Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just curious...why are so many people installing dash cams?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my accident on a rural road, the other fellow thought “maybe I had swerved to hit him?”. He was uninsured and my dash cam proved I wasn’t at fault so I got my deductible back which immediately paid for the dash cam. He did admit to the cops he was on his phone, but I suspect he still could have made an argument I was the one who wandered and caused hassle for me with insurance.

And the crash video was the highlight at Christmas with all my relatives FTW!

This thread needs more dash cam videos! Here is mine:

In my accident on a rural road, the other fellow thought “maybe I had swerved to hit him?”. He was uninsured and my dash cam proved I wasn’t at fault so I got my deductible back which immediately paid for the dash cam. He did admit to the cops he was on his phone, but I suspect he still could have made an argument I was the one who wandered and caused hassle for me with insurance.

And the crash video was the highlight at Christmas with all my relatives FTW!

This thread needs more dash cam videos! Here is mine:
OMG. He was literally driving like he was in the wrong country. Swerve?

Recommendations for dash cam? How are you installing them?

Tons of folks have used the blackvue. They have different options for video quality, front and rear etc.

I just so happened to have a GoPro Session 5 I wasn’t really using and converted it to a dash cam. Some people say don’t use them because high temps can ruin them. I haven’t experienced this and it does everything I need. I haven’t needed the parking recording as I go garage to garage just need recording while driving.

A friend of a friend seemed shocked when me, first degree friends, and my SO said in the conversation ‘dashcam? Why?’. Apparently it’s really important to record the last x minutes of any trip just in case you’re involved in an incident. Especially if you’re driving a Ford Focus.

I understand the potential value for motorcyclists. I’m just not that interested, yet, in cluttering up my minimalist interior with a bunch of extra, pricey, tech that I might or might not need. That’s what I have insurance for. Though I see the potential value, as some have pointed out, I just don’t like the idea of extra CCTV.

I am fascinated though by the polarisation of dashcam users: high end cars like Tesla and Range Rover and then ford focuses, Kias and the like.

I’d have been fascinated to catch the dashcam footage of my SO inadvertently driving my Model S into a wall though. Just as well I haven’t got a dashcam.

I've had 2 incidents of road rage directed at and they were very aggressive. People are living in the own mind when driving, and for whatever perceived sleight they think they received, they try to do real crazy things like ramming your car (real or fake, I don't know). Only when I showed them my iphone was recording do the idiots go away.