Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my Model 3! When should I expect my VIN assignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered: 7/5
Received VIN allocation: 8/2
Expected delivery: 8/18
Time frame upon ordering: 8-12 weeks

Spec: Performance trim
Exterior: Midnight Silver Metallic
Interior: Black

I'll let you know once I take delivery of the vehicle.

Pleasant surprise today. Vehicle just arrived and will be ready for pick up tomorrow afternoon.

Here in Maryland, ordered on 7/28- SR+, Black/Black, 18" aero and was given the 4-8 week estimate. A few days later, it changed to 5-9 weeks from order placed date. I did not receive that dreaded "5-9 weeks from today" text last week.

For the past 2+ weeks, I've been agonizing about whether to keep the 18" wheels or go with the 19's that I really always preferred. I've spent a lot of time reading the pros/cons of the 2 sizes, and also realized it could push back the timeline even more.

This morning, on 8/16, I decided to go ahead and make the switch to the 19's. Everything else is the same. It brought me back to my order page, and now it says 3-5 weeks from order placed date. At first, I was thinking I moved up the timeline significantly, but now I believe they are referring to the "order placed date" as today. The updated order agreement now shows order date as 8/16/2020.

In any case, it apparently didn't push things back at all, and possibly moved things up.

Reactions: NpOverspeed
For the past 2+ weeks, I've been agonizing about whether to keep the 18" wheels or go with the 19's that I really always preferred. I've spent a lot of time reading the pros/cons of the 2 sizes, and also realized it could push back the timeline even more.

Went through the same thing. When I first ordered, I didn't really look at the wheels closely. $1500 more, nahhh. A wheel is a wheel, right?

Then I started looking at pictures and a couple of tesla cars in the neighborhood. The sport wheels are way better looking (in my mind). I don't care about the slightly reduced range - it is just an around town car anyway. Then I started looking at aftermarket wheels - the $1500 extra didn't look so bad.

This morning, on 8/16, I decided to go ahead and make the switch to the 19's. Everything else is the same. It brought me back to my order page, and now it says 3-5 weeks from order placed date. At first, I was thinking I moved up the timeline significantly, but now I believe they are referring to the "order placed date" as today.

Good catch. My agreement was also updated. My order date is now 8/13 instead of 7/11. The delivery date is now 4 to 5 weeks. So my delivery will be between Sept 10 to Sept 17.

It does not look like it cost me any additional wait. It is probably a more common configuration (red with sport wheels).

• Informative
Reactions: RedWhite19
So a call to my rep got me some updated info..
Ordered a black on black SR+ on 7-18 with an original 4-8 week delivery timeframe. I also got the 5-8 delivery message on 8-6.
Today I got this:

While I cannot confirm any specific dates or anything as of yet, it looks like your Model 3 configuration should be built within a week and should arrive towards the end of August. I should be able to confirm more exact timing later this week.

If I were to get my delivery by the end of August it would be about 6 weeks from my original order date.
I’m in the Boston area.

So a call to my rep got me some updated info..
Ordered a black on black SR+ on 7-18 with an original 4-8 week delivery timeframe. I also got the 5-8 delivery message on 8-6.
Today I got this:

While I cannot confirm any specific dates or anything as of yet, it looks like your Model 3 configuration should be built within a week and should arrive towards the end of August. I should be able to confirm more exact timing later this week.

If I were to get my delivery by the end of August it would be about 6 weeks from my original order date.
I’m in the Boston area.
Thank you for the update! So excited for you! I ordered the same day as you with the same 4-8 week delivery timeframe but located in Dallas, TX! Would be such a great surprise if I could get mine before the month ends.

Today I noticed a new message on the order page. “Submit Your Final Payment”, which I did. I noticed I do have a VIN on my MVPA page which was located in my ‘documents’. I’m not sure if I just noticed this page or if it appeared after I made the final payment.
Either way...I think I’m getting close!

• Love
Reactions: indiarain
Today I noticed a new message on the order page. “Submit Your Final Payment”, which I did. I noticed I do have a VIN on my MVPA page which was located in my ‘documents’. I’m not sure if I just noticed this page or if it appeared after I made the final payment.
Either way...I think I’m getting close!
Sounds like you're getting close! Congratulations! What day did you order and what was your spec?

Reactions: jakieemma
Sounds like you're getting close! Congratulations! What day did you order and what was your spec?
Do you have the MVPA page? I’m wondering if I got that only after I made my final payment. It may have been there before but I don’t remember seeing it.

Attachments

• D0EED196-AF50-4D30-B193-4704B62C909C.jpeg
    D0EED196-AF50-4D30-B193-4704B62C909C.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: HTWOMS
Do you have the MVPA page? I’m wondering if I got that only after I made my final payment. It may have been there before but I don’t remember seeing it.
I do not ): Looks like you're getting close! I've heard so many different things about estimated delivery dates, update texts, etc. I've just decided to relax and be patient lol. I ordered 7/18 as well from Texas so I hope we'll be soon. I hope yours is almost here!

Reactions: jakieemma
Just another update: Refreshed my account page just now and my VIN is here! I'm located in Dallas, TX and ordered white/white SR+ with 19s on July 18th. It's 7:30pm where I am right now so I'm sure I'll be hearing from my SA tomorrow! SO excited.
Very happy for you..I’m picking up 1 week from today. Aftermarket rims and tires arrived, car goes in for total tint and chrome delete a couple days after I get it.
I’ve never driven a Tesla..do you think I’ll like it? I’m not worried about that!

Update: Just received an automated text saying my order will be ready in an estimated 3-6 weeks. Says it could be before then as well. Located in Texas, ordered White/White SR+ with 19s on 7/18. Had a 4-8 week timeframe then.

I have the same specifications as you, but in Ohio- ordered 8/3, but still no VIN/ MVPA.

Looks like we’re on the same text schedule too ...
8/10 - 3-6 weeks delivery
8/25- 2-4 weeks delivery

All paperwork is done on my end ... Hoping I’ll hear another update soon.

Keep us posted if you don’t mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: indiarain
I have the same specifications as you, but in Ohio- ordered 8/3, but still no VIN/ MVPA.

Looks like we’re on the same text schedule too ...
8/10 - 3-6 weeks delivery
8/25- 2-4 weeks delivery

All paperwork is done on my end ... Hoping I’ll hear another update soon.

Keep us posted if you don’t mind.
Where in Ohio? I'm in the Dayton area. Ordered July 17, pick up September 10 in Cincinnati.