TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

just curious...why are so many people installing dash cams?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by acal, May 24, 2018.

1. acal

acal Member

seems super common. It's just a camera that records the road in front of you as you commute to work or drop off the kids @ soccer practice...right? Feels like I'm missing something....

2. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

So you can prove that you weren't at fault in an accident, or you can identify vandals, you can see who unplugged your car... etc.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. Corsair

Corsair Member

Comes in handy when there's insurance/ accident dispute or someone decides to pull a hit-and-run on you without leaving details behind.

4. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Or questionable law enforcement....

• Like x 2
  5. arcus

arcus Active Member

There's a thread on this about every two months or so :) Other than what others already said, most of the camera sets offer both front and rear coverage.

Personally, I use it to document our trips (in addition to still pictures).

6. AviP

AviP Member

'Cos we are becoming like Russia!

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  7. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

In 2014, Las Vegas Metro announced they would no longer respond to non-injury accidents and it was up to the participants (I love that terminology :)) to gather evidence and swap insurance info. In 2016 they reversed their position and have started responding again, but if it’s a non-injury accident Metro advises you to move the vehicles if they are impeding the flow of traffic. So having video to document an accident is crucial for insurance purposes.

Could be a double-edged sword, tho, if police notice you have a dash cam and ask for the video it would not look good if you replied “Um, I think it wasn’t turned on” or “The force of the crash must have erased the memory card”. :rolleyes:

• Funny x 5
  8. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

My specific reason: In October 2015, I t-boned a car going through an intersection with my wife and 18-month-old in the car. Luckily everyone was alright. I know, and my wife confirms, that I had the green. The 20-year-old girl who I hit immediately apologized, said she was sorry, etc. The next day she claimed she had the green. Impossible to prove one way or another, and since we both were insured by GEICO, insurance didn't seem to give much of a crap about getting to the truth -- it never requested her phone records or tried to get a copy of the traffic camera footage. GEICO originally put the claim into the system as at-fault for me (and I suspect the other driver, too). I had to call several times to get them to change it.

If I had a dash cam, it would have saved me lots of time, money, and worry. Now both of our cars have dash cams.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 4
  9. liuping

liuping Active Member

I don't see that as a problem. If I caused the accident, I will take responsibility. I cannot count on the other person to do the same, so I have a dashcam, just in case.

10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Because other people suck at driving.

• Like x 1
  11. Pentium2004

Pentium2004 Supporting Member

They are just smart to have. Hopefully you'll never need it but when you do it would be hard to put a value on the footage.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

So you can post an idiots face on this forum when he messes with your charge cable! o_O

• Like x 3
  13. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

Of course. Just my attempt at levity. :(

14. azred

azred Active Member

You are curious about the cameras? Let me help you out:
    1.Cameras are needed for cheesy You Tube sites.
    2. You Tube sites are needed to make "friends" and get those "friends" to use referral codes.
    3. Lots of referral codes yields free Teslas.
    4. Getting free Teslas via cheesy You tube sites is better than working hard to earn them.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  15. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Because a large percentage of drivers do a rather poor job, and many are quick to shift blame away from themselves.

16. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

I mean nobody really needs a dash cam, just like I live by myself and don't need a 7 seater. but its better to have one and need it then to not have one and need it. you may or may never get into an accident which requires the footage to cover yourself, but in case you do that minor investment (less than $500) can save you on your deductible or insurance premiums.

of course unless it catches you at fault, in which case delete those videos ASAP haha.

• Funny x 1
  17. outie

outie Active Member

You are not missing anything. In essence dash cam does what what you said, record the road in front and back (if equipped). That’s like saying a gun is for shooting bullet. How people use gun is a different story.

18. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

this is a joke right? who in their right mind wouldn't have one?

google dash cam vids and find out why...if you can afford it, get it.

19. SSedan

SSedan Member

but these days it seems the VAST majority of body cam footage is showing the LEOs are doing a good job and their accusers blatantly dishonest. Damage is done to the good officer because the body cam footage is no where near as viral as the false accusations.

• Like x 2
  20. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Captures rap music accurately and crisply.

• Funny x 3