Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just purchased at full MSRP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey everyone I finally went through and got pretty much a loaded m3 AWD with everything but red paint, at a purchase price of $58,400. I know Tesla’s ways of normally not discounting their cars, but I have read so much on people getting some type of discount. Is this common of majority of m3 owners to be buying at full MSRP?

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Yes. This is only the second time I have paid “sticker” for a new car.

The other time was for a Saturn.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I had to order that car, too. I think I waited 2 months or so to get the exact config built to order. Too bad Saturn did not survive the financial crisis - their customer service was fantastic.

Last edited:
Find the actual prices paid spreadsheet that's floating around. People order lesser optioned cars and get upgraded to take what's in inventory. Near the end of last quarter I was offered several LR AWD cars with like 3 miles on them at a $4-5k discount because they wanted to sell them before the end of the quarter. I didn't want the range penalty of AWD so passed. The discounts are there if you look.

Edit: the people who paid full price will tell you they're not.

• Informative
Reactions: cbaaz
hey everyone I finally went through and got pretty much a loaded m3 AWD with everything but red paint, at a purchase price of $58,400. I know Tesla’s ways of normally not discounting their cars, but I have read so much on people getting some type of discount. Is this common of majority of m3 owners to be buying at full MSRP?

The people who are getting discounts on their cars have some combination of:

1. Taking an inventory car (that may or may not be the exact color they ordered, with the exact interior and wheel option they ordered (such as the car offered being AWD when you ordered RWD, or different color or different wheel options.
2. Taking a car that may have been a demo car, or may have been "sitting" for some reason
3. Purchased at the end of tesla's quarter, with a car on order that was not going to make the end of quarter shipping (and tesla offering them an in inventory car that would make the end of quarter ship date).

Its not like a "regular" dealership where every salesman is negotiating with every person who is buying, and paying MSRP in such a situation is not expected.

Its possible to get a discount on a new tesla if you are willing to hunt around, possibly willing to take more car than you originally wanted (upgrade to LR vs a SR+ you ordered for example), or take a color that has an up charge more than what you originally ordered (not paying for the red paint upgrade for example, on an inventory car that is red).

So, yes its normal to pay MSRP, and no you didnt get ripped off. Depending on what you are ordering, and your tolerance for uncertainty (If that inventory car has been sitting for 3 months... why exactly has it been sitting? You will never find out the real answer), its possible to get a discount... but its not "expected".

My feeling is, when there is a big discount, there is a reason for that discount.

My feeling is, when there is a big discount, there is a reason for that discount.

Of course. This applies to the 50% off MSRP on i3s and Leafs around Socal as well. Those are junk cars that couldn't be sold at 50% off. It's a great deal until its time you want to get rid of it yourself. :D

Given that, am I correct to assume there won't be a discount on a base black SR below $35K?

No, don't think so. Tesla doesn't even sell them on their website so anyone knowing to hunt for them would definitely be paying 35K or more.

Yes. This is only the second time I have paid “sticker” for a new car.

The other time was for a Saturn.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I had to order that car, too. I think I waited 2 months or so to get the exact config built to order. Too bad Saturn did not survive the financial crisis - their customer service was fantastic.

I hadn't made that connection before, but you are spot on right.

If we could combine the Tesla product with Saturn's service and logistics ....