Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got Model S as a loaner while my MY is in service for factory defects. MY is a better car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: In my opinion MY is the best Tesla yet! So if you are on the fence, get the Y!

I expected to be WoWed by MS, afterall its much more expensive! I got a 2018 75D (yeah not Performance) as a loaner and wow, ive never been in a Model S before, and I must say, I was expecting more.

The seats are half cloth (not entirely leather like MY), the steering wheel controls and door cluster feels like I just sat down in a standard luxury car (Lexus/Mercedes) from 10 years ago, the screen while much larger does not seem to deliver any more info, its just blown up (bigger). It does have the cool raise/lower suspension feature, but is lacking other things, like for example fan only temperature control mode (its either on/off with A/C, not option to do fan only)

I didnt take it to a track or precisely measure anything, but Id say acceleration feels just about the same as my MY going from 0 to 70ish (just going from a red light on a straightaway). I was expecting MS being more aerodynamic to have more punch.

I was expecting the behind the wheel cluster to feel luxurious, more fancy. Nope. MY has all that info on it's screen. In fact I prefer it there, because I found my hands/steering wheel getting in the way of me seeing the lane view (seeing stuff around me, especially when parking in a tight spot). Its like they took MS layout/view and compacted it in a much more efficient yet equally convenient way.

The center storage area is kind of weird. No real convenient place to put the phone, the insides are rubber (industrial feeling), and that large area has little grooves for CDs? lol MS doesnt have a CD player... so not sure what the idea there is. Overall much less storage.

The door handles to exit again feel like 10 year old mercedes/lexus. I love pushing the button on MY.

The only thing I like in MS better than MY is the leather dash. It looks and feels real nice.

I guess my point is that I was expecting to be wowed by MS, but I am just super glad I got the MY instead! I was thinking about picking up a MS as a used proposition to have another Tesla, but now I dont know that Ill really be doing that.

Oh and being 2018, it has the dreaded yellow border on the screen.

So MY is better than one of the lowest-tier Model S ever made? I hope so.

The Raven MS (the only one available to purchase now) beats the Y out in most ways.

I will admit I am pretty ignorant on the MS. But I was under the impression that the interior is pretty much the same on all of them? Does Raven have a completely different layout inside? Thats my main disappointment in MS. Obviously I dont expect 75D to perform like P100D lol.

So are you talking about performance? Or are you talking about interior? Like Raven having all leather seats, better storage area layout, push button door handles, better screens etc?

The entirety of the post (aside from me saying 75D accelerates about the same as my MY) was all about interior design, like the circa 1980's manual fan vents.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
A 75D? Lol.

The dual screens and the acceleration are worth the extra cost of a used 2019 performance S imo, assuming you can find one. Even a used P90D with Ludicrous too, although I’d want to upgrade the MCU and HW

I dont think we are talking about acceleration here. At least I am not. I am talking about sitting in a parked car and it feeling like nothing special, while sitting in MY feels futuristic. Obviously 75D is not comparable to P100D in acceleration. This is why Im not talking about raw performance.

The dual screen, I was expecting more. It just has the current album/station, road visualization and kwh usage moved from center screen to the left a bit. It doesnt offer anything new/unique. You have all that stuff on the left hand side of MY/M3 display (a better place for it in my opinion).

• Disagree
Reactions: EggyB and outdoors
I will admit I am pretty ignorant on the MS. But I was under the impression that the interior is pretty much the same on all of them? Does Raven have a completely different layout inside? Thats my main disappointment in MS. Obviously I dont expect 75D to perform like P100D lol.

So are you talking about performance? Or are you talking about interior? Like Raven having all leather seats, better storage area layout, push button door handles, better screens etc?

The entirety of the post (aside from me saying 75D accelerates about the same as my MY) was all about interior design.
No Tesla has a luxury interior, particularly in build quality.

