Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered the CCS-1 adapter on the Canadian Tesla website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry what adapter are you guys referring to? I got a CCS to NACS adapter when I bought my M3 in July this year
I’ve never heard of them giving those away with a new car. Like the CHAdeMO was very expensive from Tesla and this one ain’t cheap either. They have always included the J-1772 adapter. Maybe you “paid” for it with your order?

Our 2018 Model 3 is not enabled for CCS and I had been considering getting the retrofit (and adapter). Right now I think that we will wait and see what happens with the move towards NACS. Some of the charging network operators have indicated they will include NACS on future chargers (and possibly add NACS to existing chargers). If that does happens, the need for the Tesla retrofit and adapter may not be an issue in the future. We'll see.

Our 2018 Model 3 is not enabled for CCS and I had been considering getting the retrofit (and adapter). Right now I think that we will wait and see what happens with the move towards NACS. Some of the charging network operators have indicated they will include NACS on future chargers (and possibly add NACS to existing chargers). If that does happens, the need for the Tesla retrofit and adapter may not be an issue in the future. We'll see.
I’m like a Boy Scout with the motto - “plan for the worst and hope for the best”.

Reactions: KevinT3141
CCS chargers with the NAS plug will still require the upgrade to older Tesla cars. The CCS communications will be needed to activate the chargers. Older cars can not do this communications that's why they need to upgrade.

Welp, the CCS adapter showed up just now and if weight is any consideration, this sucker weighs about 1 kg/2.2lbs. I’m assuming when you’re dealing with that much amperage, you need some heavy duty gear. OK so part one is done, now I need the ECU. Elon, are you listening here?

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 168
CCS chargers with the NAS plug will still require the upgrade to older Tesla cars. The CCS communications will be needed to activate the chargers. Older cars can not do this communications that's why they need to upgrade.
I'm not so sure about the hardware configuration for third party chargers. Currently many of those chargers have CCS and Chademo plugs which may be supported by separate internal hardware and software? If a NACS cable is added, would that use CCS communications or would there be separate communications hardware and software in the charger (somewhat akin to using a Tesla destination charger but with higher power)?

I had a charge port ecu failure and my 2021 model 3 had a Gen 3 ecu. Tesla came and fixed it yesterday and I received a Gen 4 ecu as the replacement under warranty. Additional vehicle info says ccs adapter support is now enabled. Does this mean I'm good to go for ccs charging once I have the adapter? I keep reading about a bundle of wires but not sure if I need it.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
I had a charge port ecu failure and my 2021 model 3 had a Gen 3 ecu. Tesla came and fixed it yesterday and I received a Gen 4 ecu as the replacement under warranty.
I'm guessing that you actually had a latest gen ecu without CCS capability replaced with a latest gen ecu with CCS capability.

Additional vehicle info says ccs adapter support is now enabled. Does this mean I'm good to go for ccs charging once I have the adapter?
Yes.

I keep reading about a bundle of wires but not sure if I need it.
No, you don't need this. You only need a CCS1 adapter.

Last edited:
I had a charge port ecu failure and my 2021 model 3 had a Gen 3 ecu. Tesla came and fixed it yesterday and I received a Gen 4 ecu as the replacement under warranty. Additional vehicle info says ccs adapter support is now enabled. Does this mean I'm good to go for ccs charging once I have the adapter? I keep reading about a bundle of wires but not sure if I need it.
Jealous…..

Jealous…..
It was a nice surprise when I received the work order and noted the part number. The bummer was removing all the wiring from my aftermarket sub install which tapped the power from near the hv connector. I thought their procedure might require disconnecting the main battery but it turns out they didn't even power down the car to install the new ecu. Oh well, it didn't take too long to do so and everything is now out back together.

Reactions: DuncanM