Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just finished a 3,044 mile road trip in my '16 MS 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just drove to southern California and back for a total of 3044 miles in my 2016 MS 90D.
Here are dome highlights:

• MS drove like a dream. Just like a new car even with 87k miles on it.
• Average Wh/mi was 322. Not bad.
• Took the mountain passes with ease.
• Interior stayed cool even when the outside temperature reached 124°! (lot's of ICE cars on side of road)
• With Free Supercharging, the entire trip cost me nothing!
• Only 2-3 superchargers that were not very good or had no bathrooms available due to covid. But a truck stop was nearby.
• Impressed the relatives in California with Tesla rides!

Overall a very smooth trip.
Can't with for the next road trip.
E4AA6038-5D63-4593-8798-DF1314A2EF3D_1_201_a.jpeg

I am maybe more impressed that so many Supercharger stalls remained empty in your photo! Glad to hear about your roadtrip. Was it a solo trip or did you have family and gear too? Did you experience any flat tires on your trip? An amazing car indeed.

I am maybe more impressed that so many Supercharger stalls remained empty in your photo! Glad to hear about your roadtrip. Was it a solo trip or did you have family and gear too? Did you experience any flat tires on your trip? An amazing car indeed.
Just me and the wife. It's a very stress free way of traveling.
No flat tires because I recently put a new set on the car.
The busiest superchargers were in California but the hotel I stayed at had a free J-1772 charger.

Very much impressed! Especially impressed with the AC performance. Hard to imagine 124F and even harder to imagine the car staying comfortable in that. Sometime my car has trouble when temp is in low 90s. I finally resorted to getting a sunshade for the sunroof after the first three years or so.

Curious what your roof is -- solid steel, all glass, or classic sunroof? And do you have extra tinting on the windows and/or roof glass? Can't really tell from the photo.

Very much impressed! Especially impressed with the AC performance. Hard to imagine 124F and even harder to imagine the car staying comfortable in that. Sometime my car has trouble when temp is in low 90s. I finally resorted to getting a sunshade for the sunroof after the first three years or so.

Curious what your roof is -- solid steel, all glass, or classic sunroof? And do you have extra tinting on the windows and/or roof glass? Can't really tell from the photo.
Mine has the sunroof and rear roof glass. But it helps to have the roof glass sunshades while driving in that heat. Also have a windshield shade that worked great while parked and charging.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
124 degrees outside and it was comfortable inside the car? I’m skeptical, only because I remember my p90d being quite hot inside when I drove to Las Vegas. In fact going up one of the passes I got a message about reduced AC performance due to battery temp.
Also your comment about lots of ice cars being parked on the side of the road is a bit interesting, dare I say unbelievable, and I say that because my ice cars normal operating temp is 210 degrees.

124 degrees outside and it was comfortable inside the car? I’m skeptical, only because I remember my p90d being quite hot inside when I drove to Las Vegas. In fact going up one of the passes I got a message about reduced AC performance due to battery temp.
Also your comment about lots of ice cars being parked on the side of the road is a bit interesting, dare I say unbelievable, and I say that because my ice cars normal operating temp is 210 degrees.
I had the interior temp set between 64°-66° and it stayed comfortable inside. I had no problems at all!
As far as ICE cars along the side of the highway, I couldn't say why they were broken down - overheating, poor maintenance - but there was a lot of them.

I had the interior temp set between 64°-66° and it stayed comfortable inside. I had no problems at all!
As far as ICE cars along the side of the highway, I couldn't say why they were broken down - overheating, poor maintenance - but there was a lot of them.
I had mine set at 72 and it still had to cut out during the mountain climb. Not sure how hot it got inside but we were definitely sweating for a while. Although to be fair I was doing 90+ mph

I wonder if there was any improvement made from the 2015 to your 2018 model.

I had mine set at 72 and it still had to cut out during the mountain climb. Not sure how hot it got inside but we were definitely sweating for a while. Although to be fair I was doing 90+ mph

I wonder if there was any improvement made from the 2015 to your 2018 model.

100 packs have a second cooling loop. So those batteries are much better off.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and AMPd
There is a hill outside of Sacramento going towards Lake Tahoe. It's the first climb people come to and it's only 6% for a few miles. During the summer it's littered with cars parked along the side of the road that cannot even make it up that bit. It makes you wonder what these people do with (or don't do with) their cars that such a small grade makes them fail so easily.:rolleyes:

Reactions: AMPd
@Bodyhauler curious what kind of speeds where u seeing supercharging ? I would think with older 90 batt you weren’t getting good charge speeds ?
The initial charging speeds were 315-330 mph. The only time it was really slow was when someone plugged into the B charger while I was on the A. A couple chargers weren't working well and only charged at 60-125 mph but had to change until I found one working correctly and would charge at 300 mph.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4 and P85_DA