Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not much time for prophesy of “retrofit for older cars in 2023” to be fulfilled.
I don't think Tesla ever said that they would “retrofit for older cars in 2023”. Like what it currently says:

NOTE: FOR MODEL 3 AND MODEL Y VEHICLES REQUIRING A RETROFIT, PLEASE CHECK BACK IN LATE 2023 FOR AVAILABILITY.

It is pretty late in 2023, and there is still no availability estimate. So, I assume they will update the message soon. Hopefully the next update will have more details, or just say it is available to order now. (Especially given that it sounds like they are opening the Supercharger network up to NACS partners starting in February.)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and APotatoGod
So, I assume they will update the message soon.
I think pretty soon Tesla is going to have to add an option to upgrade without including the adapter, to allow non-CCS compatible cars to work with non-Tesla fast DC chargers with NACS connectors. They could call it something like full NACS compatibility upgrade.

I suppose they could still force the inclusion of the CCS1 adapter with all upgrades, to maintain a single price, but that would be contrary to their desire to eventually have NACS used on all EVSE and DC chargers in North America.

I don't think Tesla ever said that they would “retrofit for older cars in 2023”.
I didn’t mean to imply that. Neither Tesla nor Elon made any such “promise” that I am aware of.

The “retrofit coming in 2023” comes straight from the title of this thread. Seemed like a likely prediction at the time. 😀

GSP

I finally broke down and scheduled service to replace my original 12V battery. I also asked about the CCS upgrade. This was their response.

IMG_2384.jpeg

Does anyone else read this to mean that they are building a list of interested customers?

I finally broke down and scheduled service to replace my original 12V battery. I also asked about the CCS upgrade. This was their response.

View attachment 1005165

Does anyone else read this to mean that they are building a list of interested customers?

Not really.

I dont read it any different than:

===========================
"Thanks for asking. We will let you know when / if this ever becomes available. Dont bother asking us further because we dont have any more information about that timeframe than you do".
===========================

Reactions: Rocky_H
Pristine 2016 Titanium P90D 600ish VIN w/ FUSC and 69k that I paid $40k for
I hope you have a V3 90 kWh battery in your X and not a V1 or V2.

Doubtful, it's early 2016, it has Ludicrous Mode, it's got a nice charge curve that maxes around 130kW with rated range of 230 miles. Seems to stay under 110° at least so far, it's winter

Reading the thread you sent:
Nothing is "wrong" with V1/V2 batteries (that isn't wrong with ALL 90 packs), they just aren't capable of providing the max current needed for a Ludicrous launch. They are perfectly fine for Insane cars.
I drive in Chill so probably never gonna touch the max draw of the battery

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten faster than 43 kW charging at EVgo with the CCS adapter? I tried both "150 kW" and "350 kW" units and still only get 42 kW.

I get 55-57 kW on Chargepoint stalls.

Are the EVgo stations software limiting to "50 kW" to save on demand charge?!?