Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten faster than 43 kW charging at EVgo with the CCS adapter? I tried both "150 kW" and "350 kW" units and still only get 42 kW.

I get 55-57 kW on Chargepoint stalls.

Are the EVgo stations software limiting to "50 kW" to save on demand charge?!?

One I tested a while back maxed at 168 kW (171 kW on charger screen). It was close to the best I've done with CCS, which was low 170s at an EA. Got Autocharge+ to work as well.

What that a 150kW station or 350kW?
IIRC, there's a 350kw and two 100kw posts:

I didn't leave a check in but the app says I got 18.3kw in 17min at one of the 100kw chargers. It was a really weird charging session as the powerline nearby got hit by lightning and the charger went offline and I thought my M3 was toast! But it reset in about 5min and I started another session and all was well.

I use Chademo when visiting the Maritimes in Canada. Essentially all the FLO chargers are combined CCS/Chad, yet the highest charge available, even with CCS, is usually 50 amps One or two were only 25 amps!

No advantage to using CCS.
We charged at a 25kw CCS1 charger in Flesherton Ontario, and it was located right beside a nice bistro were we had a tasty lunch. We went from ~50% to 90% which was enough to get us to our next stop. I actually prefer slower chargers when we plan to charge and eat or shop whilst road tripping.

Has anyone gotten faster than 43 kW charging at EVgo with the CCS adapter? I tried both "150 kW" and "350 kW" units and still only get 42 kW.

I get 55-57 kW on Chargepoint stalls.

Are the EVgo stations software limiting to "50 kW" to save on demand charge?!?
Part of the evidence that there are two universes in fast DC charging. The Tesla superchargers which pretty much always work and are always available and pretty much always hit the maximum safe speed and then everybody else - which means that the charger may not work, never hits its rated speed and probably is dead anyway so you'll have to get another one. Or the payment interface doesn't work, or the plug connector is broken, or the software doesn't work, or there's always a gremlin inside the f****** machine. I honestly believe that the Electrify America machines are deliberately under maintained by VW as its way of retaliating for it's being punished in relationship to the dieselgate scandal and being forced to supply them. Does anyone wonder why non Tesla EVS are not selling? Well it's that plus the interest rate plus the fact that they're just not competitive. I don't know why anybody would use anything but the supercharger network if they had that option.

Last edited:
VW also is responsible for the Porsche products and they are fine, and if they can be charged at 350kW they are faster than a Tesla.

Also, have you been to an EA site recently? There was a time when they were always down, but then they did that Fall of Free Power in '22 or '21 as kind of a way to get people to come back to charge with them, and since then instead of the majority of the machines being down, I have found that most or all of the Posts have been up at EA sites.

And even EVgo is trying to be better. I went to one this week after upgrading my MX to CCS and the plug was shattered on the open stall, so I reported it in their app and then sent me a $10 credit for my effort.

I'm not saying that EVs aren't ever treated like the red-headed step-child, just that they are becoming more mainstream and maybe it's time for our attitudes about how we are treated by the automotive industry and the press to change too.

Last edited:
VW also is responsible for the Porsche products and they are fine, and if they can be charged at 350kW they are faster than a Tesla.

Also, have you been to an EA site recently? There was a time when they were always down, but then they did that Fall of Free Power in '22 or '21 as kind of a way to get people to come back to charge with them, and since then instead of the majority of the machines being down, I have found that most or all of the Posts have been up at EA sites.

And even EVgo is trying to be better. I went to one this week after upgrading my MX to CCS and the plug was shattered on the open stall, so I reported it in their app and then sent me a $10 credit for my effort.

I'm not saying that EVs aren't ever treated like the red-headed step-child, just that they are becoming more mainstream and maybe it's time for our attitudes about how we are treated by the automotive industry and the press to change too.
EA got a well deserved bad reputation. I'm not aware of any recent reviews, maybe Out of SPec will do another.
The one local EVGo at the Walgreens has a pretty good rep, but is seldom used from what I see.
We now have 30 SuperCharger spigots within 5 miles here in the Northwest Dallas suburbs, which are 'most always busy.
As to the "automotive industry", as long as our paid for politicians (sorry for the redundancy) are in the pockets of the dealers' associations, petro industry, unions and the ever more FUDI ridden media, EVs in general and Tesla in particular will be treated like the red headed bastard stepchild.
Meantime, Illegitimus Non Carborundum!

