Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just curious...why are so many people installing dash cams?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a thread on this about every two months or so :) Other than what others already said, most of the camera sets offer both front and rear coverage.

Personally, I use it to document our trips (in addition to still pictures).

In 2014, Las Vegas Metro announced they would no longer respond to non-injury accidents and it was up to the participants (I love that terminology :)) to gather evidence and swap insurance info. In 2016 they reversed their position and have started responding again, but if it’s a non-injury accident Metro advises you to move the vehicles if they are impeding the flow of traffic. So having video to document an accident is crucial for insurance purposes.

Could be a double-edged sword, tho, if police notice you have a dash cam and ask for the video it would not look good if you replied “Um, I think it wasn’t turned on” or “The force of the crash must have erased the memory card”. :rolleyes:

My specific reason: In October 2015, I t-boned a car going through an intersection with my wife and 18-month-old in the car. Luckily everyone was alright. I know, and my wife confirms, that I had the green. The 20-year-old girl who I hit immediately apologized, said she was sorry, etc. The next day she claimed she had the green. Impossible to prove one way or another, and since we both were insured by GEICO, insurance didn't seem to give much of a crap about getting to the truth -- it never requested her phone records or tried to get a copy of the traffic camera footage. GEICO originally put the claim into the system as at-fault for me (and I suspect the other driver, too). I had to call several times to get them to change it.

If I had a dash cam, it would have saved me lots of time, money, and worry. Now both of our cars have dash cams.

Could be a double-edged sword, tho, if police notice you have a dash cam and ask for the video it would not look good if you replied “Um, I think it wasn’t turned on” or “The force of the crash must have erased the memory card”. :rolleyes:

I don't see that as a problem. If I caused the accident, I will take responsibility. I cannot count on the other person to do the same, so I have a dashcam, just in case.

I mean nobody really needs a dash cam, just like I live by myself and don't need a 7 seater. but its better to have one and need it then to not have one and need it. you may or may never get into an accident which requires the footage to cover yourself, but in case you do that minor investment (less than $500) can save you on your deductible or insurance premiums.

of course unless it catches you at fault, in which case delete those videos ASAP haha.

• Funny
Reactions: Pentium2004
You are not missing anything. In essence dash cam does what what you said, record the road in front and back (if equipped). That’s like saying a gun is for shooting bullet. How people use gun is a different story.