Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got 20" performance wheels installed on my Model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, if you can send me the link to his video. I'm not familiar with his channel.

I'm having trouble finding the link. It was an extended version of the below video, which is of no use for this conversation...
I'll tweet him and ask.

Question - once you install the 20" wheels and have the suspension adjusted, can you put the 18" wheels back on? Or is the change "permanent"?

The suspension change is permanent. Although you can always put the 18s back on, I don't really understand the repercussions of the change very well. They give you the 18s back but not the previous suspension links. The 20s look so good I am never going to put the 18s back on. Selling those as soon as I get back from Memorial Day weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax and commasign
I think the rear links decrease camber, although I had to google that term. What I'm extrapolating is that negative camber is good for performance cars, so then these must decrease camber in some way to make it more negative. Thanks for introducing me to the term. Camber angle - Wikipedia.

For the load/suspension issue, most cars when you open the driver door have a GAWR rating (gross Axel weight rating), which tells you how much stuff you can hold in your car. The owners manual maintains the *same* GAWR on the rear axels with the (I suspect) heavier 20" wheels on the rear as the 19" wheels. I'm assuming this is due to the suspension changes on the rear.
Yeah, I meant more negative camber. I always hear people say more camber to mean more negative because more is better!
I guess they assume that people with the sticky summer tires on the 20" wheels will be cornering faster and need more negative camber to keep the tires from wearing on the outside edge :)
I know there's a company selling adjustable links for "spirited" drivers.

I
Yeah, I meant more negative camber. I always hear people say more camber to mean more negative because more is better!
I guess they assume that people with the sticky summer tires on the 20" wheels will be cornering faster and need more negative camber to keep the tires from wearing on the outside edge :)
I know there's a company selling adjustable links for "spirited" drivers.

Which company? I was thinking of getting some beefy adjustable ones made with sealed bearings and teflon coating.

Im sure that i am going to get some comments, but I am going to squeeze 10.5 inch wheels and 285/295 tires in the back and 8.5/9 inches in front...bolt pattern is common in the racing world....

I

Which company? I was thinking of getting some beefy adjustable ones made with sealed bearings and teflon coating.

Im sure that i am going to get some comments, but I am going to squeeze 10.5 inch wheels and 285/295 tires in the back and 8.5/9 inches in front...bolt pattern is common in the racing world....
Mountain Pass Performance
Someone has put 9.5" in the front: Model 3 Aftermarket Wheel Fitment - NA only
And, yes, staggered setups are silly. They did leave more room in the back so if you're going for the "hella flush" look you might as well :p

I'm having trouble finding the link. It was an extended version of the below video, which is of no use for this conversation...
I'll tweet him and ask.

The suspension change is permanent. Although you can always put the 18s back on, I don't really understand the repercussions of the change very well. They give you the 18s back but not the previous suspension links. The 20s look so good I am never going to put the 18s back on. Selling those as soon as I get back from Memorial Day weekend.

Any change to the ride height with the suspension change? Always felt the wheel gap was a bit larger than it should be.

All of the nitty gritty specs like maximum car load with these on and recommend PSI for 140mph+ are in the latest owners manual. In terms of with/without aero covers, I can't stop flooring car at every stop light. So I can't really be of any help. I'm seeing like ~268ish wh/mi overall with about 200 miles total. As I use autopilot and get my highway numbers, that number is dropping.

Any updates on efficiency at highway cruising? Curious to know ballpark % change vs the 18" wheels. Thanks!

Any change to the ride height with the suspension change? Always felt the wheel gap was a bit larger than it should be.

It looks like the front sits a little higher now just because the wheel center is different with the diameter increase, and that’s the part without suspension change. I didn’t do a before/after on the back and can’t tell. Sorry about that.

Put snow tires on them and keep ‘em for winter. You’ll appreciate the traction and extra range when it gets cold!

Reactions: PoitNarf
Still at 268 Wh/mi with pedal mashing every stop light and 50 miles on the highway. I’m taking a road trip today and can do a highway test for you over a few hours. I’ll report back in the AM or very late at night. Thanks.

Saw 285 Wh/mi overall in 400 highway miles with speeds ranging from 65-78mph (mostly on 78 mph end). Saw 290ish when going 78. Saw 235ish when going 65. Your mileage may vary due to speed, heater/ac use, temp, how hilly the area is, etc.

Reactions: dgaultiere
It may be interesting to note that the ProContact RX tires that come on the 19" wheels have a UTQG rating of 400 and no low rolling resistance qualification per TireRack. The Pilot Sport 4S tires that come on the 20" wheels have a UTQG rating of 500 and are categorized as "eco" by TireRack. I'd be really interested to see how these tire/wheel combo's direct compare for highway efficiency.

Last edited:
The thing I find disappointing is that the 18s, 19s and 20s are all the same width, so there's very little in the way of performance improvement by upgrading, it's effectively all cosmetics (well, and hits to ride quality and damage likelihood). Yes there's a tiny amount of handling responsiveness improvement due to the smaller sidewall, but that's insignificant.

There should be a huge non-costmetic difference in that the 20s come with actual performance tires, instead of the crap all-seasons the 18s/19s come with.

Reactions: Zoomit
Though of course one could fit good performance tires for rather less than $4k :p

Sure- that's what I intend to do, putting 18" PS4s on my aeros when I get my M3.... just wish Tesla would sell offer an option to get them from the factory that way instead of needing to find someone who wants a set of 4 barely-used 18" MXM4 all-seasons