The S is better than the (cheap) IKEA living room that are the 3/Y interiors imo. Tesla did a decent job of using futuristic minimalism as a guise for cost-cutting. Some of the technology in the 3/Y is better, which is probably why the S needs a refresh to be a true flagship car for Tesla.

No Tesla has a luxury interior, particularly in build quality.

The S is better than the (cheap) IKEA living room that are the 3/Y interiors imo. Tesla did a decent job of using futuristic minimalism as a guise for cost-cutting. Some of the technology in the 3/Y is better, which is probably why the S needs a refresh to be a true flagship car for Tesla.

Agreed, like I said in original post, MS just feels really dated after driving MY for a while. A refresh would be a huge improvement in my opinion.

I do not agree with your IKEA statement though. By that measure Apple is IKEA and Android based devices are luxury brands.

Like I said, I was expecting to be wowed by the dual screens and all the other stuff that was cut for minimalist MY/M3 design, but it just felt like getting back into a Mercedes. Its like, there is a ton of buttons and an extra display, but you get zero additional info from them. Its all the same info just scattered all around instead of being centralized in one location.

I dont think we are talking about acceleration here. At least I am not. I am talking about sitting in a parked car and it feeling like nothing special, while sitting in MY feels futuristic. Obviously 75D is not comparable to P100D in acceleration. This is why Im not talking about raw performance.
You mentioned acceleration in your post. Don’t kid yourself, you were talking about performance and interior. Both favor the S, although the Y has a few features that should be brought to the S after the refresh

• Disagree
Reactions: EggyB
You mentioned acceleration in your post. Don’t kid yourself, you were talking about performance and interior. Both favor the S, although the Y has a few features that should be brought to the S after the refresh

And read my post man. Its a 75D, do you really think I was expecting it to go faster than P100D? no. I just compared it to my MY. 99% of the post is about interior design.

Driving in LA to/from work your 75D and P100D are going to equally move at 10 miles per hour through LA traffic. Interior design becomes very important.

There are cars out there with 1000+ horsepower that will beat P100D any day even though they are ICE. Performance isnt everything. And if a car is your daily driver then its even less important.

I just had. 2014 MS 85 as a loaner. Didn’t even have autopilot. Was built in 8/14 I think.

Felt acceleration was fine. On par with LR MY.

chassis felt tight and I thought the ride was much more comfortable than the Y. Guess I am getting old.

I think at this point the MS is just a dated car. It needs an update but still an impressive car for what it is.

Reactions: Young Phenom
Kind of surprised that nobody mentioned this, but if my memory serves me right, in 2018, only fleet vehicles came in cloth. In terms of interior feeling, that does make a big difference. As for acceleration, maybe it wasn't on the right mode? The loaners always felt somewhat gimped to me when I drove them. Also, how did you get a loaner?? In Rancho Cucamonga and Pomona location, they stopped giving loaners for awhile now.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I am glad you are happy with the Y. To me the post almost feels like you are trying to convince yourself, I even found the thread title to be a bit.. odd? I just bought a used S and couldn't be happier, since it was my first Tesla I'm sure a 3 or Y would have me just as pleased. I don't think you can go wrong with any model ;)

nah, not trying to convince myself, I’m glad I got a Y over S (Even if I had the insane performance of P100D I feel like I’d be disappointed with the interior compared to newer M3 and MY design). I think it just comes down to MS just needing a refresh.

main goal of my post was to encourage those that are on the fence with MY over other models to go ahead as I feel like MY is the best Tesla right now as far as interior design. I don’t think that’s a controversial statement at all.

