3 in May of 2017 and received an invite to configure this week, so buying a Tesla still moves you to the front of the line for the M3 ordering option. Was going to add one, but not now...

As an update to my above post, having read through many MCU related posts on on the MS and MX forums, might be "lucky" to have the old MCU right now, not so much later on... Lots of reported "bugginess" with the new MCU. I can still connect to WIFI, reboot with scroll wheel. Other than major browser/internet lag and slower navigation response, car is basically flawless so far. So as whiny as my above post sounded- still pretty amazed with the car itself. Not so much Tesla as a company at this particular point...

Tesla customer satisfaction would benefit from more predictable product update timeframes.

Like an iPhone -- you get one now and you are fully aware it'll be superceded in about 6 months. The way Tesla does it blindsides customers.

Right. By the time the MCU upgrade is available, all the bugs will be worked out. They can’t even reboot their MCUs! Living on the edge isn’t so great sometimes! :D

As for the registration, my DS took care of the whole thing. Isn’t Tesla doing the registration? Are you in a different state or something?

Tesla has a policy to constantly update their vehicles. If something is available on the day yours goes down the line, you will get it. Don't know how it could be fairly done any other way. Makes production efficient, and their vehicles constantly get better. Some people will get a bonus with an update, but others will just miss it.

If they were to tell all those in line exactly what changes are going to be available in the next 30-90 days it would cause chaos shuffling all those partly finished vehicles around to assure everyone gets the latest changes. People might be putting off accepting delivery almost forever, as something new always seems to be just around the corner.

Even then, people saying go ahead, will still miss out on improvements that are going to be implemented just one day after that deadline.

Thank you for all the comments- kind and snarky. Yes, I understand this is the luck of the draw...the $120,000 draw. But when you do things this way, some folks say, yahoo- I got it and others get to say, damn- just missed it. Guess which one is happier...and more pleased with their purchase experience. A smart company would say- hey guys, you just missed a substantial upgrade, so here's 25% off and front of the line to get the upgrade when we have them available. A certain portion of those folks would not even upgrade- so no cost to Tesla. Others would. But ALL would likely feel better about their experience.

Reactions: Fiddler
And as an additional comment, the new MCU is the least of my concerns/impressions with Tesla. 21 days after scheduled delivery and I still have no title or docs to take to DMV to get registered. That is pretty lame. And this was a cash buy so no banks or lien holders involved (probably a factor in the lack of timeliness). Multiple calls to local delivery center and plenty of "let me check on that"... All added together- no warm fuzzies as a new owner. Anybody want to buy a 2018 MX 100D with old MCU and 250 miles and maybe get to be first registrant???

Thank you for all the comments- kind and snarky. Yes, I understand this is the luck of the draw...the $120,000 draw. But when you do things this way, some folks say, yahoo- I got it and others get to say, damn- just missed it. Guess which one is happier...and more pleased with their purchase experience. A smart company would say- hey guys, you just missed a substantial upgrade, so here's 25% off and front of the line to get the upgrade when we have them available. A certain portion of those folks would not even upgrade- so no cost to Tesla. Others would. But ALL would likely feel better about their experience.

yea, i agree. If say within a certain time period (30 days) of a major upgrade like the MCU, it would be nice for Tesla to offer a new owner to get that upgrade for free or at least get it retrofitted at a discounted current owner pricing.

Reactions: Gpa9504
I pointed this out once before, seems a bit OCD for people to be making a big deal out of MCU2 when you need to run a diagnostic to know if you have it or not. Nice to have? Sure, but I wouldn't currently pay $500 for it. It wouldn't matter to me how fast the browser is, it's not as convenient as my phone for browsing.

We should be getting our new X today or tomorrow, and will be able to do a side-by-side comparison of the MCU in our 2017 S 100D and our new 2018 X 100D. I'm not expecting a huge difference in performance, just like we don't see much difference between the 3G in our 2013 S P85 and the LTE in our 2017 S 100D. I suspect that performance bottlenecks are more likely due to software architectural issues, and while having a faster processor or internet connection will help - the way the software is implemented may have a larger impact than the raw performance of the underlying hardware.

We didn't upgrade to LTE in our S P85, because the performance improvement wasn't large enough to justify the cost.

And, we'll upgrade the MCU in our S 100D only if we see a huge performance improvement.

As for future software updates, I expect MCU1 vehicles will receive the same updates as MCU2 - and that Tesla will be making future MCU updates (MCU3, MCU4, …) - and that just having a different MCU won't prevent Tesla from continuing to update the earlier MCUs.

We should be getting our new X today or tomorrow, and will be able to do a side-by-side comparison of the MCU in our 2017 S 100D and our new 2018 X 100D. I'm not expecting a huge difference in performance, just like we don't see much difference between the 3G in our 2013 S P85 and the LTE in our 2017 S 100D. I suspect that performance bottlenecks are more likely due to software architectural issues, and while having a faster processor or internet connection will help - the way the software is implemented may have a larger impact than the raw performance of the underlying hardware.

We didn't upgrade to LTE in our S P85, because the performance improvement wasn't large enough to justify the cost.

And, we'll upgrade the MCU in our S 100D only if we see a huge performance improvement.

As for future software updates, I expect MCU1 vehicles will receive the same updates as MCU2 - and that Tesla will be making future MCU updates (MCU3, MCU4, …) - and that just having a different MCU won't prevent Tesla from continuing to update the earlier MCUs.

... I guess you can assume only for now that MCU1 and 2, will be updated together since some MCU2 cars have AP2 hardware and will need the same updated interface. We don't know the future for any hardware for MCU3 but it could likely get tied to other hardware/feature updates, perhaps a whole new screen layout like Model 3 or multiple screens/systems and take its own path as well leaving MCU1 & 2 in a different update path also - likely so. Probably know this on any future major exterior/interior redesign of S & X in years to come.

I pointed this out once before, seems a bit OCD for people to be making a big deal out of MCU2 when you need to run a diagnostic to know if you have it or not. Nice to have? Sure, but I wouldn't currently pay $500 for it. It wouldn't matter to me how fast the browser is, it's not as convenient as my phone for browsing.
Had a 2016 X with mcu1 and now MCU2. I wouldn’t pay $500 to upgrade it. The difference is not really obvious on normal usage. Map zooming/panning is faster, sure, but it’s not something I need to do on a daily basis.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA