Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just test drove a Performance 3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A buddy of mine with P100D said that's not (as much?) the case with his. He thinks it might be related to suspension (air vs coil)
Here's a P100D launch at a drag strip.

Every car does it under acceleration. The degree that you feel it may be different depending on a number of factors, but all cars squat. Physics doesn't discriminate.

Huh, I suppose with air suspension you could try to dynamically increase the rear suspension during heavy acceleration to combat the weight shift to the rear, though I doubt any air suspension system is able to react quickly enough to really help there.

Huh, I suppose with air suspension you could try to dynamically increase the rear suspension during heavy acceleration to combat the weight shift to the rear, though I doubt any air suspension system is able to react quickly enough to really help there.

Volvo had active-suspension prototypes back in the late 80's (I think) that did this. They eliminated squat (on acceleration) and dive (on braking) and could even have the car lean into the turn on turns. New Scientist

The technology didn't end up being commercialized, however, because it interfered with "seat of the pants" cues for the driver and made the car difficult and unpleasant to drive.

I hate Sydney's traffic control too, but the numbers don't lie...

Very remote must be where they filmed Mad Max..I can imagine all the Cops their grew up watching this..

Int_2015_Chart.png

Last edited:
** In theory. In practice burden tends to be on person trying to contradict a police officer's statement. I've done it pro se in traffic court (in Canada) but had to hustle hard, and be dead in the right, to win the day. Basically had to come up with a locked down reason I wasn't guilty without directly relying on judge disbelief of the officer.

Judges and juries tend to be very deferential towards LEOs.
Thanks to performance cars I learned to be my own legal council in a court of law (I'm not paying for a lawyer and the ones I saw where a joke), not something to be proud of but found useful later in life. As you said has be air tight. Of the occasion there was no way out (I had no contrary supporting evidence but was able to prove doubt) I was able to bargain a lesser fine and another have the charge dismissed due to my clean driving record, driver training history and professional title. Even so it was still difficult and heavily dependent on the Judge's mood.

I did say fast cars are fun didn't I....

PS. LEOs?

I drove to the snow and back this weekend, and the most dangerous drivers are the ones doing 76kph in 100 zones, with a line of 20 cars behind them.
If everyone would just sit on 105 there’d be no dangerous overtaking, no road rage, no rear-enders.
Nah too easy, same way I see people jamming on their brakes on big downhill freeways and through corners randomly in the wet to keep under the limit, just plain stupid. The ones that dont use cruise control in the dry piss me off, especially if its a $100K+ euro junker that has radar guide cruise control that they ignore but drive it like a 80s Toyota corolla

Base Model 3 is enough for *you* there. By your logic why do people still buy performance cars there?
Just because something is ought to be "more than enough" does not mean it's what one wants.
Calm down princess, I said its poor value and wont appreciate it unless you take it to the track, which I suggest P3D owners should do so they can explore and enjoy their cars, fast cars are fun but can get you into trouble. If you do a track day, you will get it out of your system, can enjoy driving the car normally and be happy you have that extra power at your disposal.

It helps that Tesla's are somewhat subtle. Garishness is usually what gets you pulled over. With a Tesla, there's no obnoxious engine roar, and little to no peel out, so you can generally get away with max acceleration as long as you are doing it in generally safe conditions (no nearby pedestrians or other significant dangers).
Its good but its no cloaking device, drive like a clown you will get done or in an accident. Problem is with fast car is that people dont expect them, EVs will be worse because no noise. If you ever driven a motorbike on the road you will understand this, first thing you do is slapp on a loud pipe.

Last edited:
Test drove a P3D+ today and it was quite fun! Hopping on the highway via a short on ramp was no problem, and very exhilarating. The car itself seemed to have more wind noise than a LR 3 I drove via Turo last month. The drive was smooth, and flat through corners. The white interior was soft, amazing to look at, but had a strong new car odor that I don't look forward to. Can't wait for the arrival of mine in the next week or two!

Reactions: bdy0627 and P85_DA
LOL I live in Sydney Australia, it sucks, its a Police nanny state. Patrol cars, speed camera, toll roads, fixed speed cameras, mobile speed cameras, red light speed cameras. Its a Orwellian driving hell lol

There also the issue here about modified cars, police target them and can defect them off the roads on the spot for minor offenses. I made a lot of effort to modify my WRX keeping it looking stock to fly under the radar. They will defect stock cars here, Porsche GT3 roll cage people will get defect and fined. Benz C63 stock exhaust too loud, on a tow truck and fined.

So yeah base model 3 more than enough here.
You should move to Alice Springs. I spent a year in Oz with my wife and Uluru was one of our favorite spots...but boy, is it desolate out there, lol. Like DESOLATE. Ps. We love your country and if it were easy, we'd leave Trump States and live forever in the Whitsundays, haha.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Correct. I have the stiffer suspension that came on the P85+. (Which coincidentally was my previous Tesla.)

All these newer vehicles are way to soft for me.

Agreed! I don't understand why even the flagship Model S P100D doesn't have the P+ suspension...

Anyway, back on topic: curious to know if the OP has any thoughts on the cornering capabilities of the M3P.
I'll be test-driving one on Saturday and will provide feedback then, but in the meantime any feedback would be highly appreciated!

Here's my notes comparing the Model 3 AWD Performance to my P85D (with P85+ suspension.)

My P85D was able to handle the same S curves, balanced and tight. Though it felt much heavier. I got the tires to screech in both cars,it might just have been the road materials in that area that I test drove it in.

