Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just for fun : Tesla 2014 Speculation Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rifleman

Now owns 2 Model S's!!!
Nov 29, 2011
Harrison Ohio
2013, the "Year of Model S" is almost over. With 2014 right around the bend, lets have some fun trying to predict the future. What do you think 2014 will bring for Tesla? At the end of 2014, we will need to resurrect this thread, and award appropriate internet points for whoever was closest.

My predictions, based off of nothing but speculation are :

A Model X Beta will make it's first public appearance at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show.

Tesla will deliver around 32,000 Model S's in 2014.

Late in the year, we will see the first significant changes to Model S. Changes will include :
1. Available AWD, price will be around $7500
2. Available 110 kWh battery. This will be an additional $10,000
3. Slight redesign of the nose cone
4. Discontinuation of the 60 kWh battery
5. Supercharging will now be an option in the 85 kwh model, but will come standard in the 110
6. A $5,000 price reduction in the base price of the Model S

Elon will let a few more details about Gen III slip out, but we will not hear anything official about it in 2014.

Final Model X pricing will come out in the fall. It's going to be expensive, and early reservation holders are going to be pissed.

The first few Model X deliveries will occur in November or December, probably to Elon and a few other founders only. No Signature deliveries in 2014.

Tesla will open and additional 10 retail stores and 15 service centers in the United States.

At least 2 coast to coat super charger routes will be completed before the end of 2014, but not all the 2014 dots will be built. A few locations that are not on the map at all will suddenly find a supercharger popping up next door.

At least 1 more Model S owner will be unfortunate enough to have a collision severe enough to cause their battery to catch fire. Less people will care this time.

Even though he does not actually own a Tesla, Rifleman (me) will still continue post on TMC, aggravating actual Tesla owners by posting stupid threads like this and questioning man made global warming.

Ok, those are my guesses, now give us your 2014 predictions.

I'll respond to your ideas...

I'll bet Model S AWD won't come until well after Model X ships.

I think it's too soon for a bigger battery, but you never know.

Nosecone redesign; sure, why not?

I think discontinuing the 60 kWh battery is a very bad idea. Tesla needs to have a lower-priced entry to draw people into thinking about buying the car. Then they'll up-sell themselves. I know this sort of psychology works from my own experience in business. Having a low-end version that doesn't sell that much is great to have in the product matrix because it really helps sell the higher-end versions.

No sense in making Supercharging optional, as it is a key feature of the car and the distances are sized for 85 kWh.

Base price reduction would be wonderful, but not holding my breath.

I don't think we'll hear that much about Gen III, because they're going to be focusing all the attention on X. Also I doubt much engineering has actually been done on it, other than very high-level stuff.

Yes, I'm sure X is going to be pricier than S.

Agree about delivery dates. I think they've basically said as much. They're still focusing on optimizing S production and sales/service, rather than pouring everything into X.

I think all new service centers are going to have at least mini-stores in them. The new Canadian locations are doing that, because potential customers randomly drop in and the poor service techs can't really help them! That's why Montreal service now has sales staff. Tesla also kinda surprised us with the second service center in Toronto having a huge built-in store!

Agree about Supercharger locations.

Probably right about crash.

I'm sure we can depend on you for AWG denying!

1. Maybe very late in the year we will see an AWD option
2. Although Id love a 110kWh battery, i dont see that coming until 2015.
3. Dont see them redesigning the nose cone, no reason to, none that i can see at least
4. Doubt they will discontinue the 60kWh battery, no reason to do so.
5. I can see that happening if the 110 battery would be available, doubt it will.
6. I dont see that happening.

Rifleman, agree about 110kWh battery. They may not really start selling until 2015, but I think it will be announced this year... perhaps as early as mid-year with the Model S starting to get them even before X deliveries go. Given the percentage buying 85 vs. 60 it just makes too much sense. Not sure about 60 being discontinued, at least not right away, Doug made a good point.

Nose cone, I'd like to see a little tweak... I've actually heard Franz say it's the one thing he looks at and thinks about changing. this year, next year... I dunno.

Lower price great idea, but maybe more like $2.5K drop and keep supercharger. wow, people with the money to buy it are gonna love that 110 kWh.