Reactions: KJD and buckets0fun
EA got a well deserved bad reputation. I'm not aware of any recent reviews, maybe Out of SPec will do another.
The one local EVGo at the Walgreens has a pretty good rep, but is seldom used from what I see.
We now have 30 SuperCharger spigots within 5 miles here in the Northwest Dallas suburbs, which are 'most always busy.
As to the "automotive industry", as long as our paid for politicians (sorry for the redundancy) are in the pockets of the dealers' associations, petro industry, unions and the ever more FUDI ridden media, EVs in general and Tesla in particular will be treated like the red headed bastard stepchild.
Meantime, Illegitimus Non Carborundum!
I recently checked out two EA stations at Deming and Lordsburg NM and a CP station at Deming. All 12 CCS1 posts appeared operational. As of Jan 29, according to Plugshare 11 were operational but two (EA Deming were derated).

Part of the evidence that there are two universes in fast DC charging. The Tesla superchargers which pretty much always work and are always available and pretty much always hit the maximum safe speed and then everybody else - which means that the charger may not work, never hits its rated speed and probably is dead anyway so you'll have to get another one. Or the payment interface doesn't work, or the plug connector is broken, or the software doesn't work, or there's always a gremlin inside the f****** machine. I honestly believe that the Electrify America machines are deliberately under maintained by VW as its way of retaliating for it's being punished in relationship to the dieselgate scandal and being forced to supply them. Does anyone wonder why non Tesla EVS are not selling? Well it's that plus the interest rate plus the fact that they're just not competitive. I don't know why anybody would use anything but the supercharger network if they had that option.
You know that non-Teslas in 2023 were 45% of the US EV market, right?
So, that means 540,000 non-Teslas were sold in the USA in 2023. That's more than US EV sales in 2021.

EA had more problems initially with chargers. But unfortunately they are no uptime requirements in the agreed plans with California and the EPA so they were able to get away with it.

NEVI adds more money but also spreads it out more, so it shouldn't be too long before EA is just another network.

Reactions: DuncanM
As to the "automotive industry" [...] EVs in general and Tesla in particular will be treated like the red headed bastard stepchild.
I was suggesting that you look at the Press again. If you are seeing bad actions we'd be interested to know, but I have seen a lot of recent maturity. Sure the Auto Dealers have submitted requests to delay EV adoption (some Polestar employees admitted if they didn't sign it they would lose their jobs), but I just signed the petition going around rejecting those requests and asking the Biden admin to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation.

Reactions: dfwatt and drdumont

That's encouraging. Certainly their dismal performance could not last or their business model would fail completely. Obviously, competition is good, and my understanding is that their prices vary from significantly over the supercharger Network to sometimes a bit under. In any case it's great to hear that there are other options for folks besides the supercharger network. The more the merrier

Got a new software update and there is mention of "3rd party NACS" compatibility for "some"... guess it comes down to having the CCS retrofit for older Teslas...
Mine too. Now shows 3rd party NACS etc… hopefully this means the retrofit kit is coming soon…

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: thefrog1394
Mine too. Now shows 3rd party NACS etc… hopefully this means the retrofit kit is coming soon…
So, is the consensus that older Teslas need the CCS retrofit in order to charge at a third party charger with a NACS connector? If so, as more third party chargers add NACS connectors, the time will come when older Teslas may need the retrofit but not the adapter? From what I see on the Tesla website, right now, one can buy either the adapter or bundle the adapter and retrofit. I'm on the fence about taking the plunge.

Reactions: Rocky_H
So, is the consensus that older Teslas need the CCS retrofit in order to charge at a third party charger with a NACS connector? If so, as more third party chargers add NACS connectors, the time will come when older Teslas may need the retrofit but not the adapter? From what I see on the Tesla website, right now, one can buy either the adapter or bundle the adapter and retrofit. I'm on the fence about taking the plunge.
It's not "consensus," it's fact. NACS uses Power Line Communication (PLC, AKA the method CCS uses) for DC charging, it was in the standard from day one. Older vehicles without retrofit do not support PLC (which uses a patented chip). Superchargers use CAN instead.

"For DC charging, communication between the EV and EVSE shall be power line communication over the control pilot line as depicted in DIN 70121."
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-mapping-singularity-is-near-medium-definition-maps.225350/

The only exceptions are some EVgo chargers that actually use a built in CHAdeMO adapter, but these existed before NACS were a thing and being it's just a CHAdeMO adapter, power is limited to 50kW.