My P85D is definitely more punchy from 0 to 40 but after 40 the P85D lets up. The 3 is less punchy 0-30 but then it starts pushing you harder than the P85D around 40 MPH.

The P85D feels more stable and planted but that might just be the extra weight and/or the air suspension.

If I had the choice to drive either one I think the P85D would be slightly better for normal day to day spirited driving, especially on the freeway. The 3 would take it if you just wanted to have a little more through the corners and a better 40-80 MPH car. Mind you this is comparing a P85D with P85+ suspension which is a more aggressive set up than what you'd get today in an S.

I know they can eek out a better 0-60, at least 3 seconds flat. They just have to punch you from 0-30 (which I know they can). Would be amazing if they did that later on with a software update.

The P85D to me felt more comfortable to drive, I also had more confidence than in the 3. It could be because I’ve been driving it longer, time will tell when I swap cars in a month or two.

The 3 felt like it was on rails and a slight flick of the steering wheel and you’re gone--into the next lane. The 3 is extremely responsive and unforgiving in a way whereas the P85D required more steering before you’d end up in the next lane. Not sure if that makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: GTIceman
Here's my notes comparing the Model 3 AWD Performance to my P85D (with P85+ suspension.)

My P85D was able to handle the same S curves, balanced and tight. Though it felt much heavier. I got the tires to screech in both cars,it might just have been the road materials in that area that I test drove it in.

My P85D is definitely more punchy from 0 to 40 but after 40 the P85D lets up. The 3 is less punchy 0-30 but then it starts pushing you harder than the P85D around 40 MPH.

The P85D feels more stable and planted but that might just be the extra weight and/or the air suspension.

If I had the choice to drive either one I think the P85D would be slightly better for normal day to day spirited driving, especially on the freeway. The 3 would take it if you just wanted to have a little more through the corners and a better 40-80 MPH car. Mind you this is comparing a P85D with P85+ suspension which is a more aggressive set up than what you'd get today in an S.

I know they can eek out a better 0-60, at least 3 seconds flat. They just have to punch you from 0-30 (which I know they can). Would be amazing if they did that later on with a software update.

The P85D to me felt more comfortable to drive, I also had more confidence than in the 3. It could be because I’ve been driving it longer, time will tell when I swap cars in a month or two.

The 3 felt like it was on rails and a slight flick of the steering wheel and you’re gone--into the next lane. The 3 is extremely responsive and unforgiving in a way whereas the P85D required more steering before you’d end up in the next lane. Not sure if that makes sense.

P3D feels twitchy? I’m test driving it over the weekend.

Well, compared to my P85D it's slightly more twitchy. That's because the steering wheel is smaller, less weight and it's a smaller car. It would be like comparing a BMW M3 to a BMW M6. I've driven both of those, and you eventually get used to whatever car you have. So it's not like a bad twitchy, it's just that if you are coming from a Model S then, yeah, it's more twitchy. Again, not in a bad way, just in a way that you will eventually get used to. And if you went back to a Model S you'd probably say the steering was too slow...

P3D feels twitchy? I’m test driving it over the weekend.

Just another data point...

I had a brief test drive today of Performance 3 in with dry pavement in Bellevue/Redmond, WA. It definitely has less "gut punch" than my current daily driver Dec '14 P100D, and felt "about like" (~19 month old) memories of my Dec '14 P85D -- maybe between Insane (pre-op) and Ludicrous (post-op). It definitely has the same "keep pulling" feel after ~40mph that P85D added to P85D. Definitely feels nimbler/lighter than both S. Unquestionably better all-around driving experience than '12 S P85 (sorry, TesS; still love ya).

The biggest takeaway for me was the behavior when losing traction. I took a few on- and off-ramps with, um, "spirit". At one moment, it felt like all 4 tires broke loose (i.e. drift). That's not something I've ever felt in the S on dry pavement. But that part wasn't the surprising part. What impressed me was how the car reacted -- traction re-acquired, let's keep moving, no power nanny. I've never felt a Tesla S that didn't argue with me when traction let loose even slightly. Note: This isn't with Track Mode (which wasn't even available in the firmware on my test drive).

Approximate location ~ 1:45pm PT:
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=6623692d-7e0e-4815-a893-d06e5f2a64d9&cp=47.666652~-122.128753&lvl=18&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

When I got home, this caught my eye in the Q2'18 Update Letter:
Traction control software of Model 3 Performance has been substantially modified and it now allows drivers to powerslide, something that true track enthusiasts have been craving.

Now that you mentioned it, that’s exactly what I experienced too. All four tires were screeching and the car had no problem with it. It didn’t back off, it let me ride the edge of traction.

The biggest takeaway for me was the behavior when losing traction. I took a few on- and off-ramps with, um, "spirit". At one moment, it felt like all 4 tires broke loose (i.e. drift). That's not something I've ever felt in the S on dry pavement. But that part wasn't the surprising part. What impressed me was how the car reacted -- traction re-acquired, let's keep moving, no power nanny. I've never felt a Tesla S that didn't argue with me when traction let loose even slightly. Note: This isn't with Track Mode (which wasn't even available in the firmware on my test drive).

Approximate location ~ 1:45pm PT:
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=6623692d-7e0e-4815-a893-d06e5f2a64d9&cp=47.666652~-122.128753&lvl=18&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

When I got home, this caught my eye in the Q2'18 Update Letter:

Reactions: Bobsil