Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got quoted $3000 to re-paint hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d get a few more estimates. If they all come in at $3K I’d throw in the towel and get the whole car wrapped in the color you really want. Or just do the hood in a matte black similar to the muscle cars of the late 60’s early 70’s.

Could it be done at a non-Tesla body shop? The next closest Tesla certified shop is 1.5 hours away.

The car has MSM paint, which I really like. I'm just not sure how a black hood would look. The spots aren't super noticeable, but I know they're there so they bother me. I may need to suck it up and live with it. I'm certainly not going to drop $3K on it.

Have you spoken with a good detailer? Are you sure they can be pushed out or their visibility reduced? Even try it yourself with Griot’s or similar pulsating compounds? I’ve had good luck Meguiar’s polishing compounds too.

I would bet the body shop that gave that estimate included the front bumper with the hood and then fenders back to the front doors. Common practice in matching paint..Had to do that on a car a few years ago.

Agreed. Still shocking to hear.

Have you spoken with a good detailer? Are you sure they can be pushed out or their visibility reduced? Even try it yourself with Griot’s or similar pulsating compounds? I’ve had good luck Meguiar’s polishing compounds too.

I had paint correction done with a ceramic coat. They couldn't do much for the spots, unfortunately. The body shop said they looked like "burns", or over-polishing. Odd that they're only on the hood. I guess that's the risk of buying a pre-owned car.