Well, my wife and I looked at a 3 (same interior as the Y) and while we liked it, you can tell they kept it, what's a nice way to put it.. Simple. I think if FSD was 100% the interior would make much more sense. But again, to each their own. I happen to think the S is still one of the most futuristic looking cars out there even if it has been around a few years. The 3, and by design Y, has grown on me immensely. So much so I really did consider a 3 for a while. I am glad I got the S, I'll make my wife 'suffer' with a 3 when she's ready for a new car :p

Design wise I have not seen a better looking car than MS however, interior is totally outdated and after thought ever since M3 was released. No door pockets, non intuitive interior, cup holders on armrest, phone holder in odd spot etc. Yes it has IC display compared to M3/MY but the info you get on it is just there because Tesla can not remove the IC display now. Prior to M3 at least there software was optimized for portrait display and it actually made sense as you could use multiple apps however you liked. With that you could have four different apps/info open at the same time (2 on IC display and 2 on portrait display). For those who don't know I am talking about V8 software. Back then you could use fan mode only as OP mentioned in his post. If all you cared about is the looks and performance you will love MS but if you are looking for complete package (looks, interior, newer tech etc.) it is either M3/MY.

Design wise I have not seen a better looking car than MS however, interior is totally outdated and after thought ever since M3 was released. No door pockets, non intuitive interior, cup holders on armrest, phone holder in odd spot etc. Yes it has IC display compared to M3/MY but the info you get on it is just there because Tesla can not remove the IC display now. Prior to M3 at least there software was optimized for portrait display and it actually made sense as you could use multiple apps however you liked. With that you could have four different apps/info open at the same time (2 on IC display and 2 on portrait display). For those who don't know I am talking about V8 software. Back then you could use fan mode only as OP mentioned in his post. If all you cared about is the looks and performance you will love MS but if you are looking for complete package (looks, interior, newer tech etc.) it is either M3/MY.
If you’re looking for the complete package, you’re likely still looking imo. The drivetrains are worth it though.

The interiors of 3/Y are just a different kind of pragmatic/cheap and lacking, geared more towards robotaxis than personal car. Although they’ve done a good job at hiding that behind the minimalist appeal, they also have equal missing features, and they don’t have the look or performance.

The new S with hopefully an IC, heat pump, 120+kWh battery, plaid, and more luxury car interior trim options is the complete package. I’d love that in the M3 size, but that’s likely a unicorn.

If you’re looking for the complete package, you’re likely still looking imo. The drivetrains are worth it though.

The interiors of 3/Y are just a different kind of pragmatic/cheap and lacking, geared more towards robotaxis than personal car. Although they’ve done a good job at hiding that behind the minimalist appeal, they also have equal missing features, and they don’t have the look or performance.

The new S with hopefully an IC, heat pump, 120+kWh battery, plaid, and more luxury car interior trim options is the complete package. I’d love that in the M3 size, but that’s likely a unicorn.
From all the models Tesla offers, IMO M3/MY is the complete package.
What's so luxurious about MS? In my case 2016 MS AP2 which btw was touted as the car with full self driving and NOT the watered down FSD. Headlights that needed 4 replacements due to dimming, center screen that yellowed, front control arms that broke within 50k miles, no loaner even though CEO claims everyone gets top of the line loaner (I would love to see what happens when Roadster 2.0 owner comes in for service), I personally never experienced it but months to get parts if in body shop, chargegate/battery gate (max I get is 90 kWh), software that worked (v8) when bought the car but not anymore.
These cars will never become robotaxis just like AP1 never saw "meet me at the curb" or AP2 will never see the real true advertised FSD. I do not think current hardware is even sufficient for FSD but that's a whole new discussion. NOA does not even have basic situational awareness. I am not familiar with most recent MS interior updates but 2016 AP2 MS feels as cheap as M3/MY except M3/MY is more practical with door pockets, behind seat pockets, charges way faster.

So MY is better than one of the lowest-tier Model S ever made? I hope so.

The Raven MS (the only one available to purchase now) beats the Y out in most ways.

True dat. I got an S for a loaner, a 75, and it was cheap inside and out besides being gutless. I took it home and didn't drive it for the shame, and returned it complaining about all the things they needed to do, like aligning it and balancing the tires for freeway speeds. Yes, it had cloth seats and ugly, dirty paint, too.

Still, I bought a new Raven this year. Luxurious, powerful, and gorgeous, and I love it. Don't let a cheap loaner scare you away.