Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought the Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a few days short of my deadline. Couldn't decide.
My main concern was years one and three are pretty skimpy. Nothing too expensive there, but there was an unknown.
If I just did even years with Tesla at today's prices it would cost $3200 over 8 years (plus inflation which probably would bump it to $4000).
The unknown element was the filter replacement. So I called the parts department and asked "how much is the filter in the new Model S with biodefense mode"?
The answer came back $193. Gulp.
Just ordered the ESA.

• Informative
Reactions: ishop4more
I was under the impression the HEPA filter isn't included as part of prepaid service, just the cabin filter. However, if the cabin filter is changed regularly, the HEPA filter doesn't need to be changed.

I tried to buy the extended this week, only to find only the original owner can do so ! This was a major surprise to since the two warranty repairs I received so far, the tech asked me to consider purchasing it. I did tell at the time I was the second owner and they told me it didn't matter ! Needless to say, I am not a happy camper :(
Anyone else run into this issue ?

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: SuperOmega
I tried to buy the extended this week, only to find only the original owner can do so ! This was a major surprise to since the two warranty repairs I received so far, the tech asked me to consider purchasing it. I did tell at the time I was the second owner and they told me it didn't matter ! Needless to say, I am not a happy camper :(
Anyone else run into this issue ?

Jeff
go to a different service center and ask again

• Love
Reactions: SuperOmega
By then, everything that could break, has broken and been fixed under warranty.
You should have no problems after 100,000 miles :;

Is that a guarantee? A warranty? A Possibility? :)

Do you think Tesla is going to consider turning around MS trade-ins over 100,000 miles as CPO?
Many owners may want to trade in just before 100k miles for a new unit to get under full warranty again. Good for new sales numbers.

Is that a guarantee? A warranty? A Possibility? :)

Do you think Tesla is going to consider turning around MS trade-ins over 100,000 miles as CPO?
Many owners may want to trade in just before 100k miles for a new unit to get under full warranty again. Good for new sales numbers.
I don't know of anyone who takes 100,000 mile cars in trade.
I usually keep my cars a long time and have found maintenance costs much less than depreciation on a new car. I'm planning to keep the Tesla "forever".

Reactions: Joelc and PtG62901
I don't know of anyone who takes 100,000 mile cars in trade.
I usually keep my cars a long time and have found maintenance costs much less than depreciation on a new car. I'm planning to keep the Tesla "forever".

Not only that but I don't know of many that would buy/purchase a vehicle with over 100,000 miles on it, though I suspect a Tesla may be different and I'm curious to see in the long run how this plays out as the Sigs and 2012/13 models start to get up to that milestone on usage and are put up for sale.
Also, in my experience as ICE vehicles get upwards and even more so 'over' the 100k plus mileage arena the maintenance costs tend to skyrocket and outweigh retaining the vehicles. Again, I would venture to say Teslas will probably be different (hoping) and I'm curious as to how their build quality when in high mileage territory holds up, especially with then being out of Factory and ESA warranty.

Ski

Not only that but I don't know of many that would buy/purchase a vehicle with over 100,000 miles on it, though I suspect a Tesla may be different and I'm curious to see in the long run how this plays out as the Sigs and 2012/13 models start to get up to that milestone on usage and are put up for sale.
Also, in my experience as ICE vehicles get upwards and even more so 'over' the 100k plus mileage arena the maintenance costs tend to skyrocket and outweigh retaining the vehicles. Again, I would venture to say Teslas will probably be different (hoping) and I'm curious as to how their build quality when in high mileage territory holds up, especially with then being out of Factory and ESA warranty.

Ski
The expensive maintenance items on ICE cars are the engine and transmission. They do tend to have problems after 100,000 miles.
The Tesla, of course, doesn't have the thousands of parts in an engine and transmission. Just one moving part in the motor. Electric motors are much more reliable and can easily run for thousands of hours. Elon has stated that his goal is a "million mile drive train". I don't know if we are there yet but there is no fundamental reason that it couldn't happen.
I personally am going to keep my Tesla "forever" and put as many miles on it as I can. This will be one test.

The expensive maintenance items on ICE cars are the engine and transmission. They do tend to have problems after 100,000 miles.
The Tesla, of course, doesn't have the thousands of parts in an engine and transmission. Just one moving part in the motor. Electric motors are much more reliable and can easily run for thousands of hours. Elon has stated that his goal is a "million mile drive train". I don't know if we are there yet but there is no fundamental reason that it couldn't happen.
I personally am going to keep my Tesla "forever" and put as many miles on it as I can. This will be one test.

Thanks for this. Immensely. And now for the inevitable Q: How long have you had your EV and ballparking it, roughly how many miles per year on average have you put on your Tesla? Indeed, If EM stated that the goal is a "million-mile drive train," then all Tesla EVs, including the forthcoming M3, better have one hell of a motor. :)

Thanks for this. Immensely. And now for the inevitable Q: How long have you had your EV and ballparking it, roughly how many miles per year on average have you put on your Tesla? Indeed, If EM stated that the goal is a "million-mile drive train," then all Tesla EVs, including the forthcoming M3, better have one hell of a motor. :)
I drive my Tesla much more than I ever drove my ICE cars. My wife calls me our family's personal Uber driver. When I first got the Tesla we drove to Las Vegas to pick our daughter up at the airport (she had a business meeting in town). Of course, it was a 500 mile drive to Las Vegas through Death Valley to get there but we had a good time.
I've put about 2000 miles a month on my Tesla in the 18 months I've owned it. I don't have commute to work so this is mostly road trips. We've taken a few long trips (2000 to 4000 miles) through the Western US and Canada. We're planning a road trip to the East Coast and Prince Edward Island, Canada this Fall.
As I said, I plan to test the durability of the electric motor. I figure I can put significant miles on the car during it's eight year drive train warranty.